Why become a member? ×

Tom Morello - where to start?

Mykesbass

OK, confession time, I've never heard any RATM, but as a fan of more recent Bruce Springsteen albums, love what Morello does as a guest, especially his vocals on Tom Joad. So I really ought to listen to some more of his work, and know he has a few fans on here, so what should I listen to first? Thanks.

The first RATM album has aged pretty well in my opinion. It was a big influence on me bass-wise when I first started playing too, there's some massive grooves and great riffs on there.

Their last release, Renegades, is full of goodies too. It's covers of artists that influenced the band, but reinterpreted in their own style. There's everything from classic hip hop tunes to Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, MC5 and Minor Threat, and a mighty, riff-laden version of Tom Joad for good measure.

Edited by mike257

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1439884781' post='2846397']
Rage, then Audioslave, then NightwatchMan, then Axis of Justice, finally Street Sweeper Social Club .... all facets.
[/quote]

This, there are a different sides to his work.
Personally I'd recommend Ratm's first album as a starting point.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1439883987' post='2846391']

He also has some solo stuff out as The Nightwatchman.
[/quote]

Now that's what I'm looking for, thanks.

Have had a quick skim through all the other work, and, to be honest, whilst I can hear it is great stuff it doesn't really float my boat, whereas the Nightwatchman material is coming from the same place as the work with Springsteen. Interestingly, I thought Renegades would be close, but was possibly what I liked least!

Great guitar player, very creative, one of the most distinctive and original players to arrive after the shred scene imploded on itself. The first RATM album is not only for me Bass 101 (big Tim C fan, best sound on this album, that Ray was mighty!) but the impact of Tom's guitar work was stunning. For Audioslave I am the Highway is a master piece imho.

• 4 months later...