Why become a member? ×

32" Low B

Sonic_Groove

No idea about a low B.

Advantages of 32" scale for me (I have 4):

Blindingly obvious but they have a more compact fretboard, I find everything easier to access without having to move my hand about a lot. I tend not to anyway so it just makes playing a tad more comfy for me. It isn't a matter of having small hands - I have't - just that I find it very comfortable.

Two of the 32" scale basses I have (Precision and Jazz) are also slightly scaled down in body size from their 34" brothers and hence lighter in weight. Again, for me, that makes them more comfortable.

Disadvantages:

There aren't that many basses to choose from, nor the array of strings -although I have often just 34" scale strings and cut the extra off. Not ideal.
Hard cases and gig bags are not easy to come by.

Edited by Paul S

I have a 33" scale 5 string ACG - not quite 32", but certainly closer than the 35" scales I'd be more used to. The B string is a thicker gauge than my usual 35" scale, but sounds better than most of the 34" scale Bs and on par with the 35" scalers I've used so I think it's more to do with the construction of the bass than anything. It's one of the bettter B strings I've played after my 37" B Dingwall! Don't know if that's any use to you or not!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1439477288' post='2843217']
I have a 33" scale 5 string ACG - not quite 32", but certainly closer than the 35" scales I'd be more used to. The B string is a thicker gauge than my usual 35" scale, but sounds better than most of the 34" scale Bs and on par with the 35" scalers I've used so I think it's more to do with the construction of the bass than anything. It's one of the bettter B strings I've played after my 37" B Dingwall! Don't know if that's any use to you or not!
[/quote]

+1

A 32" low B can certainly be done, but I wouldn't be confident unless it was on a bass that had been built with that in mind.
ACG have made one 32" 6 string, the low on that was lovely, and I'm having a 31.5" 6 string made at the moment on the strength of that.

What are you planning anyway?...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1439479659' post='2843254']
+1

A 32" low B can certainly be done, but I wouldn't be confident unless it was on a bass that had been built with that in mind.
ACG have made one 32" 6 string, the low on that was lovely, and I'm having a 31.5" 6 string made at the moment on the strength of that.

What are you planning anyway?...
[/quote]

Thinking of an ACG LOL :D

B

I have a 32" Fender Jazz, so I can't comment on the low B aspect.
I really love the bass, but I find it almost a little too compact, I think 33" is the way forward for me :)

That said, as mentioned earlier, everything is scaled down a bit, I imagine if you kept everything else 'full size', it would be very comfortable.
Also remember that you could always talk to a string manufacturer about custom tension strings (Newtone come to mind locally), a string with a slightly enlarged core, will give you more tension at the gauges you prefer.

Si

Thanks for the input Folks & thanks Eude for the nice offer (my only visit to London this year will be for the South Bank Jazz in November).

I need to take a step back & think what I really want for & of my next Bass? Decisions Decisions!!!

Brendan

Edited by Sonic_Groove

A shorter scale bass has to have top notch material and components to work. It takes its luthier. Don't expect to get a Squier och Harley Benton short/medium scale to do the job...

There are two Swedish luthiers who independently of each other have the focus on 32" scale instruments: http://www.mattissonbass.com/ and http://unicornbass.se/site/.
They build high end custom instruments but with totally different approach. Unicorn is more "Alembic school" and Mattisson is not that "clear glossy".
Anders Mattisson even built a 32" scale 7 string with low F# that sounds fantastic. Henrik Linder of Dirty Loops use exclusively Mattisson basses.
Christian Olsson (=Unicorn Bass) has built for Mark King among others.

Here is Anders Mattisson holding a clinic at the Swedish Prata Bas meeting earlier this year. The bass at the left is the Dirty Loops bass, then a FANTASTIC fretless and to the right the seven string monster/wonder.
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/20150523_150846_zpsioy5lz3x.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1439636325' post='2844555']
Wow they look real nice! A Swedish Bass meet but the sign is in English! Multi-Cultural cool!! I would love to visit that meeting (and Sweden).

At Crez5150 if I had a Bucket of money I would have a 6 string Kingbass with bendwell built!!!

Brendan
[/quote]
The sign is Mattisson's backdrop for NAMM. We had a lot of other goodies there also: Zon basses and Jule Amp Monique for example...

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1439657846' post='2844767']
Surely a 32" low B would require a custom made string. I have 34 & 35" 5 strings and it is noticeable that the 34 has a much slacker B and thereby less tone than the 35"
[/quote]The biggest problem is the string will wind up on the tuner with the full winding part. If you look closely on the pic with the three Mattisson basses, on the 7 string there is a ferrule stuck on the F# string before it is treaded through the bridge, just not to reach too far above the nut. Obviously it will also be slacker, but in many cases a slacker string can sound much fuller, like if you detune your four string to D. Too short and thick string will never work, but it sure works better if the bass is solid and well constructed. I compare my 35" Lakland 5 strings to my 34" Warwick SS1 5 string: they all sound good. The 'Wick has a thicker neck making it respond in a nice manner. No wobbling whatsoever. But then, 34" or 35" isn't that big difference. There are sound clips on the Youtube from the Prata Bas occasion where Anders Mattisson demos his basses.
Here is the first of five clips in Swedish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxhuuTS7Gs
Some Dirty Loops and bass solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJP3mjQKWmY

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439676439' post='2844977']
How can a well made bass have significantly more string tension/tightness than a cheaply made bass of similar design? E.g. a cheap 34" 5 string rosewood/maple/alder jazz bass versus an expensive one, if they have the same strings?
[/quote]
It won't have, but the negative effects won't be that obvious/in your face if the instrument is solid and has some mass that won't resonate etc...