Why become a member? ×

why am i never happy?

jassbass

Ive been through alot of 5 strings in last 2 years.some i thought were good and some not,a couple i regret selling.
My latest 2 are g and l l2500 tribute and a human base roxy 5.
I really like the g and l ,string spacing a little tight for me but im happy with it.
I was going to get a m2500 tribute but decided on the human base,but im not 100 percent sure with it
Any body else as bad as me?

Yes, I keep on buying and selling Fender Precisions in the hope of finding "the one". Fairly sure I`ve got it now though. Previously I`ve had ones which were great players, great sounding, ideal weight, but none of them had all three of those factors until now, which my 2015 US Standard has.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439395389' post='2842465']
Yes, I keep on buying and selling Fender Precisions in the hope of finding "the one". Fairly sure I`ve got it now though. Previously I`ve had ones which were great players, great sounding, ideal weight, but none of them had all three of those factors until now, which my 2015 US Standard has.
[/quote]
Glad you have found the one

Are you buying blind online?

That might be the problem, I think it's mine too. Ok I research, pick through reviews etc, and may even get a quick blast on one, but the days of spending a few hours playing one bass in a store seem long gone to me. I found Warwick 5 spacing too close, and always loved the 19mm on my Bass Collection, so researched and bought a beautiful Skyline 55 01... but it doesn't feel quite the same... so, now I'm idly looking into opinions and examples of 18mm 5 strings, at which point I'll probably go down the same path again. Maybe, as above, it is about too much choice. The Lakland is a beautiful instrument with a great range of sounds,,and looks great (to me), but there's always something else to chase, to tidy 'this' up, or make 'that' easier.

Maybe I should just practice more!

Edited by NickD

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1439405338' post='2842597']
Are you buying blind online?
My sire was 18.5 spacing ,was great easy to play
I had a 55-01 was a decent bass

That might be the problem, I think it's mine too. Ok I research, pick through reviews etc, and may even get a quick blast on one, but the days of spending a few hours playing one bass in a store seem long gone to me. I found Warwick 5 spacing too close, and always loved the 19mm on my Bass Collection, so researched and bought a beautiful Skyline 55 01... but it doesn't feel quite the same... so, now I'm idly looking into opinions and examples of 18mm 5 strings, at which point I'll probably go down the same path again. Maybe, as above, it is about too much choice. The Lakland is a beautiful instrument with a great range of sounds,,and looks great (to me), but there's always something else to chase, to tidy 'this' up, or make 'that' easier.

Maybe I should just practice more!
[/quote]

Spent five years on the carousel, which has been interesting, expensive and fun, but 'the one' for me turned out to be the bass I already had in the first place. D'oh!

Generally I think people spend far too much time thinking about basses and not nearly enough time thinking about their playing. I am guilty too. :)

Edited by discreet

I've spent a total fortune, I mean thousands of quid in last seven or so years to find myself back with a basic Yamaha BB series which feels, sounds and (to me) looks right. My biggest problem was being terrified of dinging the expensive kit and losing a fortune on it.

Wish I hadn't started as it cost a fortune but at least I'm on the other side of it. Three dingwalls, a stack of musicman basses, rickenbackers, fenders, a custom build ACG and some others and now I'm about satisfied. If I had a windfall of money I know exactly what I'd buy to spoil myself but that's not likely till I retire.

GAS is a hard taskmaster.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1439409206' post='2842670']
I've spent a total fortune, I mean thousands of quid in last seven or so years to find myself back with a basic Yamaha BB series which feels, sounds and (to me) looks right. My biggest problem was being terrified of dinging the expensive kit and losing a fortune on it.

Wish I hadn't started as it cost a fortune but at least I'm on the other side of it. Three dingwalls, a stack of musicman basses, rickenbackers, fenders, a custom build ACG and some others and now I'm about satisfied. If I had a windfall of money I know exactly what I'd buy to spoil myself but that's not likely till I retire.

GAS is a hard taskmaster.
[/quote]
Got to admit i was looking for a bb1025,but could never find a used one

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1439409523' post='2842681']

Got to admit i was looking for a bb1025,but could never find a used one
[/quote]

Never seen one for sale secondhand. I'd snap up a used BB1025 in no time.

Remember too we are human, and grass always looks greener over there.

I think it's pretty normal to go through a bunch of different stuff until you find what it is your looking for.... I'm happy with where I am with my gear but I did enjoy the journey getting here too :)

I don't begrudge the money lost too much, it was worth it to learn what I have about what I want from a bass.

Edited by CamdenRob

Maybe try spending money on trying out different strings? It's amazing how much the strings contribute to the tone and playability.

I'm perfectly happy playing any bass at all as long as I've got the right strings on board. If I play a strange bass with strange strings on it I really struggle. Tension needs to be right, grip needs to be right and having the knowledge that the string is going to react in the right way plays a massive part in how well I can play.

Bog standard LaBella Stainless Steels btw.

An aside:

Massive BB fan here. Got a 424 at the moment. Had a 1024 but needed to free up some cash :( although the 424 does exactly the same thing!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1439453499' post='2842909']
Maybe try spending money on trying out different strings? It's amazing how much the strings contribute to the tone and playability.
[/quote]

This is very true. If you're not happy with a bass it's definitely the first thing you should try, it could save you a fortune. :)

Few people really understand what they want or what can give them that tone. I suggest that you talk to a trusted dealer, like Mark Stickley at bass direct, and tell him what you want out of a bass. He will be able to point you very closely to a few choices that will work. Then you wont have to wade through the online reviews and players reviews. I have found a lot of people postreviews and base them on personal preferences, not semi-objective real reviews. A good dealer is invaluable to helping ypu fid gear happiness.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439395389' post='2842465']
[/quote]With maple necks?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1439727348' post='2845229']
I find that it is better to concentrate on playing than to obsess about instruments ...I enjoy making music and am therefore "happy".
[/quote]

I totally agree - and have recently begun to do so (again) after a relatively long period of trying out many different basses. It's been a fun and interesting experience though, and at no point did I ever think I'd find a bass that would magically make me a better player, or would increase the size of my gonads.

The conclusion I've come to is, that by and large most bass guitars sound pretty much the same when they're in the mix, and if you can pick out what the bass is doing it's probably too loud or you're playing it wrong. *Runs away* :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439727796' post='2845231']
I totally agree - and have recently begun to do so (again) after a relatively long period of trying out many different basses. It's been a fun and interesting experience though, and at no point did I ever think I'd find a bass that would magically make me a better player, or would increase the size of my gonads.

The conclusion I've come to is, that by and large most bass guitars sound pretty much the same when they're in the mix, and if you can pick out what the bass is doing it's probably too loud or you're playing it wrong. *Runs away* :lol:
[/quote]
I wholeheartedly agree. This place is infected with an unhealthy, rampant GAS virus that seems to infect most.

The key word being "unhealthy" - as demonstrated by the OP's statement "Why am I never happy?"