Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Polytune Clip.

ambient

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1436617056' post='2819547']
Just bought one from PMT in Romford.....hope they work as most clip ons aren't that good.
[/quote]

I sometimes see things backwards, I just though i saw Epiphone Woody Allen signature bass, in your sig :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436716253' post='2820144']
It's extremely fast and accurate. However it seems that I can't use my favoured reference pitch, so I'm a little disappointed. You can only change the reference pitch by +/- 5 Hz.
[/quote]

Nope, you can change the reference pitch in 1Hz increments. Thats what it says in the manual, and I just tried it, and it does.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436717307' post='2820157']
Nope, you can change the reference pitch in 1Hz increments. Thats what it says in the manual, and I just tried it, and it does.
[/quote]

Yep, but only up or down by a maximum of 5 Hz. The lowest it'll go is 435 Hz.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yep, but only up or down by a maximum of 5 Hz. The lowest it'll go is 435 Hz.[/font][/color][/quote]
How low do you want to go? And why, if you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1434533323' post='2800444']
If it works on the Low B then I'll have one.

None of the others do. At least not properly.
[/quote]
[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1434541315' post='2800559']
Same here.
[/quote]

If you are happy with monophonic operation, I recommend the Snark. I have 3 - one lives in my bass case, one in my guitar stuff, and one in my practice room.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436719118' post='2820174']
I like to tune to A at 432 Hz.
[/quote]

If there even is anything to that theory, tuning to 432 in equal temperament would be pointless anyway.

Overtones of the arbitrary pitch values used in modern temperament wouldn't hit the naturally occurring mathematical values which tuning to that number is supposed to achieve.

You'd have to tune each string to a different pitch (for example F# at 428.6) to have the desired effect, which would then put your equally tempered frets 'out of tune'

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' timestamp='1436721153' post='2820200']
If there even is anything to that theory, tuning to 432 in equal temperament would be pointless anyway.

Overtones of the arbitrary pitch values used in modern temperament wouldn't hit the naturally occurring mathematical values which tuning to that number is supposed to achieve.

You'd have to tune each string to a different pitch (for example F# at 428.6) to have the desired effect, which would then put your equally tempered frets 'out of tune'
[/quote]

It's what [b]I[/b] like to do :)

[quote name='Oscar South' timestamp='1436721482' post='2820206']
Fair enough.

I do think that it's a cool idea and I also tune my 'solo performance' instrument to the exact values for each pitch to achieve what '432' proposes to, because I like the appeal of this area of speculation in overtone based music.
[/quote]

I saw your post the other day regarding overtones. Very interesting.

So how do you tune your bass ?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436721694' post='2820210']
I saw your post the other day regarding overtones. Very interesting.

So how do you tune your bass ?
[/quote]

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head; the actual values have gone from my mind as rather than re-calibrate my tuner I've figured out which 'out of tune' position to aim each string for.

I will run the maths and post about it at a later time if you're interested. I think the theory and mathematics behind the idea are very interesting and tuning each string this way to a different calibration does create a distinctly different feeling tonality.

[quote name='Oscar South' timestamp='1436722111' post='2820216']

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head; the actual values have gone from my mind as rather than re-calibrate my tuner I've figured out which 'out of tune' position to aim each string for.

I will run the maths and post about it at a later time if you're interested. I think the theory and mathematics behind the idea are very interesting and tuning each string this way to a different calibration does create a distinctly different feeling tonality.
[/quote]

Please yes, when you have time.

😊

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1436726247' post='2820265']
If you are using nonstandard pitch does this mean the whole band has to also use this tuning?

I'm very intrigued as to why people want to do this though.
[/quote]

It'd just for my solo bass stuff.

I have to remember to reset my tuner when I'm with a band though, so I'm gonna use my old intellitouch pt10 for my stuff, and I'll keep the poly tune for the bands.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1439461994' post='2843005']
How is everyone getting on with them? Is it reliable and accurate enough to do away with a dedicated strobe pedal tuner?...
[/quote]

Can't speak for anyone else but love mine, fast and accurate! Does what it say's on the tin...or box! :i-m_so_happy: