Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision - Matt Freeman model. Incredible.

mcnach

Most players set the saddle, trust rod etc. I noticed there's a slight curve on my jazz bass neck due to chunky roto strings i use. Of course it plays out the box, but everyone talks about setting up. I personally lower the action.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1435672954' post='2811247']
Most players set the saddle, trust rod etc. I noticed there's a slight curve on my jazz bass neck due to chunky roto strings i use. Of course it plays out the box, but everyone talks about setting up. I personally lower the action.
[/quote]

Well yes, but most player do this to get the bass feeling and playing as they want it. you dont HAVE to do this and not everyone dives straight in with all this.

Wait until you put your Rotos on and then see what needs doing. Sounds like you know how to lower the saddles anyway. Start with that.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1435670974' post='2811215']
I have ordered one too. I ordered a white one, they delivered a black one yesterday. The box even said vintage white. I called the shop and they should deliver one tomorrow. Another day wasted waiting, hopefully itll e worth it. How do I set up the bass. Never set one up.
[/quote]

Mine needed nothing but a slight turn of the truss rod. I did bring the saddles down a bit too as I wanted a bit more "snap", but it was pretty good as it was. Fretwork is good, the nut is not great but was cut well and would last a while...

Actually the one thing I had to do to both my Squire CV basses was to change the bridge. I felt uncomfortable with the 20mm string spacing so put Gotoh 201 bridges on both.
The other mods were more for fun, although I do like the Wizard pups better than the stock jazz pups.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435697396' post='2811661']

Mine needed nothing but a slight turn of the truss rod. I did bring the saddles down a bit too as I wanted a bit more "snap", but it was pretty good as it was. Fretwork is good, the nut is not great but was cut well and would last a while...
[/quote]

What are the nuts on the CV Squiers about? Squier says they're "synthetic bone" and they work fine, but they look like they could started crumbling to pieces at any minute. They don't inspire confidence to look at but they function well, I've not (yet) had a problem with them.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1435847905' post='2813001']
Ive had my CV Jazz since they were released and ive had issue with it (or the neck in general) at all. Probably done 200+ gigs with it.
[/quote]

I'm sure they're fine (in fact I've heard a lot of people say they're pretty good), but they look like they're made from that stuff that dentists use for temporary fillings.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1435860169' post='2813177']
I'm sure they're fine (in fact I've heard a lot of people say they're pretty good), but they look like they're made from that stuff that dentists use for temporary fillings.
[/quote]

Yes, they look worse than they really are, probably. It's actually quite a tough material now that I tested it!

• 2 weeks later...

... and if someone is near Liverpool and wants one.. I just noticed this!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Black-Matt-Freeman-Signature-Model-Precision-Bass-/111716991312?"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Black-Matt-Freeman-Signature-Model-Precision-Bass-/111716991312?[/url]

disclaimer: nothing to do with me!

• 4 weeks later...

Needed a decent price fretted bass for practice purposes, and USA SUBs are rare as hens teeth now, so have just pulled the trigger. Managed to get a mint example with a Quarter Pounder SPB3 fitted, so hopefully should sound as good as it looks/plays.

My MF had its first gig at the weekend and I can't tell whether it was the bass or the amp but this thing is powerful straight from stock! It just has a great thick, classic precision tone. I was considering upgrading the pickups but that'll be on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

Having regretted selling my Squier CV P bass in Fiesta Red
and having thought about getting one again, on an almost daily basis

I broke my own one-in-one-out rule
and bought another, identical one secondhand, from a local Facebook gear for sale forum

Since selling the last one, I bought a rather nice USA P bass from Old Horse Murphy on this fine forum
and I really have been converted back to P basses since then
Comparing the CV P bass, with the US
There really isn't much in it, in terms of quality of build, comfort, playability and sound

The US P feels slightly lighter - although I've not backed this up by weighing the 2 basses
and the pickup on the US bass has a slightly louder pickup, with a little more "grunt"
EDIT: But I'd stress there really isn't very much in it....
And having paid only around a third of the cost of the 2nd hand US bass for the 2nd hand China made CV bass
The quality of the Squier is absolutely staggering!

I tried a secondhand Matt Freeman in the meantime too, and was equally impressed by that
But I just had to go for the 60's Fiesta Red P again....
I think these could be future classics, regarded in similar vein to the early Japan built "JV" Squiers

The nut on my Squier feels pretty tough - no issues so far, on either that I've owned

PS. I'm now lusting after the CV Jazz, with maple board & block inlays
..... oh no! ;)

Edited by Marc S

Hello,
I'm happy and 3-y experienced owner of the Matt Freeman's sig bass.
Pros:
Price/performance ratio: Is just great. US made comparable bass for the 1/3 of price. And even cheaper for the secondhand.
Electronics/Pickup: electronics are fine. Cavities are shielded with graphite paint. Nor hum or whatsoever. Pickup has a vintage kind of a sound and moderate output. Very solid. I've swapped it with EMG Geezer Butler P just to find out they sound almost the same.
Cons:
Body is basswood so finish tends to collect dings and dents very easily. Expect quick MoJo if you use your MF any harder :)
Bridge is 20mm string-to-string spacing and is NOT retrofit with standard 19 mm bridges, neither by holes pattern nor saddles could be swapped.
It is a great bass for the money. I'd compare it to US, Mex and Japan made brothers rather that other Squier series.
It feels and looks as much more expensive guitar. Although, it needs a pro setup to shine perfectly.
P.S. After 2 years of ownership I had to go through this: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-matt-freeman-p-bass-neck-rattle-removal.1156159/"]http://www.talkbass....emoval.1156159/[/url]

Edited by vaesto

[quote name='vaesto' timestamp='1440401740' post='2850276']
Hello,
I'm happy and 3-y experienced owner of the Matt Freeman's sig bass.
Pros:
Price/performance ratio: Is just great. US made comparable bass for the 1/3 of price. And even cheaper for the secondhand.
Electronics/Pickup: electronics are fine. Cavities are shielded with graphite paint. Nor hum or whatsoever. Pickup has a vintage kind of a sound and moderate output. Vary solid. I've swapped it with EMG Geezer Butler P just to find out they sound almost the same.
Cons:
Body is basswood so finish tends to collect dings and dents very easily. Expect quick MoJo if you use your MF any harder :)
Bridge is 20mm string-to-string spacing and is NOT retrofit with standard 19 mm bridges, neither by holes pattern nor saddles could be swapped.
It is a great bass for the money. I'd compare it to US, Mex and Japan made brothers rather that other Squier series.
It feels and looks as much more expensive guitar. Although, it needs a pro setup to shine perfectly.
P.S. After 2 years of ownership I had to go through this: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-matt-freeman-p-bass-neck-rattle-removal.1156159/"]http://www.talkbass....emoval.1156159/[/url]
[/quote]

:blink: you're a brave man! (and very skilled!) I'd have never even thought of attempting anything like what you did. Very interesting 'though! Stiffening rods, eh? Curious.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1440446223' post='2850858']
Ok, I've officially lost it... I saw the title of this post and thought "What? Fender are doing a budget range of Hobbit themed basses?" Nurse, can you get me my pills. I think I need to go for a little lie down...
[/quote]

:lol: brilliant!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few people have talked about "upgrading" the pickup on these basses - but does anyone know what the stock PU is? The Fender/Squier website isn't particularly helpful! It sounds OK mind... I'm just interested :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='vaesto' timestamp='1442823037' post='2869625']
The pickup itself has a label "ABP-1". And some people say it is Tonerider OEM. In any case stock PU is very decent vintage sounding pickup.
[/quote]

Sorry for my ignorance, but - OEM?? :blink: