Why become a member? ×

Epifani Cabinets now being assembled in China

sixshooter

[quote name='The Funk' post='267100' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:34 PM']From the basschat homepage it looks like the title of this thread is:

[u][b]Epifani Cabinets now being ass...[/b][/u]

Classic.[/quote]

Sorry for making an Ass of the title, I am sure the Chineese are just as good at glueing as the Americans, maybe just faster! :)

I have no reason NOT to beleive this but at the same time I'd be very surprised - sorry to er, name drop, but when I visited the Epifani work shop last year the stock room was piled high with hundreds of cabinets waiting to be shipped - not sure why they would suddenly need to stop producing them on the premises - I know they are popular - but not [i]that[/i] popular...they aren't exactly Ampeg. Love their stuff tho - my 502 UL head is just awesome.

M

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='267492' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:21 AM']So they ship the parts from the US to China, they're then built up and finished etc, then sent back again to the US or to wherever they're going to be sold.

Surely by the time they've done all the shipping back and forth they'll end up costing more to produce.[/quote]
I imagine they'll have done the maths on that. :)

Um, is all this speculation based on sound fact?

I'd really like to know who told you this and why Epifani would bother to do it - when the cost of overall production (and all that shipping) wouldn't really be affected - Nick (who I have met on several occasions) strikes me as someone who cares deeply about the quality of what he's doing and less about the 'selling boxes' attitude of some of the big amp companies out there.

If it is fine - I'm sure he has his reasons - I just get concerned about us all sitting here specualting on 'what it all means' when none of us actually know the facts of the thing.

Just my 0.02 pence on the subject.

M

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='267492' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:21 AM']....Surely by the time they've done all the shipping back and forth they'll end up costing more to produce....[/quote]
The difference is the cost of someone in the US getting paid £1500 a month against someone in China getting £100 a month. You can ship these cabs anywhere, twice, and still make loadsa money. That's why they are ALL doing it!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='267502' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:44 AM']The difference is the cost of someone in the US getting paid £1500 a month against someone in China getting £100 a month. You can ship these cabs anywhere, twice, and still make loadsa money. That's why they are ALL doing it!![/quote]

Cool - yeah I understand - and I know the rents in Brooklyn are going through the roof - it's like Primrose Hill in London - once a dive, now cool as hell.

I suppose it's also a sign of success too - or staying afloat... which we are all trying to do today!

M

Im pretty sure, going by the state my UL212 arrived in that being made in China wont have any negative effects.

I seem to recall a thread over on TB, ages ago about this as well. i think they said it was the PS series and the new range that i dont think is out yet.
Could be wrong of course and im just repeating what i read.

Edited by dave_bass5