Why become a member? ×

Dilemma - What would you do?

Guest MoJo

I recently bought a Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 from a local Ebay seller. Collected the bass and paid cash (big mistake). When I got it home, I felt it had got too much relief in the neck for me so, I removed the truss rod cover to give the rod a tweak. To my dismay, I found that the hexagonal socket in the end of the rod had been rounded out. I took the bass to my local luthier who tried a number of different tools to turn the rod but alas, he concluded that it wouldn't move and that the fretboard would need removing to replace the trussrod, a fact that Peavey Technical confirmed. As the lacquered finish on the through-neck extends over the edges of the fretboard, the neck would also need refinishing. My luthier estimated that it was likely to cost around £200 for the repair. As I only paid £147 for the bass, it doesn't seem worth paying £200 to get it fixed, I could just buy another.

I contacted the seller who, as I expected, knew nothing about a problem with the trussrod and as I paid cash, I don't have any recourse through Ebay.

I have been watching videos on Youtube showing fretboard removal using a steam iron and pallette knife / scraper. I've considered having a go myself but I'm justifiably nervous as I could end up with a pile of firewood.

What would you do?

What would I do? I'd take the bass back to the seller and ask for my money back, as it is clearly unfit for purpose. What did the seller say when you contacted him? Did you tell him you wanted to return the bass? His 'not knowing' about the problem doesn't alter the fact you have essentially been sold a dud.

Easy to say in hindsight I know, but I always ask if the truss rod is working when I buy a bass.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447151610' post='2905229']
What would I do? I'd take the bass back to the seller and ask for my money back, as it is clearly unfit for purpose. What did the seller say when you contacted him? Did you tell him you wanted to return the bass? His 'not knowing' about the problem doesn't alter the fact you have essentially been sold a dud.

Easy to say in hindsight I know, but I always ask if the truss rod is working when I buy a bass.
[/quote]

This.Good luck, and let us know how you get on

EDIT: If he refuses to give you a refund, threaten to report him to ebay (might work)

Edited by Marc S

Did you collect the bass from the sellers house? If so, go back round there with the bass & tell them you want a refund, if they refuse report to ebay & take it to SSC - people are not allowed to sell duds unless stated in the advert that it has a problem.

Depends how you interpret "dud".
Presumably you did look at the bass when you bought it but assumed that you could fix the bent neck.
Unfortunately in my book that would imply that you were aware of there being a problem and accepted the instrument warts and all.

But I would still go back to the bloke, show him the issue and see if he is prepared to make an accommodation with you.

Good luck! The sad thing is, he probably sold it like that in good faith.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1447155155' post='2905277']
Presumably you did look at the bass when you bought it but assumed that you could fix the bent neck.
Unfortunately in my book that would imply that you were aware of there being a problem and accepted the instrument warts and all.

But I would still go back to the bloke, show him the issue and see if he is prepared to make an accommodation with you.

Good luck! The sad thing is, he probably sell it like that in good faith.
[/quote]

this is about right. By examining the bass there is a fair argument you accepted it's condition, or at least that's what he might argue in court. I think he probably did sell it in good faith but it is hard to know. You can't really prove he knew of the fault and he can't prove it was sold as seen, unless he had something written in his ad on ebay.

In that situation the best thing is to try and resolve the thing by talking. I had a similar situation when a Takamine I bought through ebay arrived with the pre amp not working. I contacted the seller who insisted it was working when it left. I got quotes for a repair and he paid £100 towards it. It turned out to be a broken connector in the pre amp which I repaired myself but by talking we avoided any dispute.

I've also been through the ebay dispute resolution process which was painless and I got my money back from ebay. I assume they then got it from the vendor but that was their business. I got the impression that the right is assumed to be with the seller. Check what ebays conditions are though, there is probably a time limit.

Good luck, it is horrible to be in that position.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1447155155' post='2905277']

Good luck! The sad thing is, he probably sold it like that in good faith.
[/quote]

The neck's not bent and the bass is perfectly playable. There is just too much relief in the neck for me. Might be fine for you. As to 'selling it in good faith', I think he probably did. This, along with my dislike for confrontation is what has prevented me from demanding my money back.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447156521' post='2905293']This, along with my dislike for confrontation is what has prevented me from demanding my money back.
[/quote]

It needn't be confrontational. Explain the problem to the seller (as you have just done for us) and see what he says. Make your position clear about what you want/expect. The worst he can say is no, at which point you might want to refer it to Ebay.

