Why become a member? ×

LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2016

TheGreek

A couple of prizes for the raffle at the next Herts Bash - a 1902 Bottle of [b]King's[/b] Ale by Charrington [b]Bass[/b] signed, "[b]Love Bass?[/b]" by [b]Mark King.[/b]

[url="http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Kings%20Ale%20Bottle/009_zpsohigccil.jpg.html"][/url]

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Kings%20Ale%20Bottle/001_zps2sfc7oq6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Kings%20Ale%20Bottle/001_zps2sfc7oq6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by TheGreek

I had the most wonderful time. Tried out quite a few basses, caught most of the most master classes and live shows. (And picked up a few extra skills!). The lads at the overwater stand in particular were very friendly.

So now I'm feeling very inspired and looking forward to next year. In the meantime, are there any other bass shows? I've noted there's a London drum show in November too - which I may well attend with my drummer friends.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1457970383' post='3003502']
Did anyone think the exhibitors were a bit thin on the ground? There seemed to be loads more the last time I was there.
[/quote]

This is a bit disappointing to hear... Not that I'd want to put a downer on anyones day :) it sounds like a great time was had by all. But I'm only really interested in the trade stands, not really bothered about talks / masterclasses etc.

There definatly seemed to be a big gap in the middle of the main hall, and the entrance hall didn`t seem to have as many. It seemed like a lot from last year was missing. I imagine it would be expensive to get a stand and stay in London for a few days.

Did anyone think the exhibitors were a bit thin on the ground? There seemed to be loads more the last time I was there.
[/quote]I didn't go this year, but previously I had seen a year on year decline of those showing.

I went on the Saturday. I didn't talk to any fellow BC's as I don't know anyone!.

I too thought exhibitors where thin. This was only my third time but I remember Ibanez and Yamaha having sizable displays in previous years.

Good to see Overwater there again and there were some amazing basses on show and some pretty impressive playing from some of the folk trying them out.

I was a bit disappointed with Dave Swift's master class. Top bloke and great player but 45 mins of chat..maybe my expectation was wrong, the only prior master class I'd been to was TM Stevens a few years back who rocked.

I enjoyed Rhino's main stage performance including the few errors.

Robert Trujillo and band............... wow !!!.

Bernie wasn't there this year - as an owner of one of his fine creations I love to visit his stand. As many know, Bernie is an accomplished player in his own right and often regales us with his playing. He is another great British bass builder, is incredibly friendly and a top fella.

Hopefully next year.

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457970561' post='3003505']

This is a bit disappointing to hear... Not that I'd want to put a downer on anyones day :) it sounds like a great time was had by all. But I'm only really interested in the trade stands, not really bothered about talks / masterclasses etc.
[/quote]

I bumped into Paul Herman yesterday actually. Obviously not on a stand. Not that he needs to advertise with a 2 year waiting list these days for a Wal and good for him as he's such a nice guy.

[/quote]

I bumped into Paul Herman yesterday actually. Obviously not on a stand. Not that he needs to advertise with a 2 year waiting list these days for a Wal and good for him as he's such a nice guy.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457964970' post='3003415']
One thing i was disappointed about. I may have missed it, but Mono were advertised as being there, but I never saw them. I wanted to have a good look at them.
[/quote]

You missed it. Mono were part of a distributors stand, I think they may have been with MXR and someone else?

One thing I did miss from shows years ago was seeing Pete the Fish of WAL. I nearly always had a chat with him, bought some strings etc. He was always happy to talk, whoever you were - Would be nice if WAL made an appearance sometime, even though I'm sure they don't need to.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1457980921' post='3003648']

You missed it. Mono were part of a distributors stand, I think they may have been with MXR and someone else?
[/quote] Ahh, ok. I was expecting to see a little stand of their own. I'm disappointed now

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457816046' post='3002092']
Sorry to anybody I've missed or didn't meet up with.
[/quote]

Me... Again... I think I saw you walk past the Markbass stand at least twice... must've forgotten my deodorant, again... that or you just have an allergy to overly colourful speakers!

I was trying to get to talk to Mark Vanderkley about some cabs to go with my 112MNT most of the day - he seemed to be busy all day. Eventually spoke to him but unfortunately he has no plans to introduce either 15" or anything smaller than 10". New 500w combo in the pipeline sounds interesting.

Next time just attract my attention...I don't bite..

[/quote]
I hope this doesn't put people off going next year. We had a fantastic time on the Smooth Hound stand and will definitely be there again next year. The show had a really good vibe, met loads of great people and noise levels were mainly OK.

If any potential exhibitors are reading this, we had a [i]really[/i] good show. Thoroughly recommended. :)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457983092' post='3003679']
Ahh, ok. I was expecting to see a little stand of their own. I'm disappointed now
[/quote]

You didn't miss anything. A trip to Bass Direct would give you the same experience I think :)

[/quote]

I heard discussions around people saying "they'd left their credit cards at home on purpose...". OK, so maybe they'll buy online later from home, but its hardly surprising then that the number of trade stands has dropped... just sayin'...