Why become a member? ×

Warwick or Ibanez?

Storky

At that end of the market I'd be looking at the Ibanez... At the other end I'd be looking at the Warwick.

Ibanez entry / mid level stuff has an excellent rep, Warwicks budget stuff not so much so...

Although you could pick up any of a number of excellent german Warwicks used on here for under your budget and that would be a cracking instrument... that's where my money would be going.

I'd recommend a used Warwick from one of the guys selling on here. At the lower end of the price range you get so much more for your money with a used W, they are very robust and you won;t loose any money if it doesn't work out , just sell it on. Do that with a £500 Ibanez and you can kiss goodbye to half your money straight away if its wrong for you.

IMHO if you're wanting a Streamer, then buy a Streamer. A good secondhand German built Streamer can be bought for £800 - 1000. I say save the money and get what you really want.

If you're wanting to take advantage of the distance selling rules - being able to try before you buy, find a BCer with a Streamer and go try one.

Ditto. 2nd hand german warwick from on here is your best bet. in comparison to what you'll pay new it'll blow it out of the water, don't overlook corvettes either standard or $$. plus if you get it from someone on here locally then you can try it 1st as opposed to getting it shipped from Germany.

If you insist on going with 1 of your stated options i'd go with an Ibanez as their low-mid range stuff is good bang for buck :)

I wouldn't be dropping £600 on a Rockbass (and I have one). Hold onto that cash and wait until a German Corvette comes up. Wonderful sounding instrument and would run rings round the Ibanez.

German streamer on here £330. I have even played that very bass whilst I bought a Corvette from same BCer (Dogz73 - no relation or hidden interest) Used Warwicks are bargain of the moment. There was also a German Corvette FS at £380 very sensible money, has now gone. A while back there was a gorgeous ash body German Corvette - £350? £375?

Edited by 3below

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. I like the idea of the Ibanez, but think you are right, they way to go is probably a 2nd hand German built Warwick, if only from a financial point of view. But Forgetting the financial aspect, I can't help wonder if a higher spec' model like the Ibanez 1200 with the Nordstand big single pups would give the a Warwick a run for the money?

I find Warwick necks a handfull. I've got several Ibanez' including a 25th anniversary sr and I love 'em all. Every time I pick up my Warwick it feels like hard work in comparison. You really need to try both IMHO. Oh and the Nordy big singles are amazzing! ;-)

When I was looking for a 5/6 string, it also came down to a choice of those two brands in the shop... new Ibanez or 2nd hand Germamn Warwick thumb. Ibanez was much lighter and the neck felt ridiculously easy to play, but the Warwick had a deep growly tone and more character... for me the right choice was the Warwick thumb :-)

Edited by roman_sub

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1433276113' post='2789756']
I can't help wonder if a higher spec' model like the Ibanez 1200 with the Nordstand big single pups would give the a Warwick a run for the money?
[/quote]
I own the SR1205 Premium with the Nordstrand big single pups and it really does have an excellent inherent tone (especially at gigging volume)...but I still prefer the tone of my Warwick. It shades it for me.

I'm not really a technical guy so would find it difficult to describe exactly why this is, but I just trust what makes my ears feel good.

Sound is very subjective at the end of the day!

[quote name='RJ87' timestamp='1433281294' post='2789812']
I find Warwick necks a handfull. I've got several Ibanez' including a 25th anniversary sr and I love 'em all. Every time I pick up my Warwick it feels like hard work in comparison. You really need to try both IMHO. Oh and the Nordy big singles are amazzing! ;-)
[/quote]

I have two German Corvettes and the necks are very different in profile: thin and slim, deep and chunky (a good handful :) ). One has a bubinga body, the other is ash and again they are very different to handle. Can't comment about tone differences due to body wood since one is fretless. Very sound advice about trying. Also have in my possession an Ibanez with 32" scale length, it is a great thing to play.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433358782' post='2790478']
This!!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257114-fsfd-warwick-streamer-std-in-blue-final-price-drop-l330/"]http://basschat.co.u...rice-drop-l330/[/url]
[/quote]

I have played that very bass - lightweight and outstanding value at that price.