Why become a member? ×

Do you compromise "your sound" for a decent mix with band?

Iheartreverb

If there are going to be bits where the bass is right up front, or even soloing, then a mid cut combined with volume boost (you could do this with an EQ pedal) would be good to turn on for these sections, then go back to the more middy sound to gel with the rest of the band.

Thanks for all responses guys. To set the record straight, I don't have a massive ego and I am a fairly introvert and very easy going person. Just generally my concern was that there was some parts where the bass is the only instrument heard (or lead) and although I know need a sound that works well in the mix I think at these times I wouldn't like the sound in its own. I suppose using EQ presets on the sansamp would be the trick. I have practiced maybe 4 times since posting and have adjusted my EQ each time to sit better. It was never a situation of compromise but I wouldn't feel fully comfortable with a sound I hate.
Thanks again guys and sorry this has some of you fairly riled up!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1432629176' post='2783294']
Actually, the OP plays with bass almost completely off but still has a bass heavy sound?
[/quote]

I read it as tone completely off, e.g like on a P-Bass where it actually gives you a mid-bass boost, e.g more thumpy and bassy with very little treble. I also do this a lot, but I play in a rock/blues band where it works well, but I roll it back up and use a pick for poppy stuff which demands more attack.

I wouldn't say I compromise "my sound" for a band mix but I do change it slightly in order for it to cut through. In sections where I'm the only one playing I do find sometimes it sounds a bit naff but generally after a while of playing the same part I can change the sound by changing where/how my right hand attacks the strings.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1432241743' post='2779713']
fiest off, I know this seems odd in the effects forum but this is pedal related.
In short I like my bass tone nearly/or all the way off. So quote bass heavy (or treble lacking). It just sounds really nice to me. The next piece of the puzzle is that I'm going into a programmable sansamp (which is famously mid lacking) and in short, my band mates hate it.
Firstly they don't understand what it does or the need to have.

So my question is probably two things,

Do you compromise your tone for something that mix's well? (It's worth adding we are an instrumental rock band and there are times where the bass parts might be the focus so my solo sound is also important)

I'm using the sansamp because I don't like the massive EQ shift when using a drive so this allows me to blend these really well while changing the gain levels and output a bit.
I also think it will be mega useful down the line for live.

I just think like the they don't like my eq with both bass and sansamp (used 100% wet) with extreme time cuts p.

Any/ all advice appreciated
Cheers!
[/quote]

I don't understand the concept of a strict "my sound".
My sound is... whatever seems to mix well with the band. If the blend doesn't sound good, then there's no point.

Of course, maybe you and your bandbates have different ideas of what a good blended sound is. That can be a problem, much like when you want to play funk and your bandmates want to play black metal... You all have to have a relatively similar idea of what sounds good.
I don't normally tell my guitarists anything about "their sound" because they automatically choose something that sounds good in the context of the band.

So, I think rather than thinking in terms of "my band doesn't like my sound", maybe what you have is a situation where you guys want a different kind of *band* sound...
You should find out, because that can be a deal breaker.

Next rehearsal take one song where you lock in and try a couple of takes with different sounds (have maybe 3 or four different eq settings and write them down) - try another song with those same various settings record it all on you phone if you can (or all of you can) listen back with headphones and sus out what it is you're liking or disliking about the sounds as a band and specifically as the bassist - have the others do this too.

An important part of being in a band is having a sound -collectively- knowing where you'll fit in the mix. At least one or two rehearsals should be spent working on that if you're kinda into sounding as good as you can.

I'm sure the OP has an idea of what he likes but that kinda has to balance with the other instrumentation.

Example
In my covers band the singer/guitarist who claims to be have been a soundman for years thinks turn up the bass is what a bass needs in a mix but totally neglects the mids - what they mean to a mix, how they impact on the tone of the band or how cutting frequencies in this reigion can mitigate feedback and let all instruments be heard and have thier own space to breath in a mix. He only recently realised the desk he uses has a sweepable mid channel and a volume for that channel and couldnt figure out why the fiddle kept suffereing from feedback! To be fair he's a bit of a chump :)

Bottom line is use rehearsal time to experiment - its a known thing that P basses sit well in a mix because of their mid's as much as their bass....or join a dub band

Good Luck sir!

Edited by krispn

Your sound is much more your note choice, time feel and phrasing than it is timbre or eq.

Getting the timbre right for the mix is not a compromise its a requirement in order to make the music sound its best

Failure to do so is doing the band a disservice

Don't do that and expect to stay in the band for long....

I wouldn't sacrifice my sound for the band as I don't think I'd have to.
We've done all that at the start so I know how we'll all fit together.

Not saying I wouldn't tweak it...as would anyone else in the band have to
consider it, but 'sacrifice'..?? no.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1432807722' post='2785109']
Thanks for all responses guys... [snip] and sorry this has some of you fairly riled up!
[/quote]

Don't worry about it. 'Riled' is a resting position for many BC-ers and the simple phrase '[i]my sound[/i]' is guaranteed to set some of them off alarming.

Though not as much as '[i]dialling in my signature tone[/i]'.

The mix and the whole band context is more important than the individual instruments (sounds).

Many times you hear isolated tracks and the bass sounds either distorted, or with a lot of midrange, or very bassy... but when heard within the mix it just sounds amazing and fits perfectly.

I come form a Sound Engineering background and I always tailor my sound for the gig I am doing (basses, amps, fx, playing style...)

Edited by Byo