Why become a member? ×

Ali express from China

Geek99

I recall someone ordered a bass that looked vaguely like a fodera

Has anyone ordered the more mainstream fender clones? Some of the photos look a bit too much like the real thing to "be real" so what do you actually get ? How close is it ?

They have a nice looking sunburst and blocks jazz that's got my attention but I don't want something that looks like it came out a Christmas cracker - I understand it won't be up to the standards of the Custom Shop either
Your stories ?
Thanks

I think it varies depending on the vendor.

AliExpress is a site like eBay for manufacturers and distributors, so it's a bit like asking how good the products on eBay are - there are both good and bad, expensive and cheap. I know that some people have used particular vendors on AliExpress (for copies of models with a particular design that I cannot mention) and have had mixed results.

I would ask if anyone on here can recommend a particular vendor that they have dealt with?

REG (Rare Electric Guitars) are one of the vendors on there and they appear to have a decent rep from what I've seen BUT I'm not in a position to recommend them.
However, they are a company you might like to research.

Good luck, I'd be more tempted to look at that Maruswotsits personally, although obviously more expensive.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1448383297' post='2914955']
REG (Rare Electric Guitars) are one of the vendors on there and they appear to have a decent rep from what I've seen BUT I'm not in a position to recommend them.
However, they are a company you might like to research.

Good luck, I'd be more tempted to look at that Maruswotsits personally, although obviously more expensive.
[/quote]

I was looking on the Rare Electric Guitars site at a certain model as used by Mr. Lennon in the early 1960s.
Looks good on the site but I have yet to pluck up courage to contact them.
Has anyone had anything from them?
Are they any good?
An internet search of the reviews tends to result in a lot of the cousins slagging them off big time just because they are Chinese; most of the comments being based on nothing more than xenophobic bias with never having seen or played one in the flesh.
Hence I'm hoping a sane British BC member can guide me in the right / wrong direction, please.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1448376835' post='2914875']
I think there are some guys on youtube that order and review instruments regularly. I 'm just off out but I will see if I can put up a link later
[/quote]
That would be good - thanks

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1448394588' post='2915117']
That would be good - thanks
[/quote]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc0X6O--9ahFR2mD6cSjtFg"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc0X6O--9ahFR2mD6cSjtFg[/url]

This is one guy, have a skim through some of his experiences. I can't find the other guy but I'll keep looking.
Sorry for the delay :rolleyes: :D

A friend here bought a Jazz bass via Ali Express. He only told me a couple of months ago and he's had it 2 years now. I thought it was genuine to be honest. Damn good copy, and on the one occasion I used it, apart from the different feel of the neck and action, it didn't really sound any worse than my custom shop with all the bells and whistles. Stayed in tune too.

He had no real issues with the delivery either although it wasn't a five minute thing and a couple of e-mails had to be sent.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1448467262' post='2915685']

This is one guy, have a skim through some of his experiences. I can't find the other guy but I'll keep looking.
Sorry for the delay :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]
Thanks, interesting stuff.
I can't find "Rare Electric Guitars" on Ali Express but I'm still looking.
I'll let you know what occurs.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1448533087' post='2916142']
Thanks, interesting stuff.
I can't find "Rare Electric Guitars" on Ali Express but I'm still looking.
I'll let you know what occurs.
[/quote]

I seem to remember another you tube channel dedicated to "chinese guitars". The guy reviewed a lot of basses but sadly I can't seem to find him?

i got a strat from china, a "chat"

paint finish was a very bad orange peel finish.
nut was very cheap soft plastic
neck finish was good but one dot off centre
tuners look good with the f***** logo but were just sh*t, sorry but thats the only word for them. there must be 1/8 play in them
pickups were weak.
set up good
gold hardware, good
wood body too light, when you tap the body at what should be the solid wood parts it sounds hollow ! !.
overall finish ? pants ...there is a hole that goes from the trem spring cavity through to the pickup cavity.
neck joint ?... well you could store your spare picks in it if you use them.
sound.... thin but the humbucker alone at the bridge was good.

my squier strat is far far better, in every way.
this put me right off ordering a bass.
and the import duty alone with handling fees was £50ish

Overall ?.......A "You buy cheap... you buy twice" feeling

Edited by funkgod

I looked into this a couple of years ago, and there were plenty of youtube reviews of chibsons, chickenbackers etc - no-one really seemed keen to recommend individual suppliers (maybe to avoid drawing unwanted legal attention to them, or to avoid drawing flack from people having bad experiences on the basis of their recommendation), but the advice about buying from china direct was fairly consistently to deal only with traders who were willing to communicate with potential customers, and to ask lots of questions, get pics of finished and part finished instruments etc before commiting to an order, and to continue to communicate with the vendor all the way through the production process.

Not seen that website before
I'm amazed that they're selling MM copies with the actual EB logo on them

The quality of these guitars looks good. But of course, the reality may differ
I'd also be interested to hear what buyers say about these basses

My philosophy is that if you buy a fake Fender, dirt cheap from a Chinese website, and it's a pile of crap, then you should put it down to experience.

Have low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Saying that......my brother in law bought a fake Gibson Goldtop Les Paul, for £100, direct from the PRC and it sounds great!