Why become a member? ×

Spooky bass ghost stories...

jonnythenotes

Not long ago I was rehearsing upstairs at a venue called The Queens Hall in Nuneaton. I was first to arrive, so thought I would get the keys off the boss, go upstairs and start setting up. I got upstairs but had no idea where the light switches were, so I started wandering round in a large, and very dark hall looking for the light switches. At one point, I walked past a doorway, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a chap walk passed on the other side of the door. I stopped, turned round to ask if he new where the lights were, and realised I was looking at a brick wall with no door anywhere near where I was standing. As I was trying to figure out what had happened, I realised It had got very cold, and a wave of uneasiness started to creep over me. Next thing I was flying down the stairs like by pants were on fire. I had a word with the gaffer who said he was convinced it was haunted, and always tried to avoid going up there alone.... That place still creeps me out now even when the room is full.. Any skin crawlers you have....let us know...

I've gone cold just reading the first post :) my imagination is a bit wild and it doesn't take a lot to get it working !

I know a guy, he was one of my tutors at uni, his double bass was very, very old. He used to share a flat with his brother. A few times his brother complained about him playing his double bass late at night. Thing is, he never did, and it only happened when my tutor wasn't there.

My weirdest one wasn't bass related, but was when i was a student. There was a big parkland behind the campus which we sometimes used to dawdle around at night after a few drinks and smokes.

One night we found a interesting old derelict shell of a park lodge building which was being renovated, with some scaffolding, workmen's lighting etc, and unusual ornamental gardens outside, right at the furthest part of the park.

We went back exploring a few more times over several weeks as it was quite interesting and scary to walk arounds the grounds in the dark. That all came to a stop the next time we went and found it was all completed and fully occupied, with plenty of noise and bustle and visible thru the new glass windows were lots of people moving about, sitting at tables and chatting in the well-lit interior.

We didn't bother going there for a while after, but when we came across it again a month or so later, it was still all derelict, run down and completely empty.

Never got to the bottom of that one. its since been converted into a restaurant.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1438702798' post='2836543']
My weirdest one wasn't bass related, but was when i was a student. There was a big parkland behind the campus which we sometimes used to dawdle around at night after a few drinks and smokes.

One night we found a interesting old derelict shell of a park lodge building which was being renovated, with some scaffolding, workmen's lighting etc, and unusual ornamental gardens outside, right at the furthest part of the park.

We went back exploring a few more times over several weeks as it was quite interesting and scary to walk arounds the grounds in the dark. That all came to a stop the next time we went and found it was all completed and fully occupied, with plenty of noise and bustle and visible thru the new glass windows were lots of people moving about, sitting at tables and chatting in the well-lit interior.

We didn't bother going there for a while after, but when we came across it again a month or so later, it was still all derelict, run down and completely empty.

Never got to the bottom of that one. its since been converted into a restaurant.
[/quote]

That's the stone tape theory.

My mom knows someone who was on holiday. The last day she took a photo of an empty rainswept beach (yep she was holidaying in the uk 😁), when she got the photos printed, the empty beach was in fact occupied with lots of people all wearing old fashioned clothing.

I love this kind of thing, even though I too am getting chills reading them!

We played a gig a couple of years back. There was a guy sitting at a table rectangular shape with him and his pint at one end watching us. The table was quite long, we could all clearly seen him and his drink.

Next minute, like a flash, CRASH! His pint glass flew off the table (far end, maybe 2 arm lengths from where he and it was) and smashed onto the floor. We finished the song, and collectively looked in disbelief at what had happened.

Later that night, the owner was saying about a few of his staff would never go downstairs on their own in the building as they were sure something sinister was down there. Strange.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438704132' post='2836559']

That's the stone tape theory.

My mom knows someone who was on holiday. The last day she took a photo of an empty rainswept beach (yep she was holidaying in the uk 😁), when she got the photos printed, the empty beach was in fact occupied with lots of people all wearing old fashioned clothing.
[/quote]

What's the stone tape theory then? Sounds intriguing

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438704132' post='2836559']
My mom knows someone who was on holiday. The last day she took a photo of an empty rainswept beach (yep she was holidaying in the uk ), when she got the photos printed, the empty beach was in fact occupied with lots of people all wearing old fashioned clothing.
[/quote]

Been there, and the same thing happened to me - it's called Skegness.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1438705998' post='2836577']
I played a gig in a run down old venue once. When we started playing we had a decent crowd but by the time we'd finished there was NO ONE THERE!
Spooky.....
[/quote] :lol: Nice reply, and just about the kind of response codswallop about ghosts deserves.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1438723878' post='2836768']

What's the stone tape theory then? Sounds intriguing
[/quote]

Basically that some hauntings are kind of recordings that are etched into the buildings fabric, and are replayed over and over again. People have tried to record them by leaving recording devices over night to pick up sounds and voices, this is called evp or electronic voice phenomena.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438699961' post='2836502']
I've gone cold just reading the first post :) my imagination is a bit wild and it doesn't take a lot to get it working !

I know a guy, he was one of my tutors at uni, his double bass was very, very old. He used to share a flat with his brother. A few times his brother complained about him playing his double bass late at night. Thing is, he never did, and it only happened when my tutor wasn't there.
[/quote]
Seriously????

