Why become a member? ×

Which to keep? Stingray 2EQ vs Warwick $$

goonieman

Sigh... I bought the German Ocean Blue Warwick $$ that was on sale in the classifieds here. Now am torn between it and my 2000 Stingray 2EQ.

Of course i'd wanna keep both - but with life being what it is, one HAS to go. But which!?

The stingray does THAT sizzle thing... that punch and sparkle and bark.
The $$ can approximate that, but not quite as sizzly and agressive. However, it does all those single coil tapping, parallel/series, and additional blends going on... and man, that groowwwwlllll!

The fret arangement are so different too. The MMSR has the 22 fret, while the $$ has 24. The inserted steel reinforcements in the $$ make the action super low right up to the 24th without 'ski jumps'. The action on both and playability are super awesome.

At the moment i'm leaning toward the $$ as it'll be my only bass (i'm a guitarist) and versatility is cool. However, with the $$ I do end up fiddling with switches a touch too much :rolleyes: . The MMSR is 'set and forget'.

Another thing is that warwicks are everywhere on the 2nd hand market, whereas cheap 2EQ rays are a bit like hen's teeth, so if I decided to come back for another bass, i'd be better keeping the ray for now...

somebody give me some words of wisdom!

I'm assuming a double buck can do a decent stingray impression, can a stingray do a decent double buck impression?

Owned Warwick and music man basses, both wonderful instruments.

If you can hang on and see how they work out practically, in a band setting?

The advice about leaving them be for now, or for good, is great advice as tastes ,needs or even bonds and affinity with basses can sometimes change.

However, if you absolutely have to make a decision right away, then I'd draw from my own experience when I've been in this situation - I've always kept the one that I can do the most with. Take from that want you will! Good luck.

yeah, it's not a majorly urgent issue right now... why would you keep the $$ ?

I'll have to see after the honeymoon on this warwick wears off (if it does!). I'm astounded by the quality in this instrument.
I'm getting action just under 5/64ths or 2mm on the low e all the way up to the 24th fret with low buzz. The intonation is great, and there are now buzzes in dud frets.

Only thing I might change is a getting a brass nut to get away from the composite one in there now. Just for the h3ll of it.

Sounds to me like the Warwick is the keeper, sounds like you're more fond of it than the 'Ray. Given that the second hand values on Warwicks has been pretty low of late, you'd probably take a bigger financial hit selling that on than the 'Ray.

I just don't get why the resale on such awesome basses which cost so much new is so low, Warwicks seem to offer unbeatable value in the used market right now

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1433703197' post='2793261']

I just don't get why the resale on such awesome basses which cost so much new is so low, Warwicks seem to offer unbeatable value in the used market right now
[/quote]

^ this.

Crazy good value. I imagine these must have real terms value of over a grand (retail). Maybe more.
I guess that they are just seen as session basses, without the 'cool' factor of a J or P.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1433703086' post='2793258']
... why would you keep the $$ ?

[/quote]

I'd keep it because I've had a 2eq Stingray as an only bass myself, and while it was amazing it was not versatile enough for me. If it had been a HH 'ray it might have been a different story.
I've played a $$ Warwick and was very impressed. Very user friendly and comfy to play with loads of tone options.
I reckon you'd get more for the Stingray too which is handier if things are tight. When you're flush again later on, get another! ;)

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1433706235' post='2793298']
^ this.

I guess that they are just seen as session basses, without the 'cool' factor of a J or P.
[/quote]

I always find that weird. I know I'm in the minority but I find a P or a J really uninteresting (not considering the sounds of the instruments.). To me if I see a bassist play something that isn't a Fender P or J it feels quite refreshing!

thanks guys. I would have loved to put it away, but I need to get things moving i've decided.

I've listed the Stingray on gumtree! The Warwick is just giving me that growl I need... now i'm going to try a thumb and maybe a different type of corvette hopefully... :rolleyes:

Edited by goonieman