Why become a member? ×

Going Wireless For Beginners.

Hobbayne

Yes it did well at the gig on Sunday. As BigRedX says above, it comes with an adaptor for the 12v PSU when you buy it from Thomman, but its not that bad in my opinion. I had no issues with it at all, the transmitter has a nice weight to it, its easy to set up, all in all I am happy with it.

It felt very liberating having no lead to trip over B)

Jas

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1441320220' post='2857999']
After looking at a thread on here I got one of these. http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-instrument-wireless/pid16092/cid761/line-6-relay-g30-digital-wireless-guitar-system.asp the Line 6 G30. In the end the only question ws whether to get the G50.

As everyone says the battery cover is a bit naff and the clip could be more secure, a velcro cable tie would be better but it's been a hundred percent reiable, never had a dropout and is better made than I expected at the price. I use some 2200mAh rechargeables and carry a spare set plus a backup set of Alkaline batteries, The rechargeables last the whole set and then go on and do another 5 hours at home but I make sure they are topped up for every gig (I must put them on for tomorrow in a minute)

The sound is cleaner than using even a short high quality lead and the freedom is great, I've even wandered out of the pub and onto the beach at a gig in Teignmouth, a bit eccentric but you've got to try it once :)
[/quote]

The g30 let me down badly after a few gigs as door for battery compartment got lose leaving the wireless system switching on and off, I sent it back and never again would I use it, I know the costlier line 6 systems have far better battery compartments which give no bother but the g30 has this common problem

Guest gazzatriumph

I put my Line 6 transmitter in a pouch which slides on to the guitar strap so never had a problem with the battery compartment door. The strap clip supplied is useless, the unit itself works great and the battery life indicator is useful.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1450383005' post='2932317']
I put my Line 6 transmitter in a pouch which slides on to the guitar strap so never had a problem with the battery compartment door. The strap clip supplied is useless, the unit itself works great and the battery life indicator is useful.
[/quote]

Which pouch are you using? Neotech?

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1450485010' post='2933363']
Which pouch are you using? Neotech?
[/quote]
Yes the Neotech one, it works fine Ive never had a problem with the battery catch just have to be careful with it, the pouch is tight enough to prevent any problems, that's what I've found anyway. I use angled jacks on both ends of the cable, its a tight fit but works.

Edited by gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1450557970' post='2933948']
IMO if a transmitter pack needs a pouch to hold it together (and onto the strap) so that it functions reliably then it should come with one in the first place.
[/quote]

True, but Im sure we all have had to adapt some things we use because the manufacturers cant be arsed to get it right, the G30 is good for the price though but would be nice if a pouch had been included and not the cheap clip they provide.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1450691792' post='2934838']
True, but Im sure we all have had to adapt some things we use because the manufacturers cant be arsed to get it right, the G30 is good for the price though but would be nice if a pouch had been included and not the cheap clip they provide.
[/quote]

Manufacturers could get away with bringing out half-baked products 15 years ago when all consumers had to go on would be a couple of reviews in the musical instrument magazines, but nowadays with the amount of information that is available from a simple Google search they have no excuse.

Maybe in the past when there was less choice, I wasn't quite so well-informed on the various options I might have put up with the short-comings of the Line 6 model. However with the information available in threads like this it made far more sense for me to buy the Sony system which comes with a far more robust transmitter pack and a clip that holds it securely on the strap all for just £10 more than the G30.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1450692890' post='2934849']
Manufacturers could get away with bringing out half-baked products 15 years ago when all consumers had to go on would be a couple of reviews in the musical instrument magazines, but nowadays with the amount of information that is available from a simple Google search they have no excuse.

Maybe in the past when there was less choice, I wasn't quite so well-informed on the various options I might have put up with the short-comings of the Line 6 model. However with the information available in threads like this it made far more sense for me to buy the Sony system which comes with a far more robust transmitter pack and a clip that holds it securely on the strap all for just £10 more than the G30.
[/quote]

I researched before buying and looked at the G30, reports that the clip was crap were true the battery compartment lid isnt great but as I said Ive had no problems with it, I prefer to have a pouch for extra protection rather than using a clip, there were good and bad points on the G30 and the Sony, people reporting the Sony gave out a high pitch noise when using batteries plus I'd had a Sony TV pack up just after the warranty and had a Sony Hi Fi which packed up, it was replaced under warranty and the replacement packed in and was replaced with a Panasonic so I lost a bit of faith with Sony products.

I had a Samson one which had the transmitter built into the jack. It was great until you wanted to play a guitar with a "strat" type socket. It wouldn't fit, which was annoying as I use two timings, so swap guitars often. I had to go back to a lead

I have a secondhand Line 6 G50 that I bought on here ages ago. Not being that mobile on stage (having the space would be a luxury for most of my gigs :) ) I stick the transmitter in my back pocket with the clip holding it in place. Seems to do the job nicely.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1450722224' post='2935254']
I researched before buying and looked at the G30, reports that the clip was crap were true the battery compartment lid isnt great but as I said Ive had no problems with it, I prefer to have a pouch for extra protection rather than using a clip, there were good and bad points on the G30 and the Sony, people reporting the Sony gave out a high pitch noise when using batteries plus I'd had a Sony TV pack up just after the warranty and had a Sony Hi Fi which packed up, it was replaced under warranty and the replacement packed in and was replaced with a Panasonic so I lost a bit of faith with Sony products.
[/quote]

When I got my G30, the Sony did not exist.
The G30 is still doing a great job. The clip looked flimsy so I never even used it: I got a leather holder by Levy that works very well, instead. The battery door... I never understood the complaints. It seems to me it's made on purpose so that you do need to press the catch hard,, which means it won't open by itself... and I suspect some people simply did not pay enough attention and didn't close the lid properly. Over six years later, it's still going strong.

I have also a preference not to buy anything Sony, so I'd still get the G30.

I bypassed getting the holder for the G30 as I couldn't find the exact one for it.

I have mine zip tied to my strap at the bottom part of the unit but velcroed around the top where battery compartment is. You really can't go wrong at £118.

Edited by Delberthot

I'm about to pull the plug but can't choose between the Smoothound and Sony. There doesn't seemove much to choose between them. I'm probably erring towards the Smoothhound due to battery life and i like the design but there isnt much to choose. Any final suggestions before I buy i mostly will be doing pub/club and the occasional function gig.

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1451817030' post='2943569']
I'm about to pull the plug but can't choose between the Smoothound and Sony. There doesn't seemove much to choose between them. I'm probably erring towards the Smoothhound due to battery life and i like the design but there isnt much to choose. Any final suggestions before I buy i mostly will be doing pub/club and the occasional function gig.
[/quote]

Both will do the job.

In short, the main differences are -

Bug thing vs Pack
AA vs AAA
Latency (but only a concern if you are running through other digital devices)

You can't really go wrong with either.

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1451817030' post='2943569']
[/quote]
Good decision sbrag. Your set will be in the post tomorrow.