Why become a member? ×

Dr Neon strings

I replied to thread from last year but can’t find it, so apologies for repeating myself here. Having rummaged around Ebay I like the look of the blue ones, but just want to find out if they [i]only [/i]look visually striking under UV. We just use standard LED rigs – no point in getting the neons if they’ll look pretty much like ordinary strings albeit with a slight blue tint.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1430915684' post='2765860']
The colour wears off after about ten minutes playing.
[/quote]

I had a set of the Orange ones on a GB Spitfire for quite a while without the colour coming off...I don't use a plectrum which might be a factor.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1430915684' post='2765860']
The colour wears off after about ten minutes playing.
[/quote]
the green set I had lasted a couple of months before you could actually notice any coating coming off. I play with fingers and a plectrum.

Ok. maybe 10 minutes was a slight exaggeration but certainly within a week or so - couple of gigs and a rehearsal - they were going bald in the plucking area - fingers only - and showing signs of deterioration in the popular 5th - 9th fret areas on the neck. Pinks and yellows. I wasn't too impressed with the feel at the time anyway so I've gone back to Black beauties for fretted and Chromes for fretless.

Never apologise for posting! I have never seen this subject posted before and am interested in hearing people's views on the subject. There are always new members joining and I would never say I'm sick of a subject because no one can be expected to trawl through every post just in case they bore some seasoned poster who is sick of hearing about it!

I've never tried neons, but have been slightly under impressed with coated strings like Elixirs. Funnily enough, the Elixir guitar strings are incredible and stay bright for such a long time. I just found the bass strings don't have the zing you get from new rounds.

I'm sort of torn now. If all goes well with t'courier service, I should very shortly be the proud and loving new owner of a Dalectro Longhorn which has a white body with a pale blue edging... which suggests the blue lumies might be a particularly fetching addition. Might turn out that I take 2 basses to this gig, which will be a first.