Why become a member? ×

Please delete

vmaxblues

another singer that doesn't own the PA. This, in itself, is not acceptable.
You don't have room in your car, [s]so buy a bigger car you numpty [/s] :gas: can't the guitarist see that!! You don't need bass bins at practice and actually at some gigs too. I often leave the bins at home, for the smaller venues.
If it's bothering you, leave. Life is too short to play with people like that.

The band could turn up with £20-30k;s worth of kit and the singer hasn't put a bean in..
I'd not be impressed if he had a £500 P.A..and certainly if it sounded like it as well.
I'd not be best pleased if I was asked to pay for the P.A as well.

Everything about it is just sounds wrong, wrong wrong.. :lol:

I used to be in a band where I owned the PA. I stored it, loaded it, unloaded it (having arrived at the gig two hours before anyone else) set it up, with lights, between set music etc... After the gig, they would help me load it into the van (which I also owned, insured, taxed MOT'd, maintained) when I got home I would unload it all on my own again. The singer would turn up with a mic and a pint glass holder to clip on to one of my mic stands, usually 20 minutes before start time. I never thought of asking anyone to follow me home to help, nobody offered and nobody offered me a bigger share of gig money either... Oh yes, these would be gigs that I went out and found, booked and organised because nobody else could be bothered. No wonder I got fed up playing gigs...

Guitarists comment when I told him I'd had enough? "You can't leave, what are we going to do for a PA?"

In previous threads I've said that I've always found gigs to be more trouble than they're worth, you can probably see why now...

To the OP, tell 'em you can't do it and as it's the singer who uses it, it's his problem.

I think this is the breakdown of who owns what of the PA in my latest project: I bought the power amp and the singer owns the desk, think the speakers belong to the guitarist. Drummer may own a bass bin, not sure (haven't really needed it yet). As the other 3 have been in a band together before I rather expect that if any of them leave it'll probably all fold anyway so it's a moot point really. If I left they might carry on without me but would just need to replace the power amp or get a new bassist who already has one. They did offer me money for a 'share' of the power amp once but I think I'll hang onto it, could double as a backup bass amp in future.

Why do bass players always get put in this situation!....myself included. Like yourself i take my kit,the lighting rig,pick up the vocalist/guitarist and cart his stuff. We invested in a pa and the main guitarist who has a van dumped the whole pa system outside my front door and said he couldnt look after it as his mrs was giving him grief. I have no garage and nowhere in the house to store all this heavy pa so i left it there. Come rain or shine it stayed there and it was impossible for me to take it to gigs unless i did 3 journeys and if the gig was a hour away that wouldnt work. The guitarist did call and asked where i had kept it and i told him it was still on the drive....luckily it hadnt rained but at this point i couldnt cared less. He collected it and 'found' storage for it back at his place. I dont mind doing my bit but i certainly not doing everyone elses bit. After a expressing my view we now use an engineer with his own transport to carry the pa. I'll never invest in another pa....i have a love/hate relationship with them.They boil my piss! You need to talk about it and be honest with your other members.

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1440164882' post='2848776']
Why do bass players always get put in this situation!
[/quote]

Nobody bothers the drummer with this kind of thing, because obviously they have their own cross to bear. And the guitarist and vocalist are usually that brilliant that they can't even be informed about such tedious worldly practicalities in the first place in case it upsets them, what with them being so artistically creative and sensitive and all.

So it's usually left to the bass player (being a down-to-earth, grounded type), who naturally will have a car and a lightweight rig, so plenty of room for everything else, surely? And if you could just drive forty miles out of your way to give my mate a lift to and from the gig because he wants to get pissed and shout insults at us from the back of the room. OK, then? Good.

I put my foot down years ago. In my book it's each band member's responsibility to know where the gig is and to make their own way to and from it with whatever gear they need to do the job, AND be on bloody time. In return, I'll do the same. That's the end of it. The type of gigs we do usually involve a house PA, so it really shouldn't be much of a problem, should it?

Last-minute phone calls or excuses (I can't find the venue! My guitar won't work! My car's broken down! I left my microphone on the bus!) will be given very short shrift, involving a tirade of abuse featuring the 'F' word in conjunction with the 'C' word and featuring the 'W' word. :D

Edited by discreet

I bought the PA (though as Mrs Zero is the singer and we share funds, I suppose you could say she's contributed to it). However, we've finished up using the guitarist's mixer and outboard EQ with my SRM450s (and a pair of Behringer active speakers for monitors). The guitarist also supplies half of the lighting. We all store and transport our own gear and give each other a hand at the venue with unloading and reloading. I never realised just how lucky I was.