Why become a member? Ɨ

Dual Bass Gig Bags??

Deedee

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1448395694' post='2915130']
It's a trade off. Two bags is a pain in one way, whereas one bag is cumbersome and more heavy. If you really want to do it though, the new Gator bag is very nice and well priced though.
[/quote]

Is that the 'Pro-Go' Gator bag?

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1448395955' post='2915135']
I have a mono double gig bag and can't recommend them highly enough. It was pretty expensive but it's been my main case for around 6 or 7 years now and it's still like new. Really well made!
[/quote]

I have Mono M80 single bag now and as you say they're so well made. I may be pushing it to justify Ā£200 for the double though (I picked the single up for a relative bargain)

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1448395955' post='2915135']
I have a mono double gig bag and can't recommend them highly enough. It was pretty expensive but it's been my main case for around 6 or 7 years now and it's still like new. Really well made!
[/quote]

I bought one of these recently from these very shores. Very happy with it, best gig bag I've ever had and to have space for two basses is even better :)

I brought a Levis CM88 about 15 years ago. Paid an arm and a leg for it.

In between time, it's done hundreds of gigs and even more rehearsals. Built like a brick out house and it's been the best investment I've made.

The pocket zip has started to fail so will need a bit of TLC and there's a hole in the pocket which has been "fixed" with gaffa tape. Aside from that, it's got years ahead of it still hopefully.

I've got an iGig double bag - not cheap but done hundreds of gigs and still going strong. Top quality bag with plenty of storage.

The problem with double bags is that they are a bit cumbersome and almost impossible to carry on your back for too long. However this has the advantage of making them difficult to knick - not easy for potential thieves to pick up and do a runner without being noticed.

Edited by peteb

I have a Levy's that's got to be going on 15 years old and it's still in great shape. It doesn't offer as much protection as some more modern bags, but it's also a lot lighter, which is something to consider when you have two basses on your back!

I have a single igig bag, which is built like a tank and I'm sure the double is equally butch, but it's heavy even when empty.

FWIW, I compared the igig to the Mono when I was shopping and found the igig to be much tougher, but also considerably heavier. The Monos are still great bags.

Yes they are heavy with two basses but using both shoulder straps makes carrying the bag on your back a lot easier than the traditional one strap over the shoulder style.

I guess it depends if this is to get around on the tube and public transport or simply into and out of a car for gigs and rehearsals...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1448437330' post='2915338']
I guess it depends if this is to get around on the tube and public transport or simply into and out of a car for gigs and rehearsals...
[/quote]

Yes I think that's the crux of it... I'm always travling to gigs / rehearsals etc on the tube.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1448436144' post='2915329']
I was looking at these a little while back and came to the conclusion that when loaded with two bases it would be too heavy to carry and therefore of limited use...
[/quote]I use my Levy's on the NYC subway and, yes, it's very heavy to carry two basses on one's back but for gigs where I need a fretted and a fretless, I know of no easier way to do it. Carrying two separate cases is, IMO/IME, even more cumbersome.

The backpack straps definitely help, and the more modern bags have much better padding in the straps, which offsets their extra weight to some extent. I think the Mono probably has the edge in terms of weight:comfort. No matter the bag, carrying two basses is a bear. It's just a question of which bear you want to strap to your back.

If I'm not mistaken, Fusion bags have not only backpack straps, but also a hip belt to help distribute the weight better. That seems like an excellent solution to me. I would love to try one of those out, but they're very hard to find here in the States.

[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1448494800' post='2915980']
I use my Levy's on the NYC subway and, yes, it's very heavy to carry two basses on one's back but for gigs where I need a fretted and a fretless, I know of no easier way to do it. Carrying two separate cases is, IMO/IME, even more cumbersome.

The backpack straps definitely help, and the more modern bags have much better padding in the straps, which offsets their extra weight to some extent. I think the Mono probably has the edge in terms of weight:comfort. No matter the bag, carrying two basses is a bear. It's just a question of which bear you want to strap to your back.

If I'm not mistaken, Fusion bags have not only backpack straps, but also a hip belt to help distribute the weight better. That seems like an excellent solution to me. I would love to try one of those out, but they're very hard to find here in the States.
[/quote]

Yes I'm in the same boat as you, wanting to take both fretted and fretless basses to gigs / rehearsals. I also currently take a little trolly with my head / cab... I need to try and sort something out, might be time to have another go at dual gigbags.

Perhaps I'll try the new Fusion one...

Edited by CamdenRob