Why become a member? ×

Irrational G&L ASAT GAS

Owen

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1446249526' post='2898182']
There are very few 5's about, I think there are about 6 or 7.

I played one after I did a set up for a chap who found one in cash converters
When we spoke to G&L they said there were no plans to make any more as the balance was off...
[/quote]

Sadness :(

I love G&Ls and I've loved the look of the ASATs ever since they were introduced, but they really do balance poorly. Even with skinny necks and lightweight tuners, they neck-dive like crazy.

The L2000 has the same electronics with more neck options and perfect balance. It's true they don't look as boss, but you can still get the sparkle finish! :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1446278915' post='2898253']

Seconded.

There is room in my house for more G&L's :)
[/quote]

Thirded! Got the ASAT for round wound humbucker hugeness, got major gas for a lb100 in Olympic white for flat wound funk.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1446286260' post='2898320']
Leo said that they were the best guitars he ever made and he should know.
[/quote]
I'm a big G&L fan, but in fairnes he was trying to flog them at that point.

G&L GAS is terrible, I'd like an L1505 in red burst, an MJ5 in turquoise sparkle, an LB100 in vintage white, a JB2 in natural etc.........

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1446298456' post='2898435']

G&L GAS is terrible, I'd like an L1505 in red burst, an MJ5 in turquoise sparkle, an LB100 in vintage white, a JB2 in natural etc.........
[/quote]

He was but I still think I agree with him. That's not to say I don't love a proper old vintage Fender of course :)

I've had a G&L ASAT for a few years now and it's a superb bass. Build and finish is impeccable and the neck is a joy to play.

It may be slightly neck heavy but a really good strap gets rid of that. Its really a very versatile bass.

If you haven't already have a look at the Facebook G&L website for some cracking photos of their guitars and basses.

I've got GAS for a semi hollow ASAT and a LB100.

I've played a G&L ASAT for about 10yrs, don't know how they have a reputation for neck dive. Mine is well balanced, never had a problem with it at all. Yes they are a fantastic bass, very versatile sound wise with the switching system and on-board pre amp.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1446298456' post='2898435']
[/quote]

He was but he had also spent 30 years of his working life since making the P bass looking into pickups and placement, so I suspect to him they really were the best he had done, certainly electronic wise (which was his main interest)

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1446370983' post='2898783']
I've played a G&L ASAT for about 10yrs, don't know how they have a reputation for neck dive. Mine is well balanced, never had a problem with it at all. Yes they are a fantastic bass, very versatile sound wise with the switching system and on-board pre amp.
[/quote]

This ^^^^^

I've had a couple, a natural solid body and a amberburst semi hollow. Both absolutely stunning instruments. Both are classed in the "idiot to get rid of" categories.

The balance issue was a non issue. As already mentioned, get a decent strap. I used mine with my Comfort Strapps and they never neck dived. The grip from the Comfort Strapps kept them in place.