Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Polytune Clip.

ambient

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1435050926' post='2804872']
Just pre-ordered one of these from GAK... No idea when it'll turn up but looking forward to seeing if it actually works.
[/quote]
I ordered one a few days ago from Gear4Music - delivery was said to be this Friday (I was not hopeful). Email received this morning says it is delayed...
I see Thomann are still saying "available immediately" and have been for a few days.

Mine arrived yesterday - 71 pence cheaper than Thomann*

I'll let those more qualified do the reviews, but it was an improvement on my previous tuner (once I'd got used to the display): (i) It does not need to be plugged in. (II) It has a sensible on/off switch and auto power off. (iii) It does not have that "OK that'll do" attitude of my previous tuner.
The only problem I found was with my bass, it picked up open A and the 12th fret harmonic OK, but A fretted at 12 confused it - I have a buzz somewhere either a rattly tuner of fret buzz behing the fretted fret. Time to buy a decent set of tuners, I think.

* For those waiting for Thomann deliveries, I feel your pain and hope your stuff arrives very soon

Edited by pfretrock

Might pop into PMT Brum at lunch to pick 1 up as it say's they have it in stock, my Boss clip-on doesn't play nice with B Strings and is a tad unsure sometimes :(

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1436431128' post='2817995']
What sort of batteries does it take? those coin shaped ones or normal ones?
[/quote]

The website says the button/coin type batteries, "Up to 18 hours of usage via a standard Lithium Coin Battery (CR2032)" :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1436431869' post='2818006']
The website says the button/coin type batteries, "Up to 18 hours of usage via a standard Lithium Coin Battery (CR2032)" :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

Thats great thanks. I think I have a couple of those 2032s kicking around.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436432336' post='2818012']
Chaps,

Are you replacing a floor/rack tuner or another clip tuner?

Did you try any other clip tuners before you bought the TC one?

Cheers
[/quote]

Yes I have a fender one and it's rubbish... Hoping to be able to leave the TU-3 at home. Every little bit of weight I can save when traveling on public transport is a bonus.

I have the Peterson strobo clip tuner thTs is very accurate but it's not something I take to a gig as it's not cheap and feels a bit fragile.
I mostly use the small headstock tuners that stay out of sight.
Saying that I can't remember the last time I needed a tuner on stage anyway, my basses just seem to stay in tune, so it's more there for me to look at and try and make up words as Im playing :-)

Mine arrived. Mostly impressed BUT it struggles to display the single not mode on low E & B. E is fine on my Dingwall but reverts to plyphonic mode on the Fender. Low B on the Dingwall does the same. Assuming it's the resonant characteristics of the basses and the low-B fundamental being less prevelent than the harmonics.

Works flawlessly on guitars.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1436440782' post='2818133']
E is fine on my Dingwall but reverts to plyphonic mode on the Fender. Low B on the Dingwall does the same.
[/quote]

Did you press and hold button 3 for 5 seconds to toggle between Bass and Guitar mode? (should display 'B' or 'G') . "In Bass mode, the polyphonic tuner is disabled"

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1436441929' post='2818146']
Did you press and hold button 3 for 5 seconds to toggle between Bass and Guitar mode? (should display 'B' or 'G') . "In Bass mode, the polyphonic tuner is disabled"
[/quote]

Duh, you'd think I'd know to read instructions by now... Works a treat! Thanks!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1436443107' post='2818167']
Duh, you'd think I'd know to read instructions by now... Works a treat! Thanks!
[/quote]
Reckon it gets confused by harmonics and noise, hence the Bass mode. On Guitar it should detect single or multiple strings and switch to needle or poly.
(I struggled to read the small print - getting old.....)

So from those who`ve now got these, they work well right? I`m in the same postion, want to cut down on gear and if one of these actually works in a gig environment I`ll sort one. The PW I have is ok in a rehearsal room, but at gigs it just doesn`t seem to work - probably picks up all sorts of noise from the background music.

Obviously not gigged mine yet, will rehearse with it next week though and feed back from there. Now I've ReadTFM it's simple and tracks really quickly. Interestingly shows how the pitch changes slightly with initial attack and fade out of the note more than other tuners I've used.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1436455633' post='2818305']
Easier to read manual [url="http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/5311841/tc-electronic-polytune-clip-manual_english.pdf"]here[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that pfretrock the one they ship is of no use at all!! I can't read a word!!

Tuner works fine for Bass -- Not sure it is any better than my Snark? Suppose if you use polytune on Guitar it is more worth the extra? Time will tell?

Bren