Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5P *** SOLD ***
£550

silverfoxnik

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Bass now SOLD - thanks for all the interest[/b] :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi Folks,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have a TRB5P for sale for [b]£550[/b] or near offer that you might be interested in.. [/font][/color]

[attachment=204705:TRB5P_038.JPG]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Price/Trades..[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think the phrase on here is 'this bass owes me etc, etc..' and - i[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n the interests of transparency - [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]in this case, I paid £500 for the bass, plus travel costs and I have also spent money having it set up, hence my asking price of £550 or near offer.. For a bass of this quality with a hard case, I think it's a fair price, but I am happy to listen to sensible offers. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately, I'm not looking for trades at this time as I've already bought another passive 5 string to replace this one.. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Features/Pedigree etc..[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This bass has been around for a while on Basschat and has had a number of owners, including Oopsdabassist (Russ) who I bought it from back in July. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As you can see in the picture (which I think was bassmand ady's pic - hope that's OK Ady?) it's got the following pedigree/ features:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Made in Japan[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1990's model[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck through design[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ebony fingerboard[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P/J pick ups[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Piezo pick up[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Active 2-band e.q.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As I'm sure you know already, this first generation of TRB's were very high quality basses indeed! Certainly this is as well made as any 5 string bass I've owned over the years, which include USA Tobias basses, Wal, Fender, Warwick, Goodfellow etc, etc..[/font][/color]

[b]Condition[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It is in good condition, though nowhere near mint condition, but it's still pretty good.. There aren't any fundamental problems with it either - all the electronics are fine, the neck & frets are in good shape and the truss rod works fine... And it's was just recently set up by Robert Vanderlinde of Levinson Guitars UK at the South East Bass Bash in September , and comes with a hard case.[/font][/color]

[b]Photos[/b]
I'll post some more pictures up tonight, but for now, just the one above courtesy of bassmanady.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Reason for selling[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's a really lovely bass, and it plays beautifully. The 24 fret neck is a joy to play and to be honest, that's one of the reasons I bought it so that I could have a 4 string and 5 string bass with two-octave necks when gigging (my 4 string BC Rich Eagle has 24 frets).. The other reason I bought it was for the through-neck design and, again, like my BC Rich, that is such a joy as well; easy access to the top frets and a very even tone and resonance across all the strings.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]However, in all honesty, I just can't seem to get on with the active electronics! Fact is that all my other basses are passive models, and I just seem to prefer them that way. So rather than take out the e.q. in this and replace it with other active e.q (which I now I won't like anyway), I figure it's better to keep it exactly as Yamaha intended and put it up for sale...[/font][/color]

[b]Collection/Shipping etc[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm based on the South coast of England, in West Sussex, about 20 miles west of Brighton and anyone local is more than welcome to come and give this a try.. However, I am happy to ship it (if that is your wish) via insured courier service such as UPS for example.. It will be shipped in a hard case and very well packed, however, it is your risk when being shipped - hence why the insured service is an absolute must IMHO![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anyway, thanks for looking and please PM me or ask away here if you've any questions.. :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Regards[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nik[/font][/color]

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1447082682' post='2904668']
...at a bargain price. What a very lovely thing of loveliness!
[/quote]

Thanks Rich for the kind words... It is a 'lovey thing of loveliness' as you say..

In fact, I am now properly informed that it is '...a lovely 5P thing of 5P loveliness' :D

Had a surprising number of PMs about this so far today, which has taken me aback somewhat...in a good way, of course!

Anyway, just to say that I'm currently getting some decent pictures taken and will post them online somewhere so they can be viewed as easily as possible.

If you've already sent me your email address via PM, I'll send you the same link.

Thanks

Nik

One of the truly great basses, and one that a few well known players 'actually' play in the studio, as opposed that is to the bass their marketing material suggests that they play :) It probably deserves a place alongside PBass, JBass, Ric, Wal and Stingray as a 'must play at some stage' instrument. Having said that, I doubt any of that list could touch it for build quality, and only the Wal would get close for versatility, and even that's debatable.

Goes without saying that Nik's a great guy to deal with so this wing be around long!

C

I used to have on of these in trans red color. At that time I had managed to collect more instruments that I was able to use / justify to keep so I have sold it. But as a lover of japaneese Yamaha TRB's I have always hold these models in high regard and I remember the rich tone of that TRB5P to this day. Also the neck was really lovely.