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1438702798' post='2836543']

[/quote]
The most pertinent line in this story was "a few drinks and smokes".

The other really weird thing happened to me and my brother when we were both kids, me maybe seven and him ten years old or so. We lived by the sea in South Wales and were often on the beach.

One really sunny hot afternoon we were playing on the sand when my brother said: "hey can you see that massive man over there?" And sure enough we watched what can only be described as a man, completely black and spindly like a burnt match, with no features,
walking down the side of the headland at the end of the bay.

You could pick out the coloured clothing of other people on top of the cliffs nearby but none of them seemed to see this weird long black figure at all. Compared to them he must have been about ten foot tall or so, but completely black even in the bright sunshine.

He silently strolled down the sloping cliffs and then disappeared from view at the bottom. It wasn't scary cos it was the middle of a hot summer day on the beach, but me and my bro remember it like it was yesterday, over 30 years later.

Seriously weird.

I'd like to add tho that I'm not particularly convinced about ghosts or the supernatural, largely because after 40 years on earth I've still not seen anything to make me 100% sure.

But experiences like this do leave me scratching my head a bit.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1438724797' post='2836782']

The most pertinent line in this story was "a few drinks and smokes".
[/quote]

Ha ha yes - sadly not that many drinks and smokes, and there were an awful lot of us who saw it too...!

I'm not convinced what it was, but it was a bloody strange experience. Nowt since then tho, and that was over 20 years ago.

I've had two odd experiences, neither bass related.

One happened about 20 years ago.

My parents owned a caravan in Lincolnshire, me and my elder brother used to go up there fairly recently for weekends.

The one Friday night we set off. Our route would be M42/A42, then it's across country going through Melton Mowbray, past Rutland water to Stamford.

This particular night we took the wrong turn when we got off the motorway, and ended up on a dual carriageway, heading towards Leicester. We knew what we'd done, but thought no problem, there's bound to be a pull through, wel'll just do a U turn.

We saw a man standing on the verge, old, wearing a brown rain coat, a hat, with a bag on the ground next to him.

As we got to him, he stepped out into the road, straight in front of us, and just totally vanished.

There was no bump, no sound at all, except for us panicking.

Looking back we couldn't see anything. Literally 20 seconds later there was a pull in across the central reservation, so we did a U turn and went back, there was no sign of him, or his bag.

Writing this now, on a sunny morning in my garden drinking coffee, I've gone all cold.

We both saw him.

Edited by ambient

I've had two odd experiences, neither bass related.

One happened about 20 years ago.

My parents owned a caravan in Lincolnshire, me and my elder brother used to go up there fairly recently for weekends. I'd have been 17 or 18 at the time, my brother early 20s. So both fit and healthy, and definitely not under the influence of anything at the time.

The one Friday night we set off. Our route would be M42/A42, then it's across country going through Melton Mowbray, past Rutland water to Stamford.

This particular night we took the wrong turn when we got off the motorway, and ended up on a dual carriageway, heading towards Leicester. We knew what we'd done, but thought no problem, there's bound to be a pull through, wel'll just do a U turn.

We saw a man standing on the verge, old, wearing a brown rain coat, a hat, with a bag on the ground next to him.

As we got to him, he stepped out into the road, straight in front of us, and just totally vanished.

There was no bump, no sound at all, except for us panicking.

Looking back we couldn't see anything. Literally 20 seconds later there was a pull in across the central reservation, so we did a U turn and went back, there was no sign of him, or his bag.

Writing this now, on a sunny morning in my garden drinking coffee, I've gone all cold.

We both saw him.

Edited by ambient

Never seen anything weird unfortunately... I'd like to see something, I've always been open to it, I've never even heard a bump in the night let alone seen anything like the stories above...

I did see some weird sh*t when I was on mushrooms back in the day though...

Edited by CamdenRob

I inherited this old P Bass once. Strings were decades old with an unplayable action. I stripped it down to get the action to something approaching normal and noticed some dolt had carved FUNK into the neck heel. Restrung it with fresh round wounds but could never get a good rock tone out of it. Just a thump thump thump like the strings were dead again. Plus, whenever I started to play it my right hand would cramp up to the point I could only play with one finger- Weird huh? Final straw was when I started to dream about impossible bass lines and apparently woke up one night screaming out the name Bernadette. I’ve never met anyone called Bernadette.

Part ex’d it on a nice Ibanez SR and never looked back.

Edited by stuckinthepod

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1438774008' post='2837071']
I inherited this old P Bass once. Strings were decades old with an unplayable action. I stripped it down to get the action to something approaching normal and noticed some dolt had carved FUNK into the neck heel. Restrung it with fresh round wounds but could never get a good rock tone out of it. Just a thump thump thump like the strings were dead again. Plus, whenever I started to play it my right hand would cramp up to the point I could only play with one finger- Weird huh? Final straw was when I started to dream about impossible bass lines and apparently woke up one night screaming out the name Bernadette. I’ve never met anyone called Bernadette.

Part ex’d it on a nice Ibanez SR and never looked back.
[/quote]That is indeed spooky!