Why become a member? ×

Leads and impedence (Barefaced related)

Dropzone

I have been using a GK 1000w amp and a Bareced 2 x 12. This has caused my amp to cut out protection come on. I use only the cheapest of leads, could this be the issue? The other problem is I can only play at gig volume at gigs so can't test this without being in a live situation??? Any advice is always appreciated. Ta Mike

I had this issue and it turned out to be a poor connection in the lead to the speakon socket.

I changed the lead and it fixed it. I think there also can be a matter of if you're using 2 or 4 pin speakons, but someone else will be along who knows more about this.

Regardless of if it's your issue, get yourself some of OBBM's cables!
http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

I used to have cheap Stagg speakon cables, bought some from OBBM & did an A/B test - the difference was noticeable. No point in having a great cab, quality head & then connecting them with the cheapest thing you can find ;)

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1441632452' post='2860395']
To quote from an email I received last week.
"It's funny how we spend lots of money on amps and guitars and then completely overlook the bit that connects them all together!"
[/quote]

Heh, beat me to it :D

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1441632801' post='2860401']
I just presumed that the electricity went down the cable regardless of cost. To be honest I didn't even know you could get four to two pin speakons???
[/quote]

It does. It's just not very good at jumping across gaps.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1441637208' post='2860457']Check the speakon on the cab. I noticed the inside of my old Midget was not brilliant (2 spade connectors, which were loose. Had to solder on and heatshrink to make it safer)[/quote]

[IMG]http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/no-words-homer-into-brush.gif[/IMG]

I get all moist every time I connect my PJB Suitcase to the extension cab with the PJB lead, I've never seen a single speaker lead that's got so much girth.
It even came in a box lined with blue satin.
The PJB website says something about using a cable with high resistance can raise the impedance that an amp 'sees' from a cabinet. It makes sense I suppose.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1441632801' post='2860401']
I just presumed that the electricity went down the cable regardless of cost. To be honest I didn't even know you could get four to two pin speakons???
[/quote]

There are even 8 pin ones too.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/audio-video-connectors/loudspeaker-connectors/

I've been using OBBM's cable from my GB Streamliner into my two BF cabs for ages without any issues at all so may be worth the upgrade. They are Speakon to Speakon with big fat cables, rather good I think.