All the best with this sale, someone will be getting a great deal and a hell of a bass, too!

[quote name='andysg42' timestamp='1447087346' post='2904713']
cheap .top quality bass. bargain. through neck. quility woods , good eq + piezo . if still made, new now prob 2k plus .good luck with the sale . wont be here long.
[/quote]

Thanks - that's probably a fair assessment if you look at prices for high-end Yamaha basses now..

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1447098554' post='2904888']
One of the truly great basses, and one that a few well known players 'actually' play in the studio, as opposed that is to the bass their marketing material suggests that they play :) It probably deserves a place alongside PBass, JBass, Ric, Wal and Stingray as a 'must play at some stage' instrument. Having said that, I doubt any of that list could touch it for build quality, and only the Wal would get close for versatility, and even that's debatable.

Goes without saying that Nik's a great guy to deal with so this wing be around long!

C
[/quote]

Cheers Chris - very kind of you!

You know, I hadn't thought about the TRB5P from that point of view, but it does have a real pedigree as you say.. I gave it a quick whirl this evening after taking some photos and it really does play beautifully and the finish on it is superb..

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1447102706' post='2904944']
I used to have on of these in trans red color. At that time I had managed to collect more instruments that I was able to use / justify to keep so I have sold it. But as a lover of japaneese Yamaha TRB's I have always hold these models in high regard and I remember the rich tone of that TRB5P to this day. Also the neck was really lovely.

All the best with this sale, someone will be getting a great deal and a hell of a bass, too!
[/quote]

[quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1447110468' post='2905048']
Ahhhh man! I was after one of these for so long after having owned many of the 6 string versions. If I hadn't just bought something different, I'd be on my way to pick this up. What an amazing bass and at amazing price. GLWTS.
[/quote]

Cheers! :)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1447106628' post='2905012']
This used to be mine. It was the best of the 3 that Ady had at the time. If you search for trb5p you will find my old for sale thread which has more pictures.

Tempted to have this back, but would need to move the bbne2 on first.
[/quote]

Thanks Pete :)

Here's the link you mentioned to your old advert for this bass and it has some really useful info in there and some great pictures.... In particular, it states that the bass is a 1991 model, and also that it's '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]flamed maple cap on a maple body and an ebony fretboard.... [/font][/color]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193341-sold-yamaha-trb5p/page__p__1889959__hl__trb5p__fromsearch__1#entry1889959"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1889959[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The tweed case has been replaced by a Thomann plain black hard case, but in most other respects, the bass is still pretty much in the same condition as it was 3 years ago when you sold it. Other than that, I think the action is higher than it was and the Elixir strings on it could do with a change.[/font][/color]

To answer a few questions that have been asked via PM:

(i) String spacing is 19 mm at the bridge
(ii) Yes - I am happy to ship to anywhere in the UK and Europe pretty much, including France, Hungary, Czech Republic etc
(iii) The electronics all work fine except that there's slightly less output from the Piezo pick up on the G string; it's not very noticeable at all but I thought I'd mention it in the interests of full disclosure etc.
(iv) The electronics are a little hissy if you turn up the treble all the way, but otherwise, not too bad at all for a 24 year old bass
(v) I don't know what the weight is, but will check tomorrow
(vi) The truss rod is working fine; Robert Vanerderlinde had no problems with it all when he set it up at the South East Bash in September, which was about 6 weeks ago..

Thanks

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

Hi Nik

re your questions above, it weighs in at just over 10.4 lbs if I recall right, that's the only reason I moved it on as it was giving my shoulder gyp! I pushed the action high as I like to dig in, and the elixirs are the ones Pete had on it just before he sold it to me, he put new strings on to sell it but I hated the 'new string zing' so he kindly sent me the old strings..wotta guy!

OK; as promised, some more recent pics, taken in not the best lighting conditions last night, but they should give some indication of what the bass is like..

[attachment=204763:_Y7U1700.jpg]

[attachment=204764:_Y7U1710.jpg]

[attachment=204765:_Y7U1703.jpg]

[attachment=204767:20151109_185113.jpg]

Thanks for the positive comments guys..

As you know, here on Basschat, we generally have some quite dignified rules about the way we do things when buying and selling, so as I said in my OP, I'm only asking back from the sale what I paid for this bass overall.

I agree though that it's 'value' is probably more than that on the open market.