Why become a member? ×

Private Sale dilemma

Smythe

Hello BC'ers

This week I sold some items privately through a Facebook bass sales page. I asked the buyer to pay via PayPal to keep it all safe and secure. He had requested that I send the item out as soon as possible, So, automatically I wrapped up the items Sunday night, used the address suoplied from his PayPal account and had it sent off Monday morning.

I then got a message from him the next day saying that's his old address and he's moved! I only received these messages after I switched my phone on when I had finished work Monday night. The parcel was already on its way! I had asked Sunday evening if the PayPal address was correct and I also took a picture of the parcel and forward it on via private message. The messages and picture were seen by him on Sunday evening but we're not replied to so I assumed they were correct.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this and can the buyer receive the item ok?

He's only moved a short distance from the previous address and it seems like his old address doesn't have any tenants in. The package was sent via royal mail recorded delivery.

I'm hoping some ID/statement/bill from the previous addy and the photo of the parcel will help him claim it from the delivery depot..

I think I'm actually worrying about this more than the buyer tbh!

Any feedback welcome.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1443733993' post='2877358']
Did you put a senders/return address on the package?

If so and they can't deliver, it should come back to you.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, no I didn't. It's literally the only parcel I've never put a sender return address on, I have gotten complacent with all the smooth sales I've had lately. So I'm also at a loss if he doesn't receive them.

It's certainly a lesson learnt.

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1443734204' post='2877361']
Unfortunately, no I didn't. It's literally the only parcel I've never put a sender return address on, I have gotten complacent with all the smooth sales I've had lately. So I'm also at a loss if he doesn't receive them.

It's certainly a lesson learnt.
[/quote]

If the items can`t be delivered as addressed they should be returned to Royal Mails National Return Centre - or at least that`s what used to happen. Jjust contact their Customer Services, explain the situation and send a scanned copy of the receipt to them. They should advise how to proceed from there.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1443734291' post='2877362']
You should contact the courier and explain the situation. They should be able to keep it at the depot and he can pick it up with acceptable ID. If that's against company policy, then it will be sent back to you.
[/quote]

I've contacted royal mail. They didn't really give a definite yes or no answer if the buyer could receive it. They said he needs to go to the delivery depot of that area explain the situation and provide some ID/Proof he lived at that addy and the tracking number I've given him. I asked if he can claim it without the red ticket, they said no.. .

I would say you've fulfilled your obligations perfectly well.

If you've sent it recorded, the postie should leave a card and take the package back to the depot. At least they will have some idea of where the package is.

Your buyer may be able to retrieve the card and collect the package, but to be honest it's his lookout if he can't maintain his PayPal account details.

That's not meant to sound harsh, but you've done your bit.

So Royal Mail will try to deliver it to his old address. If someone is there then they can sign for it. Then they have the parcel and your buyer will have to negotiate with them, I guess. If no one is there then a red card will be left at that address and someone will have to go and collect it from the depot. Who that person is, is anyone's guess.

Harsh, but it's your buyer's problem to sort out with the occupiers of his old address (unless he's had the foresight to put a mail redirect on)

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1443733697' post='2877355']
Hello BC'ers

This week I sold some items privately through a Facebook bass sales page. I asked the buyer to pay via PayPal to keep it all safe and secure. He had requested that I send the item out as soon as possible, So, automatically I wrapped up the items Sunday night, used the address suoplied from his PayPal account and had it sent off Monday morning.

I then got a message from him the next day saying that's his old address and he's moved! I only received these messages after I switched my phone on when I had finished work Monday night. The parcel was already on its way! I had asked Sunday evening if the PayPal address was correct and I also took a picture of the parcel and forward it on via private message. The messages and picture were seen by him on Sunday evening but we're not replied to so I assumed they were correct.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this and can the buyer receive the item ok?

He's only moved a short distance from the previous address and it seems like his old address doesn't have any tenants in. The package was sent via royal mail recorded delivery.

I'm hoping some ID/statement/bill from the previous addy and the photo of the parcel will help him claim it from the delivery depot..

I think I'm actually worrying about this more than the buyer tbh!

Any feedback welcome.
[/quote]
Man I am so sorry. I just opened my secong buying account with ebay and about to open a facebook and ebay shop. Nothing big! But I took the stance early on that I wouldn't send anything out for 3 days no matter what the buyer demanded. I wanted to see the money in the account and a confirmation email from the client that there were no changes. Because I got caught just like you a year ago. The good news is that the parcel was Recorded delivery. The idiot never saw his pickups, but paypal reimbursed him and my sale was secure. Hopefully it will be the same for you. You just have to cover yourself so no bleme goes to you and it seems in this instance the responsibility is clearly on the shoulders of your customer! Good Luck!

[quote name='ziggybass' timestamp='1443869242' post='2878291']

Man I am so sorry. I just opened my secong buying account with ebay and about to open a facebook and ebay shop. Nothing big! But I took the stance early on that I wouldn't send anything out for 3 days no matter what the buyer demanded. I wanted to see the money in the account and a confirmation email from the client that there were no changes. Because I got caught just like you a year ago. The good news is that the parcel was Recorded delivery. The idiot never saw his pickups, but paypal reimbursed him and my sale was secure. Hopefully it will be the same for you. You just have to cover yourself so no bleme goes to you and it seems in this instance the responsibility is clearly on the shoulders of your customer! Good Luck!
[/quote]

It's sorted now, the buyer was able to retrieve the red card from his old apartment, but thanks for the advise on sales. I'm definitely going to be more vigilant in future .