Why become a member? ×

Jonas Hellborg fans ?

ambient

Here are the dates - [url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152928202286455&set=a.422970091454.209528.633571454&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152928202286455&set=a.422970091454.209528.633571454&type=1&theater[/url]

I bet that'll be different. I caught Jonas years ago with the reformed Mahavishnu and then duetting with John McLaughlin. He used his double-neck Wal for that!

He certainly was very sloppy by today's standards...

Big Jonas fan here. I actually jammed with him for a short while at the Rotosound (I think?) stand at the 1987 British Music Fair. I kept up with him for what felt like a few seconds but he basically ate me for breakfast :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1440430686' post='2850655']
Hellborg is an interesting player. I recently downloaded a trio album with him and Buckethead playing acoustics. It's pretty intense and cool.
[/quote]

I think I have that album too, it is rather good.

:)

See you at The Vortex - any idea when tickets go on sale?

I first heard JH on the Trace Elliot compilation "Also Available In Green", released in 1994. He's got one track on there, a 7-minute edit of "Regicide", which originally appeared on his Ars Moriende album in its full 23 minutes. (The edited version starts about 16 minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993isHsG2Y4

thanks for the interest, all! I'm really looking forward to this. Jonas has been one of my favourite solo bassist for over 20 years.

A few more details on the FB event page for the tour - https://www.facebook.com/events/1139611506066543/

hope the london ticket link will be available v. soon.

We're hoping to do more dates next year, if these go well, so please do come and bring friends ;)

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1440829950' post='2854132']
I'm not familiar with Jonas's work, but I'm about to get educated! :-) I'll be along to the Birmingham gig at Tower of Song.
[/quote]

I'm going to the Birmingham show. Jonas's playing is very eclectic, from amazing slap virtuosity to beautiful acoustic playing like in the video I posted above, to stunning solo work, I remember seeing a video of him doing a solo bass arrangement of Hendrix's Little wing.

So combine that with Steve's amazing soundscaping and it promises to be a pretty fantastic night.

The Tower of song is a really nice venue too.

There's also a ticket discount if you're a subscriber to Steve's music on Bandcamp.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1440935384' post='2854796']
I remember seeing a video of him doing a solo bass arrangement of Hendrix's Little wing.
[/quote]
It's on his Elegant Punk album from 1984, when I first bought it I spent ages learning that piece off by heart -- I must have driven my parents nuts. It's my music-shop bassline :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1440935384' post='2854796']

I'm going to the Birmingham show. Jonas's playing is very eclectic, from amazing slap virtuosity to beautiful acoustic playing like in the video I posted above, to stunning solo work, I remember seeing a video of him doing a solo bass arrangement of Hendrix's Little wing.

So combine that with Steve's amazing soundscaping and it promises to be a pretty fantastic night.

The Tower of song is a really nice venue too.

There's also a ticket discount if you're a subscriber to Steve's music on Bandcamp.
[/quote]

I practically live at the Tower of Song, lol. :-)
So, hope to see you there 4 Oct.

• 2 weeks later...