Why become a member? ×

Rare or just old, that is the question

bigd1

In the for sale section, it seems that a great deal of adds are for RARE equipment. That would be great and interesting if these RARE items are indeed RARE.
I thought RARE was something possibly only available to the few, or so old only a few were still around.
If you look in the For Sale section you see adds for Fender, Ibanez, Overwater, Yamaha etc being classed as a RARE item, these makes flood the market when made, they are in most cases not RARE.
I think RARE is getting mistaken for old or just used. Just because your item is old does not make it RARE!!
I'm well used, and getting old but what makes me RARE is I'm the only one of me. :thank_you:

And the reason things are actually "rare" is usually one of two things: no one wanted one when they were new (perhaps they were simply too expensive for what they were), so they didn't make or sell very many or they didn't work very well / broke so very few people kept one.
A Morris Ital (for those of you of a certain vintage) is a very rare car now, but it was crap when it was new and time hasn't made it any better. The sane goes for a lot of things.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1446124461' post='2897087']
And the reason things are actually "rare" is usually one of two things: no one wanted one when they were new (perhaps they were simply too expensive for what they were), so they didn't make or sell very many or they didn't work very well / broke so very few people kept one.
A Morris Ital (for those of you of a certain vintage) is a very rare car now, but it was crap when it was new and time hasn't made it any better. The sane goes for a lot of things.
[/quote]

70s Fenders :ph34r:

Some basses & guitars are rare these days because 30-odd years ago they were regarded as cheap throwaways & most were treated as such. Squier JVs are the most obvious examples but the same thing applies to loads of great-quality MIJ stuff from the 70s & 80s.

A fair amount of it was total garbage, though.

Jon.

I just read "rare" as "I want more money than my item is actually worth so I'm going to use this buzz word in order to dupe someone that knows less about the instrument than me into spending over the odds". In that case, "rare" is just a good abbreviation really. I generally ignore these threads.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446126798' post='2897127']
Some basses & guitars are rare these days because 30-odd years ago they were regarded as cheap throwaways & most were treated as such. Squier JVs are the most obvious examples but the same thing applies to loads of great-quality MIJ stuff from the 70s & 80s.

A fair amount of it was total garbage, though.

Jon.
[/quote]

Absolutely right.

I have still got an Eros Jazz that I bought new in 73, Plays better than most 70s Fenders, sounds good, was £100 cheaper than the white Precision I wanted at the time.

Not many, if any Squiers around then. Antoria were usually considered the 'good' copies. Cant remember the last time I saw a nice Antoria up for sale.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1446129457' post='2897164']
My Fender P/J is rare in the UK. Only 6 Sea Foam Pearl and 6 Black made it to the UK.

It's not old.
It's not for sale.

But it is rare (in the UK).

Don't know why I fet the need to make this post tbh :P
[/quote]

Same as that - my Fender P/J is also probably rare - it's left handed for a start. I also have a proper left handed double bass. But that means the only person probably interested in them is me......and their not for sale either!
When I spotted the DB for sale a while ago I considered making an offer as I've always wanted one, but wasn't sure it would be well received as they are, after all, unusual if not rare but as one of my mates remarked with only a hint of sarcasm - "I would, your probably the only bloke who will ever want it!" so rare or unusual is really only a category rather than a desirable attribute.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446129560' post='2897167']
Absolutely right.

I have still got an Eros Jazz that I bought new in 73, Plays better than most 70s Fenders, sounds good, was £100 cheaper than the white Precision I wanted at the time.

Not many, if any Squiers around then. Antoria were usually considered the 'good' copies. Cant remember the last time I saw a nice Antoria up for sale.
[/quote]

No Squiers at all before '82 - but 70s Antorias and some Eros/Eros MkII came from the same factory.

A very lucky BCer grabbed what looked like a very nice Antoria P for £68 a couple of days back. If it had said Squier on the end & JV on the back, you could probably add a zero to the price.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446133802' post='2897216']
No Squiers at all before '82 - but 70s Antorias and some Eros/Eros MkII came from the same factory.

A very lucky BCer grabbed what looked like a very nice Antoria P for £68 a couple of days back. If it had said Squier on the end & JV on the back, you could probably add a zero to the price.

J.
[/quote]

Pretty sure mines Matsumoto, the chrome soapbar pups dont look right, but they souned better than the ones Antoria fitted.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446133802' post='2897216']

J.
[/quote]

I keep seeing the word 'Lawsuit' when they are advertised. Was there ever really a lawsuit ?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446135954' post='2897236']
I keep seeing the word 'Lawsuit' when they are advertised. Was there ever really a lawsuit ?
[/quote]

Not really - Gibson's then parent company Norlin sent a letter threatening legal action to Elger, who were US importers of Ibanez, over the use of the "open book" headstock shape on Ibanez LP copies. This was in 1977 - however Hoshino Gakki (owners of Ibanez) had already changed the headstock shape the previous year, so it no longer infringed the Gibson copyright. So there was no actual "lawsuit".

None of the other US manufacturers ever had any altercations with Japanese manufacturers or exporters - in fact Fender jumped right into bed with Kanda Shokai/Greco, and hence Squier was born! Anecdotally the first run of JV Squiers went onto the production line as replica-standard Grecos.

J.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1446129560' post='2897167']

Absolutely right.

[/quote]

There was a nice sunburst Jazz on gumtree last week, just down the road from me, up at £150. I was quite tempted actually, as it had a case and was part of bereavement clearance by the owners kids. Looked as if it was gigged, but by a careful owner.

I think stuff can be described as rare, my Precision Bass Lyte is rare in the condition it is, certainly compared to most I have seen come up for sale in recent years, if I sold it, would I describe it as rare....probably not, hopefully the photos would do the talking

I think I would sooner use unusual as a description rather than rare

[/quote]

The triumph dollopofsh*te probably hasn't got any better

[/quote]

Is that the one that BL claimed 'Accelerates faster than a Saab 99 ?' Which even looked like a heap of sh*t.