Why become a member? ×

NNnnnnooooo for YES

bigd1

• 8 months later...

Rebooting this after seeing Sherwood playing with Yes at Colston Hall, Bristol this evening.

I would say he filled Squire's boots on all counts. Presence, backing vocals, sound, bass lines. A strong tribute. Not a new interpretation.

And Trevor Horn will be joining the band at the Royal Albert Hall in a few days for their run-through of Drama.

Meanwhile, Anderson Rabin Wakeman have an album out later this year.

I'm holding out for the Benoit/Bruford/Moraz/Khoroshev line-up doing the Relayer/Tormarto/90125 tour next year. Tony Kaye on synth bass.

Edited by toneknob

When i was at collage we started a Yes tribute band. well that was the idea. Unfortunately the pool of available talent was slightly limited so we ended up with two bassists (lead bass and rhythm bass - yes really). Evan at the time it was not great, in fact horrific would be more accurate.

I have been a YES fan from the 70s and followed the band up till the Drama album. I've not felt they have put out anything much good since that time.
When Jon Anderson left I did feel it was perhaps time the band called it a day and went out while still in a lot of fans eyes sounding great.
When Chris died that in my opinion should have definitely been the point that YES is no more. Between Jon and Chris that was the sound and main driving force of YES.
It seems to me YES have become a tribute band of themselves, not the way this should have gone. I think the same about THE WHO, after John died the final part of the sound of THE WHO has gone, time to call time guys.
I know some feel these band if they can should carry on, but when they have become a tribute band charging full money for gigs etc, is that really being fare to the fans who pay to keep them going?

I saw a clip from the Glasgow gig on youtube yesterday - run through the light - and I was really disappointed. The whole band just sounded wrong and the singer (neil form the young ones?) was trying too hard to be Jon Anderson. might as well have been a Yes tribute band ( and in fact [i]is[/i] one seeing as there's no original members anymore). A pretty lacklustre performance that sounded as if no-one could really be bothered.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1462442608' post='3043004']
I know some feel these band if they can should carry on, but when they have become a tribute band charging full money for gigs etc, is that really being fare to the fans who pay to keep them going?
[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with "fairness", people have a choice as to whether they pay to see them or not.

When Jon Anderson [b]was unceremoniously dumped [/b]I did feel it was perhaps time the band called it a day and went out while still in a lot of fans eyes sounding great.
When Chris died that in my opinion should have definitely been the point that YES is no more. Between Jon and Chris that was the sound and main driving force of YES.
[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1462449800' post='3043083']
It's got nothing to do with "fairness", people have a choice as to whether they pay to see them or not.
[/quote]
I agree to a point. Older bands rely on long term fans, who sometimes I think are taken for a bit of a ride when said bands become a bit of a joke.

I have been a YES fan from the 70s and followed the band up till the Drama album. I've not felt they have put out anything much good since that time.
When Jon Anderson left I did feel it was perhaps time the band called it a day and went out while still in a lot of fans eyes sounding great.
It seems to me YES have become a tribute band of themselves, not the way this should have gone. I think the same about THE WHO, after John died the final part of the sound of THE WHO has gone, time to call time guys.
[/quote]This.
Dunno if there's a lot of love on here for Yes or Billy Sherwood - there's plenty who want Yes to carry on. On the other hand in the Axl/AC/DC thread it's mainly 'there's only you left Angus, knock it on the head'. Bizarre.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1462449800' post='3043083']
[/quote]

No they dont at the moment. I know someone who had bought a ticket before Chris died and didn't know he was ill. He was going but said if he had known Chris would have been there he wouldn't as it was a lot of money for a cover band.
At least AC/DC offered refunds..

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1462476412' post='3043418']
No they dont at the moment. I know someone who had bought a ticket before Chris died and didn't know he was ill. He was going but said if he had known Chris would have been there he wouldn't as it was a lot of money for a cover band.
At least AC/DC offered refunds..
[/quote]

In that instance that's bad luck I agree.
When something like that happens I think it's only fair to offer refunds to people that want them.

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1462403955' post='3042848']
Rebooting this after seeing Sherwood playing with Yes at Colston Hall, Bristol this evening.

I would say he filled Squire's boots on all counts. Presence, backing vocals, sound, bass lines. A strong tribute. Not a new interpretation.
[/quote]

I have to agree with this.
I was at Colston Hall last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been an avid Yes fan for longer than I can remember, so may be a little biased.
Bought my ticket before Chris died but when I heard Billy Sherwood was his favoured replacement for the tour I was comfortable with it.
The whole show was excellent and I suppose the big pressure moment for him was playing The Fish.

He nailed it.

Another interesting observation was how the full house audience enjoyed the show and it was pleasing
to see a complete absence of phones being held up to video it.

Finishing with Starship Trooper was awesome.

http://www.bristol247.com/channel/culture/music/reviews/review-yes-colston-hall

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1462481283' post='3043491']
Another interesting observation was how the full house audience enjoyed the show and it was pleasing
to see a complete absence of phones being held up to video it.
[/quote]

You know what pensioners are like with mobile phones :D

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1462607033' post='3044278']
I've seen Billy using a Spector on a couple of vids - is he using it for the whole show?
[/quote]
He used at least 4 Spectors, including a fretless.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1469713139' post='3100568']
I believe Ringo is available ...
[/quote]Nah, that wouldn't be ludicrous enough for the current state of this 'band'.
Good article though. I didn't realise the current shows included all of Drama and half of Topographic Oceans. That must be riveting.