Why become a member? ×

Who do you prefer vocally - The Who or The Beatles?

The-Ox

Well I'm a massive fan of the The Who and JE is my all time favourite bass player but there's no question that the Beatles vocals and the way they interacted were pretty special. For me though it's the raw power of Roger Daltrey's voice out in front that edges it.

interesting! The Beatles were certainly world class harmonizers, and they have great voices on their own, but I think The Who have better voices and harmonize just as well in my opinion. Townshend for me has a serially underrated voice, as does John Entwistle, who has the best vocal range out of the whole band. Listen to his falsetto when they play See Me, Feel Me at Woodstock, then compare that two My Wife from Who's Next merely two years later. I even like Roger's vocals pre-Tommy even before he developed that trademark roar, but obviously Roger's voice Tommy and onwards is his best

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1449785242' post='2926917']
interesting! The Beatles were certainly world class harmonizers, and they have great voices on their own, but I think The Who have better voices and harmonize just as well in my opinion. Townshend for me has a serially underrated voice, as does John Entwistle, who has the best vocal range out of the whole band. Listen to his falsetto when they play See Me, Feel Me at Woodstock, then compare that two My Wife from Who's Next merely two years later. I even like Roger's vocals pre-Tommy even before he developed that trademark roar, but obviously Roger's voice Tommy and onwards is his best
[/quote]

With you all the way there. JE's voice on The Quiet One is, in my opinion, good enough to front just about any rock band you'd care to mention and PT's vocal on I'm One is really pure and haunting.
For a group effort the performance on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is a pretty good example too.

Edited by Painy

The really are different things. Comparing apples and oranges comes to mind.

If I had to make a choice, I'd have to go for The Beatles. The Beatles had two first rate lead vocalists, George was OK, and Ringo rounded them out with character. The Who had one first rate lead vocalist, and I'd rate Pete Townshend's singing as similar to Ringo's.

But, I don't think there's a need to prefer one to the other.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1449785580' post='2926924']
With you all the way there. JE's voice on The Quiet One is, in my opinion, good enough to front just about any rock band you'd care to mention and PT's vocal on I'm One is really pure and haunting.
For a group effort the performance on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is a pretty good example too.

yeah thats a great performance! I really like John's vocals on Whiskey Man, I think its his best! He had to double track the vocals as he couldn't say his R's so said each word with an L and then with a W - so he recorded the word friend by recording fwend and flend together!

[/quote]
[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1449785696' post='2926928']
Daltrey had the best voice, but I think that the famous Beatle harmonies are just so recognisable and evocative of an era that it's impossible to ignore their quality and strength.

I find McCartney and Lennons voices quite bland individually though.

agreed on The Beatle's harmonies being the most recognizable - when you think of mid 60s bands in a suit, they almost all tried to copy The Beatle's singing

[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449786119' post='2926937']
Two completely different types of bands.I'm a big fan of both.

Blue

yep, both so different, both so great!
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1449786929' post='2926959']
I think John Lennon's vocals are excellent and we'll rounded, but for me, roger dawltry's raw power still hits me like a hammer.
[/quote]

I agree here - Roger wins it for me, but I do like John's singing - he harmonizes really well on Dandelion by The Rolling Stones - well worth checking out!

think I used the multiquote function a bit wrong there

perhaps I should've said you don't need a favourite, but its interesting to compare

I'd disagree when you put Ringo's vocal capabilities on par with Pete's! Townshend can evoke far more emotion, not that Ringo's songs were built for that. But even on the ear Pete has one of the best voices I've heard (my personal taste and opinion, no facts)

The Beatles! Paul's voice is just so much YES! 'Oh Darling' springs to mind. The dynamics in that song are fabulous. For the record I also absolutely love The Who. Moony used to own the pub I drink in back in the 60's!

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1449788827' post='2926983']
Moony used to own the pub I drink in back in the 60's!
[/quote]

Hah, I can beat that claim to fame ;)
My stepmum used to manage their official fan club back in the late 60s through into the 70s and still speaks to Roger Daltrey on the phone occasionally. She also has everything they released on vinyl up until Keith's death signed by the whole band!
Her old photo albums are pretty impressive too and she really knows how to name drop. I remember when I played a CD of my band's first recording to my dad many years ago, she came through from the kitchen when our version of 20th Century Boy came on and just came out with "I know that one, it's T-Rex. Marc Bolan was one of my best friends"!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1449788827' post='2926983']
The Beatles! Paul's voice is just so much YES! 'Oh Darling' springs to mind. The dynamics in that song are fabulous. For the record I also absolutely love The Who. Moony used to own the pub I drink in back in the 60's!
[/quote]

nice one! is that the one down the road from Tara house?

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1449791852' post='2927017']
Hah, I can beat that claim to fame ;)
My stepmum used to manage their official fan club back in the late 60s through into the 70s and still speaks to Roger Daltrey on the phone occasionally. She also has everything they released on vinyl up until Keith's death signed by the whole band!
Her old photo albums are pretty impressive too and she really knows how to name drop. I remember when I played a CD of my band's first recording to my dad many years ago, she came through from the kitchen when our version of 20th Century Boy came on and just came out with "I know that one, it's T-Rex. Marc Bolan was one of my best friends"!
[/quote]

That's insane! Do you get to meet these guys? Hook a fellow BC'er up :)

The Beatles win hands down on this. From the early stuff like This Boy and Here There and Everywhere to the later stuff like Because and You never Give me your Money, the harmonies send a shiver down the spine.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1449792885' post='2927024']
The Beatles win hands down on this. From the early stuff like This Boy and Here There and Everywhere to the later stuff like Because and You never Give me your Money, the harmonies send a shiver down the spine.
[/quote]

Their harmonies are very impressive I agree!

I think another point to consider in favour od The Who is live vocals. I've neber really heard them have an off day vocals wise, and nailed it when i saw them in July. Credit to Roger who gets through those shows given the way he sings does take its toll! (Hes had quite a bit of trouble recently with his voice i think). Whereas someone like Jagger isn't always great live! (Still great nevertheless)

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1449792755' post='2927021']

nice one! is that the one down the road from Tara house?
[/quote]

It's the Crown and Cushion hotel in Chipping Norton, few pics on the walls of him (and Daltrey) living it large in the bar. Awesome. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1449792885' post='2927024']
[/quote]

+1
I think the close harmonies on their version of You Really Got A Hold On Me are stunning. I was never a fan of the Who though.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449786119' post='2926937']
Two completely different types of bands.
Blue
[/quote]

Yep.
I prefer Macca and Lennon singing Beatles tunes,
and Daltrey singing Who songs. If either tried to sing the other band songs, well.....
Imagine, Lennon trying to sing 'Won't get Fooled again...', Dog and Duck written all over it**