Why become a member? ×

Ebay fees are getting ridiculous

TDM

I've been trying to sell my friends Tokai acoustic for him, I did some calculations. the £1.30 listing fee is reasonable enough. Then I started looking at final value fees. £2 and then 4.5%, doesn't seem so bad on paper does it? Then I get out the calculator and it comes out to close to £20, F***!!!!!! I know the new fees are old news, but this is the first time I've tried to sell something since then. And now they want to ramp up the fees even more?!?!?

I hate to imagine what Paypal will charge nowadays, last time I checked it was 3.5% or something. (Good thing it's cash on collection only though) I get the impression now that my friend might get more money trading it into a guitar shop or something!

/rant

This was discussed on Radio 4's you and yours this afternoon.

Ebay have changed their billing to reduce listing fees and increase the amount of final value fees. They've also reduced final value fees for buy it now items.

Surprise, surprise, these changes benefit large volume purveyors of Far Eastern electronic tat but seriously harm smaller volume sellers.

I guess the ebay miracle had to end at some point.

It feels like to me they're trying to maintain their profit margins in the face of a steady fall off in trade since the romance with Ebay ended a few years ago.

Did everyone realise that Ebay also owns Gumtree? I think they've been quite cunning in limiting the functionality of that site so that its a load of extra faff to look for ads placed in other local centres (while also marketing this as a strong point). That way Gumtree doesn't get in the way of Ebay which, I guess, they're setting a price point for on the basis of providing national and international exposure.

I really don't understand their strategy, it sounds to me like they've already accepted there's an unavoidable decline in the use of Ebay and there's nothing to lose in terms of how much they charge and how they go about charging. In the meantime they also seem to be trying to take advantage of their position using paypal to control and charge for the financial transactions, using Gumtree to manage the demand for freeads, inventing additional categories for ebay fees to make the fee estimating process more hidden in order to take advantage of sellers optimistic guess-timates.)

Ultimately whatever happens to Ebay I guess they'll still be left with a brand name and who knows one day we might be riding in Ebay trains, renting Ebay cars, getting Ebay insurance or booking a holiday with Ebay Travel Agents. They could become as ubiquitous as Tescos.

As a slight diversion: Anyone noticed on their BT Phone bill a £4.95 payment processing charge? I just noticed it this on this quarters bill. I really want to call them up and just confirm that this means they're charging me for taking my money off me?! Like, did they ask me for permission? What benefits do I get for my money as a consumer?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='271940' date='Aug 28 2008, 06:14 PM']As a slight diversion: Anyone noticed on their BT Phone bill a £4.95 payment processing charge? I just noticed it this on this quarters bill. I really want to call them up and just confirm that this means they're charging me for taking my money off me?! Like, did they ask me for permission? What benefits do I get for my money as a consumer?[/quote]

This got a lot of coverage in Guardian Money. It's a standard charge they levy for all customers who do not pay by direct debit. There was a huge stink about it as, like most of these tricks (higher unit prices for electricity on a meter, per transaction unauthorised borrowing fees, mis-selling PPI on loans) it's aimed at extracting money from the most vulnerable people.

Edited by bassbloke

[quote name='markytbass' post='272887' date='Aug 29 2008, 10:56 PM']I was f***ing shocked £750 I sold the ray for, got stung £25 ish by paypal then today I find £30 ebay final value fee what a bunch of c**ts. Now I don't like using that word but thats what they are, I will not be selling anything but tat on there from now on.[/quote]

That's still less than what you'd pay if you put it up for sale in a shop.... average is 10-15%.

But I do agree the fee's are shocking but I think it's a good thing as it will help reduce the amount of online traders diminishing the value of music/Pro Audio products that the manufacturers work so hard to put in to this country!

Rant over

[quote name='crez5150' post='272895' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:05 PM']That's still less than what you'd pay if you put it up for sale in a shop.... average is 10-15%.

But I do agree the fee's are shocking but I think it's a good thing as it will help reduce the amount of online traders diminishing the value of music/Pro Audio products that the manufacturers work so hard to put in to this country!

Rant over[/quote]

I'm afraid the very opposite will be the case. Ebay's change in fee structure is geared towards higher volume, 'buy it now' style operators, so box shifters will win over smaller sellers of used equipment.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='271794' date='Aug 28 2008, 02:31 PM']I never was one for selling a lot on ebay, but I'll never sell again on there due to the fees and the monopoly they've created with PayPal. f***’em![/quote]

I’ve just majorly contradicted myself by letting my girlfriend sell 18 bits of clothes on my ebay account, although she’s picking up the fees and the paypal charges of course :) – [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/fleabassuk"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/fleabassuk[/url]

Anyone into women’s high street fashion?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='273649' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:41 PM']I’ve just majorly contradicted myself by letting my girlfriend sell 18 bits of clothes on my ebay account, although she’s picking up the fees and the paypal charges of course :huh: – [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/fleabassuk"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/fleabassuk[/url]

Anyone into women’s high street fashion?[/quote]

MB1. :)
UM?....Nice what Size? :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='272881' date='Aug 29 2008, 10:41 PM']well its enough to make me think about switching to Virgin. Although they've done a good job of layering their fees as well. What are the alternatives to BT phone lines?[/quote]
Now for someone who worked for BT for over 40 years, I find it really strange to be recommending anyone else, but heyho, i'm retired now so what the hell they are a joke.
The unfortunate thing with Telecomms Companies is that their Customer Service is all as bad as each other but for Value, Talk Talk or Sky take some beating, particularly as yo get free Broadband with both.
Check the Phone section here [url="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/"]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/[/url]
All the latest deals will be explained.

[quote name='markytbass' post='272887' date='Aug 29 2008, 10:56 PM']I was f***ing shocked £750 I sold the ray for, got stung £25 ish by paypal then today I find £30 ebay final value fee what a bunch of c**ts. Now I don't like using that word but thats what they are, I will not be selling anything but tat on there from now on.[/quote]

Well said. Couldn't put it better myself.
They're obviously cashing in the current economic climate, whereby some people need to sell things to get by. :)

Hopefully, ebay's latest action may help to stimulate a bit of competition & get some of the other sites like Ebid going.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='273776' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:52 PM']Now for someone who worked for BT for over 40 years, I find it really strange to be recommending anyone else, but heyho, i'm retired now so what the hell they are a joke.
The unfortunate thing with Telecomms Companies is that their Customer Service is all as bad as each other but for Value, Talk Talk or Sky take some beating, particularly as yo get free Broadband with both.
Check the Phone section here [url="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/"]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/[/url]
All the latest deals will be explained.[/quote]

Yup.

I get a call from BT every couple of weeks (unfortunately you can't block em with TPS) asking me to go back to them (I'm with Sky). I always say sure if I get free broadband - goes strangely quiet then.