Why become a member? ×

Help my amp is now too loud :)

steve-bbb

Eqpt = Hartke LH500 into a Hydrive410

previously i was playing a passive J into the head via a couple of boss pedals (with levels set to match the clean signal)

recently purchased on the sale forum here a nice little dbx160a rack compressor - ive tried this in line in fromt of the amp input and also in the send/return loop (where i am informed it will do its job to best effect)

after i started using the comp the amp has become extremley loud - at same time i also loaded a j-east01 preamp into the J so the output from that is now rather massive - i tried turning down the input gain on the comp but it still frreequently flashes into the orange and red on the comp - indeed the first time i gigged it i did start to experience what i thought at the time was power amp break up possibly where the whole preamp signal was driving the power amp too hard - i gigged it a second time and turned down the input gain on the comp but still clips into red - the only way to stop the comp from clipping into the red seems to be reducing the master vol on the guitar

do i need to adjust the trim pots on the active eq - is it likely that the signal from the guitar is the cause and not the amp.comp?

ta muchly :rolleyes:

Almost certainly this is to do with converting your bass to active.

Have you tried starting with all the knobs set to "neutral", i.e. no boost or cut at all?

If that's still giving you a sharp increase in gain, then see whether there are trim pots you can tame it with.

A good preamp should be capable of providing complete transparency as well as loads of boost and shaping, and John East makes exceedingly good preamps.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1449914439' post='2927878']
[/quote]

+1. Almost certainly too much gain on the East. I have 3 East pre-Amps, (well 2 are ACG but same principle), and in the Instructions John suggests that minimum gain on the pre-amp is sufficient for most installations.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1449914439' post='2927878']

Have you tried starting with all the knobs set to "neutral", i.e. no boost or cut at all?

If that's still giving you a sharp increase in gain, then see whether there are trim pots you can tame it with.

A good preamp should be capable of providing complete transparency as well as loads of boost and shaping, and John East makes exceedingly good preamps.
[/quote]

yes there are trim pots - my thoughts were that the one i bought on the forum here might have been trimmed high so will adjust it down - but i also bought a brand new uni-pre from john east to put in my status and that was also very high - also have a trb which is active which ive used with the head but the yamaha cicrcuit seems nowhere near as big as the east

will have a fiddle with them when i can find a teenie screwdriver

what would you suggest? wind them right back the minimum and then slowly wind back up until they seem to be around about the same sort of output level as the yamaha which has always been fine?

ta

What you really want is for your bass to sound passive and exactly as it was before until you decide otherwise and start either changing the level (boost and/or cut) or changing the sound (tone-shaping).

In theory (and usually in practice too) it is possible to set the controls of an on-board preamp so that they effectively "do nothing". That gives you a reliable, flat platform from which to start using the preamp.

If I were you, I'd set the preamp knobs to as flat as you can, then set the trim knobs to produce exactly the same volume as if there was no preamp fitted.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1449918674' post='2927921']
What you really want is for your bass to sound passive and exactly as it was before until you decide otherwise and start either changing the level (boost and/or cut) or changing the sound (tone-shaping).

In theory (and usually in practice too) it is possible to set the controls of an on-board preamp so that they effectively "do nothing". That gives you a reliable, flat platform from which to start using the preamp.

If I were you, I'd set the preamp knobs to as flat as you can, then set the trim knobs to produce exactly the same volume as if there was no preamp fitted.
[/quote]

marvellous - thanks will give it a go later when i find the teenie screwdrivers

possible trip to maplins as i need to buy a little battery tag connector as the one in the yammy just bust so another little soldering job :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1449918674' post='2927921']

[/quote]
Unless the East pre-amp is the "flat response" version, there is already a pre-shape built in even with everything flat. I'm sure if you speak to John, he will tell you how to dial it out.

I’ve read your post and had a look at the manuals for your gear to find out what they do and how they operate. I have a couple of questions to start with:
What sort of settings did you have your bass and amp eq’s set at?
Have you tried your bass straight into the amps active input, [b][u]without[/u][/b] the compressor in the effects loop? How did it sound?
Have you tried your bass straight into the amps active input, [b][u]with[/u][/b] the compressor in the effects loop but [b][u]with[/u][/b] the bypass switch enabled? How did it sound?
Have you tried your bass straight into the amp [b][u]with[/u][/b] the compressor in the effects loop but [b][u]without[/u][/b] the bypass switch enabled? What were the compressor settings? How did it sound?

