Why become a member? ×

How often do you change your strings?

Sarah5string

[quote name='kevbass' post='269851' date='Aug 25 2008, 10:41 PM']If you have two basses why not have one that you dont change the strings on and one bass that you do change them on, that way you have a bass to call upon if you want a mellow'd softer sound![/quote]

It's probably a bit late, but I've not changed the strings on my SUB5 in 3 years (and it's got a heavyassed set of rotosounds on, great for Motown) whereas my 'Ray I changed to EB Superslinkys about 6 months ago and they've just started to bed in nicely now.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='269949' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:41 AM']I use elixirs, so never :)[/quote]

ive been a very happy elixir user for about 5 years!! tried some on my NYC sadowsky.........did not like the tone at all!!

sounded dead!!

when compared with the sadowsky blue label steels the elixirs dont come anywhere near!! it was almost like having earplugs in when listening to my bass tone with them coated things on!! put the blue labels back on.........WOW!! AMAZING!!

so now i'll probably be changing my strings once every 3 weeks to a month but hey the sads are way, way cheaper than elixirs!

John Entwistle used to put a new set of strings on for his pre-gig warm-up, and then put another new set on for the gig! Bernard Edwards and James Jamerson never changed strings unless they broke! Ideally you should aim to be somewhere in between.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='269850' date='Aug 25 2008, 10:40 PM']As you may have gathered from the useless replies you have received so far - its up to you to decide when to change them.[/quote]

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='270032' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:50 AM']Thank you Simon Cowell. :)[/quote]
Well it is a bit like asking how often we change our pants - but I dont wear them that high :huh:

about once a season (every 3 months) but hopefully these status roundcore's will last about 6. after about 3 months, strings just sound horrible to me, but i think it may be to my ultra corrosive hands....where most people take a week to get the "zing" of off strings, i can do it in an hour :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='271338' date='Aug 27 2008, 09:27 PM']Since switching to Elixir Nanowebs about 2 years ago, once a year seems about right. I do find that they only start to sound good after about a month or two of regular playing wear though.

As with anything in music - go with your ears![/quote]

yep same here, and even when the coating starts to come off you have a good couple of months in them, like normal strings really. certainly worth the extra moola :)

As infrequently as possible. I don't like the new string sound but I've noticed that after a year or two, depending on the amount of playing, roundwound strings rapidly die by losing their sustain and getting rather boomy sounding. Having a bass with a very stiff neck, hard fingerboard and stainless steel frets means I don't need a fresh string to get a bright sound when I want one.

Alex