Why become a member? ×

ashdown VU meter

mrhectic

[quote name='mrhectic' post='277902' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:13 PM'][b]what does the VU meter on the ashdown amps do?

im i right in saying if it goes into the red, it means to turn it down a bit or the speaker will blow?[/b][/quote]

I think the primary objective is to look a bit retro and cool.

I usually like to have my input stage just tipping into the red when I play hard, but I think to be honest if your needle isn't jammed up hard against the red all the time then you'll be fine.

M

[quote name='mrhectic' post='277902' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:13 PM']im i right in saying if it goes into the red, it means to turn it down a bit or the speaker will blow?[/quote]
Nope.

It does f*** all if reports are to be believed. It's meant to help set your input gain at the right level (i.e. just below going into the red). It won't blow your speaker the second it goes into the red but you may get some preamp distortion.

Most people say it's as helpful as a chocolate teapot tho....

I've always found the Ashdown VU meter to be very useful for setting the input level, certainly easier to use than the normal light arrangement. Just set it so you get the sound you like and don't worry about blowing your speakers. The output level is determined by the knob on the other end of the amp

I was taught at college that VU stood for "virtually useless".

Basically because the needle responds too slowly to give you a true indication of peaks. As a general guide I suppose it does just fine though. A simple clipping LED is far more useful but nowhere near as sexy.

:) :huh: [quote name='Tengu' post='278228' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:47 PM']I was taught at college that VU stood for "virtually useless".

Basically because the needle responds too slowly to give you a true indication of peaks. As a general guide I suppose it does just fine though. A simple clipping LED is far more useful but nowhere near as sexy.[/quote]
you hit the string and it moves how fast do you want !

[quote name='bassmansky' post='278233' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:00 PM']:) :huh:
you hit the string and it moves how fast do you want ![/quote]

Fast enough to actually catch the transients on slaps. VU meters work rather well when metering signal onto magnetic tape or comparing apparent signal gain after processors. Hopeless for monitoring signal peaks.

Alex

mine was a bit flaky till i spilt a load of fog mineral oil in the back of my combo head, now it works really well (i am however NOT saying pour mineral oil into your amp ok)
looks cool to me and its very useful when on stage and you get a bit carried away with digging in, quick look at the VU and oooh i better back off a touch, mine tends to flutter around the verticle position. also bare in mind that certain notes will make it move more than others so dont just play one note to check your level on the meter.

[quote name='escholl' post='282218' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:32 PM']the meter on my ashdown is actually on the [i]output[/i]. and lot more useful, i find.[/quote]
possible marketing ploy could be to have a VU on both the input and output to balance your signal, wether it worked efficiantly enough would have to be seen but a possibilty none the less.

It's 2 stage monitoring, see FAQ 5: [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/faq.asp"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/contact/faq.asp[/url]

[quote]"On the ABM the EQ is a 2 stage circuit, each stage of this circuit is monitored separately to ensure that there is no clipping in either stage.

To allow this to be possible it is not possible to monitor from just one point i.e. after the EQ in/out switching. These monitor points are the most likely parts of the pre-amp to become overloaded and clip and it is essential to monitor both. This also ensures that you do not suddenly decend into distortion when you switch in the EQ because it is monitored all the time. On the ABM this is the most sensible approach for a professional product.

On both the EB and the MAG the VU monitoring is after the switching because of the number of comments we have received about this. On the ABM this is not possible (as outlined above)"[/quote]