If none of that works, you could always just sell the bass on. Whether or not you mention the truss rod issue depends on your own integrity... :)

Try and level with the seller. I had an experience recently where by i spoke to the guy and said what he had sold me in good faith was faulty and he refunded me.

Failing that, but a new one and chalk it up to experience. You could even sell if on with the knowledge the truss rod could do with replacing, someone may pick it up for a project.

As others have said, you've nothing to lose by stating to the seller that the bass is faulty and you want your money back. Be firm and clear but polite. Follow up with eBay the very moment you don't think he'll refund you so that you've at least given him the opportunity to sort it out one-to-one first. In all likelihood the seller was unaware too but hopefully they'll do the decent thing without too much prompting.

Although you did inspect the bass and bought it post-inspection you still have an expectation that all would be well with it [i]unless [/i]faults were declared to you. No one would expect you to remove the truss rod cover as part of that inspection (same goes for scratchplates, control covers etc.) What if it was a 2nd hand car, no one buys one without "looking round it" but you'd be miffed if something went wrong with the brakes and the seller said "you inspected it so you accepted it" when spotting the fault would've involved removing a wheel. You shouldn't have to disassemble something as part of an inspection.

If the seller refuses to refund you & you're stuck with it another option to try before you start pulling the neck apart would be to get a dremel with the flat disc cutting blade on it & cut a slot all the across the head of the trussrod (where it's rounded off), you may then be able to turn it with a large flat-head screw driver - I've seen people do this with cleat screws on cycling shoes & it does work on the smaller scale.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1447163946' post='2905408']
Can you use a Dremel or similar to cut a notch in the truss rod?
[/quote]
[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1447170465' post='2905492']
If the seller refuses to refund you & you're stuck with it another option to try before you start pulling the neck apart would be to get a dremel with the flat disc cutting blade on it & cut a slot all the across the head of the trussrod (where it's rounded off), you may then be able to turn it with a large flat-head screw driver - I've seen people do this with cleat screws on cycling shoes & it does work on the smaller scale.
[/quote]

The truss rod is quite deeply inset, impossible to access with a dremel. I had considered cutting a small length off an allen key and gluing it in the socket with a strong epoxy

I would write it off as a bad experience but then I'm a bit of a wimp.
As a rule, I tend to be suspicious of bargains and don't buy from strangers unless they have good character references such as feedback on here. That means that I never get a super-rare bargain basement price but I also tend not to get nasty shocks.
Where possible I pay by card, too.

You might find this handy if it was described as sold as seen- eBay's own advice on this and similar situations: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Sold-as-seen-as-is-no-returns-/10000000002394120/g.html"]http://www.ebay.co.u...02394120/g.html[/url]

Having said all that, if the seller argues that it was a latent defect that he was unaware of, then its unlikely that you'll have any success in pursuing a refund

Edited by sharkboy

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1447194612' post='2905778']
You might find this handy if it was described as sold as seen- eBay's own advice on this and similar situations: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Sold-as-seen-as-is-no-returns-/10000000002394120/g.html"]http://www.ebay.co.u...02394120/g.html[/url]

Having said all that, if the seller argues that it was a latent defect that he was unaware of, then its unlikely that you'll have any success in pursuing a refund
[/quote]

The only recourse you have is if it's 'not as described'. Small claims court. A magistrate will decide and unfortunately it'll be down to who is the best speaker and who presents the best evidence, not what the law says. :(

Hopefully the guy will take it back and return the cash. Certainly if you start mentioning Small Claims Court...

Edited by TimR

When has any one advertised a bass as "truss rod works well" ?

The guy probably had no idea that there was anything wrong.
I have never adjusted a truss rod in 40yrs of playing bass,maybe I've been lucky or maybe I am just rubbish and don't know what relief is(I don't by the way so there's your answer :lol: )

I hope things work out
for you but as you can probably guess from the above ....I would have just accepted it as part of life's rich pattern.

(1) Talk to the seller on the off-chance he is an honest fellow who made a mistake - you never know.

(2) If need be report the matter to Ebay - it wont help you but if the fellow did this knowingly it's a good idea to warn others.

(3) Now follow this:

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1447194612' post='2905778']

[/quote]

(4) If after all that it does not work, price up the difference between purchasing a different bass and/or fixing this one - take into account how difficult it would be to get one like you have/how much you want that one.

Just don't throw good money after bad - if the bass is nothing special and you could get another/something just as nice for around the £150 mark (i.e. the price you paid for this one) then do that and call this one a loss. You can always strip it down and sell any parts for a few ££.

Edited by Naetharu