Mike

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1449913174' post='2927867']
recently purchased on the sale forum here a nice little dbx160a rack compressor - ive tried this in line in fromt of the amp input and also in the send/return loop (where i am informed it will do its job to best effect) :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I think you could probably do with a little more understanding on either what a compressor does, or what a typical FX send/return does - or possibly even both.

Your compressor is basically a automated gain control which will reduce your gain proportionally every time your signal is above a threshold level. If you have the output gain set to 0, it will only produce the same or lower level than the input. This should normally be in-line with the signal.

Your FX loop is in parallel with the signal path, and so is really intented for additive effects (like chorus, reverb, delay, flanging).

If you put a compressor in the FX loop, all you're doing is adding the compressed signal to the direct signal. No effect will be audible unless you use a whole load of make-up gain (output gain on the compressor) to raise the level of the effect. But it's really not where a compressor should be - unless you're after some unusual effect that I can't think off.

And, while I think everyone else is likely to be right in guessing that it's the active pre in the bass that's giving the extra gain - it's worth checking that you don't have some massive make-up gain set on the compressor?

Also, there's nothing to stop you, with the compressor in-line with the bass and the amp, using the make-up gain to drop the overall input to the amp. But that's not exactly the most effective gain structure in your signal chain.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1450101103' post='2929540'] I didn't know the LH500 has a parallel effects loop, well there ya go. Bit naff as there's no blend control either, which kinda restricts it somewhat. [/quote]

Well, while I don't know, this from the manual implies that it's a traditional parallel send/return loop, as it mentions the use of only reverb/delay effect - nothing about dynamic effects:

[color=#000080]EFFECTS SEND jack - Use this 1/4” unbalanced jack to send low impedance (100 ohm) signals from the Model LH500
to a professional outboard effects processor such as a reverb, echo, chorus, flanger, or harmonizer device.
EFFECTS RETURN jack - Use this 1/4” unbalanced jack to return low impedance (600 ohm) signals to the Model LH500
and LH1000 from a professional outboard effects processor.[/color]

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1450182989' post='2930306'] I'm pretty sure you're right. [/quote]

To test this out, rather than just guessing, plug unconnected cables into both the send and return jacks - I suspect there will be no break in the signal chain, which would tell you that this is a parallel loop. If you lose signal, then it is indeed a serial effects loop (better known as an insert).

Although I've never come across an effects send/return which doesn't work this way - although I never realised that for years, which eventually explained why some effects weren't working for me as desired...

Edited by Alec

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1450092040' post='2929437']
And, while I think everyone else is likely to be right in guessing that it's the active pre in the bass that's giving the extra gain - it's worth checking that you don't have some massive make-up gain set on the compressor?
[/quote]

Also, check whether the compressor has a mic/line switch and check your running on the line level if your putting it in your loop, or mic level if your sticking it in front of the pre-amp where it belongs imho.

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1450187491' post='2930362']

Well, while I don't know...
To test this out, rather than just guessing...
[/quote]

Who's guessing...?

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1450187491' post='2930362']
... plug unconnected cables into both the send and return jacks - I suspect there will be no break in the signal chain, which would tell you that this is a parallel loop. If you lose signal, then it is indeed a serial effects loop (better known as an insert). Although I've never come across an effects send/return which doesn't work this way - although I never realised that for years, which eventually explained why some effects weren't working for me as desired... [/quote]

Thanks for the teach-in, but I'm well aware of the difference.

To be absolutely clear, the LH500 has a serial effects loop.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1450182989' post='2930306']
I'm pretty sure you're right.
[/quote]

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1450451953' post='2932992']
Who's guessing...?
To be absolutely clear, the LH500 has a serial effects loop.
[/quote]
From your first "pretty sure" response I thought you were. You now appear more certain.

That's fine.

As I didn't know, and no-one else was certain, and the manual was implying that it was a parallel effects loop, then a simple test to confirm one way or another is a sensible thing to do.

I've lost track of the times when some simple testing shows that something isn't configured as I assumed it would be.