Why become a member? ×

Motorhead At Glasto 2015 - BBC4

spongebob

What do folk think of the Lemmy documentary that was on telly...specifically where he starts boasting about "banging" (as he puts it) all the other band members' wives/girlfriends?

Personally, I rolled my eyes and yawned as he dropped off the credibility scale quicker than Kanye West singing Bohemian Rhapsody whilst driving a tan Austin Allegro.

EDIT: Having just watched Ace of Spades at Glasto, I'd like to balance the above by saying "fair play" to Lemmy for that. It certainly beats some of the other crap we've heard this year.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1435411539' post='2808555']
It may not be classic Motorhead, but it certainly won't be the worst thing you'll see from Glastonbury this weekend!
[/quote]
And I think we all know who that was! <_<

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1435512518' post='2809554']
What do folk think of the Lemmy documentary that was on telly...
[/quote]
I loved the movie, but take your point about boasting of banging his band mates other halves. Not big, not clever... but hey, it's rock n roll dude!

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1435512518' post='2809554']
What do folk think of the Lemmy documentary that was on telly...specifically where he starts boasting about "banging" (as he puts it) all the other band members' wives/girlfriends?[/quote]

IIRC that was when Hawkwind conspired to eject him (in his opinion) using a Canadian drug bust as an excuse. It was a revenge thing, though I'm not condoning it. It may well be the story's been [i]enhanced[/i] over the years since.
My other half has very little interest in rock music of any kind but even she spotted Lemmy's voice when Silver Machine was played this aft on the radio.
The guy has lived - and will probably die - by his own code. He's created a unique bass sound & in many people eyes is still trying to "live up" to the "classic line-up.
In the band's inbetween years they (he) lost a lot on royalties etc; Motorhead is now more a corporate machine, with much more merchandising, admins and PAs etc.
The last time I met him, still a few years ago tho', I was shocked that they all had individual rooms in the venue, no groupies, press, hangers-on, just him, his bandit, Marlboros & JD - and even those latter 2 are gone now. I just hope it's all still on his terms.

I felt quite sad watching it, to be honest :(

Saw Motorhead during the late 80s at the Birmingham Bierkeller and they were fantastic. And the loudest thing I've ever heard.

Watching Lemmy on stage at Glasto... well... it just wasn't right. As others have said, credit to him for raging "against the dying of the light" and all that. But he looked so frail and bewildered on stage. I just don't think he's doing himself any justice these days. Time to take a bow and stop rattling the can.

I watched the cutdown iplayer footage on Friday night and enjoyed it, although ending on the drum solo instead of Ace of Spades was a dreadful decision. Just watched the full uncut version on YouTube, it is a damn good set. Definitely recommend seeing the full set.

I caught one word and a drum solo when it was broadcast (forgot it was on).
watched the full set earlier.

I thought they did a good job, on stage banter was a bit poor though and the bass was a little quiet, but not bad...

I only got to see the end of the set last night. On the one hand I find it hard to believe he'd start deliberately singing Ace Of Spades over the Overkill backing (it doesn't seem to work as a joke in any context to me) on the other is he really that far gone that not only did he forget they'd already played AOS but didn't recognise the actual song the band started even though he's been playing it for decades? It was all very surreal and sounded utter sh*te.

Edited by KevB