Why become a member? ×

Seriously considering selling lots of things

Merton

:)

Just coz:

i) I want a Streamline 5
ii) I don't really need 2 rigs at all
iii) see i) and ii)

So was thinking the 8x8 V-Type rig could go.
The Groove 5 could go.
Hell, even the Groove fretless could go, it barely gets played.

It's basically disguising GAS as GSS (Gear Selling Syndrome anyone?)

Anyone else suffering form this or am I feverish?

Hi mert,

I know the feeling. It is quite exciting because it means that you have probably found 'the one' and might also have some money to spend on other things for a change. Go with it. I recently sold everything and cut back to what I realised were the important parts of my setup. I have never been happier and whenever I gas for something now I can easily shrug it off, because I can think I have been there, done that. No amount of money can find you 'the one', because 'the one' may take any form or any price bracket. It is a matter of time and patience. When you feel like you do now, you can probably say that you have landed!

Oh, but you want a Streamline 5.

Bugger

My Shuker EUB has been part of an ongoing 'rationalisation' for some time now, and I think my Lakland will join it soon when my new Jazz arrives.

Here's to helping unused gear get the use it deserves by other people

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='BassManKev' post='267756' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:08 PM']how much are you selling the groove 5 for.... :huh:

perfectly fair enough mate, we all have GAS! although u sure u wanna sell the 8x8 rig? man id love to hear my bass through that[/quote]
Nik has first dibs on the Groove I'm afraid (has done for years!! :huh:)

I'm hoping to bring the 8x8 to the SE Bash so if you make it you can hear it. And no, I'm not sure I want to sell it but the number of gigs I've got for the next year is so small having 2 rigs is an utterly pointless luxury :)

neepheid - glad I'm not the only one :huh:

[quote name='ped' post='267757' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:09 PM']Oh, but you want a Streamline 5.

Bugger[/quote]

:huh:

My Retroactive into the Trace 1x15 combo is the one. Except when it's going into the 4x8, then it's the one there instead. :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='267758' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:10 PM']Here's to helping unused gear get the use it deserves by other people

Si[/quote]

I'll poss drink to that soonly!

In an attempt to rationalise things, had a big clear out earlier this year. Sold a whole bunch of Warwicks that I had taken nigh on 20 years to collect and refine to the best of the best. I also bought and sold a ton of amps and cabs before settling on what I have now.

6mths later and I've almost managed to get back up to as many basses as I had before I sold up (but at least the amp/cab GAS has subsided) :)

Go on, sell sell sell! Then in 6mths time... :huh: buy buy buy

You'll never cure GAS if you keep coming on here anyway!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='267764' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:17 PM']You'll never cure GAS if you keep coming on here anyway![/quote]
Nail -> head

:)

I think I may try to follow your example but I fear in these "uncertain" economic climes I may have done it 6 months too late!

[quote name='Merton' post='267767' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:19 PM']I think I may try to follow your example but I fear in these "uncertain" economic climes I may have done it 6 months too late![/quote]
Hopefully the good folks of basschat will gather around and help you out? :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='267818' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:18 PM']Hopefully the good folks of basschat will gather around and help you out? :)[/quote]
Aye, if anyone wnats to buy anything of mine except the Retroactive and Trace 1x15 combo then gimme a shout, haha!!

Just spoken to Dawn @ Status, looks like my wallet will take a massive hit soonly... :huh:

I think we go through stages... I had a buying phase recently & traded all sorts in against the two Fenders - Which I didn't really need, but I was caught in the bug of the American Standards, etc. As soon as my new Status S2 5-er came up, rationalisation started to occur. Thinking: I'm not going to gig these two, nice though they are, so a different style of Status will get used & it'll earn it's keep! Simple :)

If I were in your position, I'd part with one rig & one groove. Keep the one that's most practical. Then you've got money/room towards the Streamliner!

But if you ever sell your Retroactive, I'm afraid Nick & I will have to come round and kill you! :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='267764' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:17 PM']In an attempt to rationalise things, had a big clear out earlier this year. Sold a whole bunch of Warwicks that I had taken nigh on 20 years to collect and refine to the best of the best. I also bought and sold a ton of amps and cabs before settling on what I have now.

6mths later and I've almost managed to get back up to as many basses as I had before I sold up (but at least the amp/cab GAS has subsided) :)

Go on, sell sell sell! Then in 6mths time... :huh: buy buy buy

You'll never cure GAS if you keep coming on here anyway![/quote]

did you ever find your natural Streamer stage 1?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='268234' date='Aug 23 2008, 12:02 AM']But if you ever sell your Retroactive, I'm afraid Nick & I will have to come round and kill you! :huh:[/quote]

That is going NOWHERE :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='268238' date='Aug 23 2008, 12:06 AM']A [i]Streamline[/i]? Really - have you lost it? :huh:

Don't you mean a Stealth?[/quote]

I'd love a Stealth too, later on :huh:

In fact, I have been categorically told by the guitarist in one of my bands that I will be sacked if I ever appear at a gig with a Streamline. Bring it on!!

Having read this thread and had a good, rational look at the status of my musical menagerie, I have come to the conclusion that I have a ridiculous amount of gear just sitting there, looking pretty, but realistically it's never going to get used. I use stingray -> phil jones (a bass buddy, not phil himself!) -> power amp -> BFM omni 10.5 70% of the time, and a Squier P-Special un-amped 30% of the time because it doesn't have a case and handily lies around all over the place so I can pick it up and play anytime without getting stuff out of cases etc. The gear which is superflous (and I've actually sold a few others recently) includes:

Hohner B2A Pro, in red, in a leather gig bag I made for it
SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB300, a proper one, in matt purple (never seen another in the same colour), in mint condition
Hohner RP200 Pro les paul copy guitar, in orange/red sunburst
Fender Stratocaster, matt purple, maple fretboard, black pickguard
Cheapo Chinese acoustic guitar no.2 (no.1 sold last week), in black/blue burst
BFM Omni 10 - loaded with Eminence deltalite II 2510 drivers and 4 piezo array (just the little cab is more than enough for me!
Kustom (from argos!) 40watt guitar amp
Rode fishpole boom
and now, sadly, 2 x Rode NT2000

It's occurred to me that if I got rid of some of this, not only would I have a huge amount of space in my house, but I could actually afford a really nice 5-string like I've promising myself for ages, and a sub to go with the omni 10.5 so I can have a bi-amped rig using the spare half of the power amp. That'd leave me with a stingray and 5er -> phil jones -> 2 way active crossover -> amp -> BFM omni 10.5
-> Some kind of horn sub, probably a BFM

That setup would make me very happy, so why am I clinging on to a load of gear that never gets used (some of them haven't seen the light of day for 5 years!) Upon looking at it, this might turn into a feeler later on tonight... give a bass/cab/accessory a good home anybody?

J (now the musical equivalent of a bag-lady)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='268240' date='Aug 23 2008, 12:08 AM']did you ever find your natural Streamer stage 1?[/quote]

I got a natural Stage I fretless :) My GAS for a Stage I fretted natural was assuaged by my getting back a red Stage I bass that I owned over 15 years ago... it isn't any better than bluey, I just got it back for nostalgia's sake!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='268575' date='Aug 23 2008, 07:22 PM']Merton does all this mean theres going to be a V-Type Cab knocking about shortly...

Frick.[/quote]
(EDIT - [i]Probably[/i]) yes. Sorry!

But at last night's gig the 8x8 rig sounded sooooooooooooo good. Aargh, I must sell. I must. Probably. First call to ste on the 4x8 cab then? :)

Edited by Merton