Why become a member? ×

why am i never happy?

jassbass

I to have been down this road ..I've spent thousands looking for that "perfect bass"..I'm not sure there is such a beast ?..
I have a fernandes Gravity deluxe ..Sandberg California ...schecter precision and a ibanez atk...all very diffrnt styles of bass but all suit my mood swings it's a dangerous game ....but I still regret selling my USA sub ..id have another then I'm done ...probably not .

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1439758629' post='2845594']
I to have been down this road ..I've spent thousands looking for that "perfect bass"..I'm not sure there is such a beast ?..
I have a fernandes Gravity deluxe ..Sandberg California ...schecter precision and a ibanez atk...all very diffrnt styles of bass but all suit my mood swings it's a dangerous game ....but I still regret selling my USA sub ..id have another then I'm done ...probably not .
[/quote]

To be fair mate, the amount of times I've heard you say how happy you were with a bass only for you to turn up at practice with something else you traded it for, I'll be surprised if your list stays the same for very long ;)

Personally I still like that first Mayones Jabba you had - although I'd have the Schecter off you quite happily too :)

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1439760491' post='2845612']

To be fair mate, the amount of times I've heard you say how happy you were with a bass only for you to turn up at practice with something else you traded it for, I'll be surprised if your list stays the same for very long ;)

Personally I still like that first Mayones Jabba you had - although I'd have the Schecter off you quite happily too :)
[/quote] they were confusing times mate ..though it's better now as there's not a lot out there left to try ,the mayones I sold is still on
Here for sale I think and the only one I'd consider selling is the fernandes ...

Don't beat yourself, it's a proper 'psychological' thing.

A quick wee read here sums it up:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ambigamy/201110/gear-acquisition-syndrome-lustily-buying-more-tools-you-need

" I've followed my father's advice. I've always pursued mastery, but always distracted by the search for better tools. Shopping has paid off, but with diminishing returns. My musical instruments are more than adequate. It's time to just woodshed-the musician's term of practicing, isolating yourself in the woodshed to hone your skills.

I've had what we musicians call GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I'm not alone. There are millions of us "weekend warriors" as the music industry calls us, folks who spend lustily on unrequited dreams of musical mastery, folks who keep the dream alive but unfulfilled by shopping for instruments more than they practice them. "

Another group that suffer bad GAS are photographers. One of which writes incredibly well about the neurological reasons behind it here:
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/03/the-fear-to-photograph-and-the-gear-acquisition-problem/

Also, if you're more stressed you have weaker impulse inhibition. A simple thing such as having concerns of failure of your next musical endeavour could be enough to see you seek out a means to alleviate this through the buying of 'stuff'. The manufacturers produce nice things, forums sensationalise these things and before you know it your plunged into a stress reward cycle.

Spending money is incredibly rewarding in the short term, but evidently it is not in the long term and breaking the cycle is difficult. One method I used was simply getting better, playing more, playing with a broader range of people (all of whom are that are infinitely better than me and don't seem to suffer from GAS as it happens) noticing that no one cares if I am good, but really only cares if they are, or indeed if the sound as a whole is good.
Then again, I would only advise against banishing GAS if it genuinely makes you unhappy. Perhaps just controlling it by putting in place rules and some will power?

Or get a wife that is very... strict and... unreasonable. That helps control GAS. Or just try having no money. That also worked for me.

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439802104' post='2845780']
Don't beat yourself, it's a proper 'psychological' thing.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting. This resonated:

"We can wrap ourselves in these tools of mastery, as though they were merely luxury possessions, never getting around to woodshedding and finding out what we're really worth. Maybe we don't really want to know our worth, but would rather bask in the vague potential."

Kind of ties in with my own views on the delusions of 'musicians' and their reasons for playing and their reasons for 'being in a band'.

Edited by discreet

How many of our bass heroes do you think suffer GAS? They were bitten by the reward they got by making people happy playing their music - that is some kick that I have seldom experienced!

Also worth mentioning I spent MUCH more money on gear when I had MUCH less money to spend on it. I signed up here when I was 17. I'm 25 now with a decent job and income and yet find myself unable to spend like I did when I was a 'lad'. I look at my historical posts with a great deal laughter. And I need to make it clear that I am currently GASin' for a new bass, but it has been 5 or 6 years since buying my last! The prospect of a nice new bass is feelin good, heck I have new strings coming in the post today and I'm basically peeing myself.

Edited by TheButler