Why become a member? ×

The sad and tragic failures of the 'new' rockbass streamer fretless...

goonieman

...and here we go again.

Bought 'new' from a small european retailer. Was promised it was new, setup by a pro, no issues.

Major issue 1: SERIOUS concave bow - even with no string tension. Under string tension, I maxed-out the truss and there is still around 1-2mm relief. Way too much for my liking, especially given the truss is maxed (I dare push no further - there is definite clear and present danger because of sudden resistance in turning. "fools tread..."

Minor issue 1: The balance knob is wired wrong way around. LOL. no real biggie, but still... :rolleyes:

Minor issue 2: Needs a shim. Duh. :rolleyes:

Minor issue 3: The tone control does almost nothing. Seriously. Almost no effect at all. :blink:

Minor issue 4: the pickups are bottomed-out. Nowhere further to dig-in, with only 1-2mm clearance from strings to the top of pups. Not quite right. :huh:

Minor issue 5: clear signs of play from roundwounds on neck. Not much. No biggie, but still...

Result: FAIL

I have started a conversation about a return.

Such a shame, because she's a beauty! And the tigerstripe ebony feels like heaven to the touch. Good balance to it too. Awesome colour.

If had a bought it dirt cheap I would fix it up myself.

Someone out there have a good one?

Sigh... back to searching...

That's an eye catching fingerboard though!

I'm pretty sceptical of the Rockbasses. That looks like an older one without the 3D bridge. Does it say "Rockbass" on the headstock instead of the "W"?

As for that model, I wanted to be impressed by it when I played the 5er but the pickups were a bit muddy. The active Corvettes with J pickups were noticeably better to my ears.

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1437662903' post='2827993']

I'm pretty sceptical of the Rockbasses. That looks like an older one without the 3D bridge. Does it say "Rockbass" on the headstock instead of the "W"?

[/quote]

the very same.

I'm gutted. Half-tempted to fix it up myself and tell them i'd rather take a discount. What are the odds? They just won't believe me right?
I'd need a £100 back... bought it for £245 to the door.

What say ye?

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1437662903' post='2827993']
That's an eye catching fingerboard though!
[/quote]

+1!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437663307' post='2827997']
Excellent notion. You could get on the same bill as Commercial Suicide. A fine band.
[/quote]

Ah yes, I've not actually heard them, but I think we share the same influences. Often my ideas are greeted with "Sounds like..."

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1437663582' post='2828002']
...definitely an old Rockbass, as the bridge shows. Pre-2010? Or even older?
[/quote]

Ah, I must have misunderstood, I thought it was a new one. That restricts the options a little, possibly.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437664164' post='2828007']
Ah, I must have misunderstood, I thought it was a new one. That restricts the options a little, possibly.
[/quote]

I imagined it could have sat in the shop, new and almost untouched, for years, and by the sound of goonieman's description, there would have been a good reason for that...

The strat style input jack and bridge mean it's the older model.

I bought a 5 string Streamer for £280 from an Italian shop, Overbeat.it. A good deal cheaper than anywhere else in Europe, maybe they listed it wrong!

It was set up really well out of the box, in fact I have not bothered to touch the set up yet until I get round to changing the strings, which were ok as well.

The electronics were a major let down though - passive humbuckers wired up to 2x 25K volume pots?! Should be 250K or 500K surely, and the output level is woeful. Going into a boost pedal into the B7K though and it sounds immense - I have a Darkglass preamp waiting to be fitted to it that should give it a proper kick up the jacksie.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1437664348' post='2828009']
I imagined it could have sat in the shop, new and almost untouched, for years, and by the sound of goonieman's description, there would have been a good reason for that...
[/quote]

Spot on bluejay. It's an 06 model - and I should have known better. I was smitten by the colour and the prospect of a fretless.

I have done heat treatments that have worked a treat - seems to work better on 3-5 piece necks because of the glue. If I get a could discount, I could put some backbow back into the neck, get a new tone cap for the potentiometer, a shim, and bobs your uncle.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1437664499' post='2828012']
The electronics were a major let down though - passive humbuckers wired up to 2x 25K volume pots?! Should be 250K or 500K surely, and the output level is woeful. Going into a boost pedal into the B7K though and it sounds immense - I have a Darkglass preamp waiting to be fitted to it that should give it a proper kick up the jacksie.
[/quote]

I have an older Rockbass streamer. IMHO it sounds much improved through my graphic eq pedal set up to give lots of boost as well as tone shaping.

The bass here looks fantastic IMHO. Pity it isn't set up, or possibly even constructed, properly.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1437673754' post='2828134']
A dog is a dog, pretty or not - send it back and don't entertain the thoughts you have to fixing it up.
[/quote]

Half of me knows your right... but the power of the fixer-upper force in this one is strong...

The low pickup and saddle issue will cancel out as soon as I put a shim in the neck. The tone control issue is a 2 min solder job.

The neck is the big question mark. If I get a discount from the supplier i'm going to look into that.

It's too pretty to pass-off so quick. I've never seen one in white/cream, and the ebony fretboard is lovely.

I'll let y'all know how I get on in a few days. THanks for all the support. I love this place! :D

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1437667943' post='2828069']
FYI - no strings, truss rod neutral (middle position - no tension). That just ain't right for a new bass.

Should be much closer to dead straight. Are we agreed?
[/quote]

Yeah that's a lot of relief already. But I think since the truss rod is working it is probably fixable. Does it backbow with the rod maxed and no strings on?.
You should probably get a refund but it is a lovely looking bass, so me I would try get a discount and I would fix it.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1437680433' post='2828217']
Yeah that's a lot of relief already. But I think since the truss rod is working it is probably fixable. Does it backbow with the rod maxed and no strings on?.
You should probably get a refund but it is a lovely looking bass, so me I would try get a discount and I would fix it.
[/quote]

There is a hint of backbow when the truss is maxed and no strings - so that is a good sign that the truss at least has an impact.

I've been doing 'guerilla fix-ups' for many years, so I am undaunted. This is one of the joys of learning how to setup these instruments and having a keen interest in the 'how' and 'why' questions of these beasts.

I'll probably go for a cheap active preamp replacement if I get a discount:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TONE-MONSTER-SEB3-A-Preamp-Guitar-Bass-Balance-Volume-Treble-Bass-Middle-12dB-/181790951655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a5395c8e7

Nah, the washer trick doesn't really generate much currency in the turnage department in general (my personal experience - but i'm happy to hear other experiences!). Certainly not enough to take out 1 or 2mm relief remaining in the neck.

The core issue remains a warped neck, so i'll be looking to address that root cause first.

The shop owners have offered my £50 off... so i'm scratching my head whether its worth it to keep the bass.