Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Stingrays 4 and a 5!

MarkG3

Just spotted these!

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_4_sb_deluxe_series.htm?ref=mm_a_33

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sb_deluxe_series.htm?ref=mm_a_38

If they are anything like the T-bird they will be great! Says currently unavailable though.....

Why is it all stingray copies and sterling subs have the odd Bridge. Are the smaller bridges super hard to aquire? The retrovibe basses have it and some Chinese aliexpress basses, although the one I saw was on a chickenbacker, not a ray copy. So confused.

Edited by Mattmit

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1429778272' post='2754758'] Why is it all stingray copies and sterling subs have the odd Bridge. Are the smaller bridges super hard to aquire? The retrovibe basses have it and some Chinese aliexpress basses, although the one I saw was on a chickenbacker, not a ray copy. So confused. [/quote]

They appear to be 'copies' of the original Stingray bridge that had the mutes and was phased out around 1996. However they just have a massive gap between the saddles and end of the bridge and look awful. It'd probably be possible to saw it shorter if you could clean it up well and somehow touch up the missing chrome.

There must be one maker of these bridges that supply cheapo bass makers worldwide and if so, I bet Sterling SUBs use them too. It's the main thing that puts me off any Stingray copies.

The big bridges do look a bit weird. I'd be inclined to stick one of these on the five string version: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Bridge-5-String-Chrome-With-Mounting-Pegs-Screws-allen-key-/281265741124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item417cbe9d44"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Bridge-5-String-Chrome-With-Mounting-Pegs-Screws-allen-key-/281265741124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item417cbe9d44[/url]

These are also available as active models. MM-84A and MM-85A, £126 and £139.

There were also another 2 Deluxe basses added today a Rosewood veneer PJ and a Rosewood veneer JB.

Neither have a stock date yet and are priced around £140.

Oh both have Basswood bodies under the veneer.

alittlebitrobot

It's just a reflection of manufacturing costs in China. Thomann buy direct from Saein and use a small mark up/high sales business model,
so no middle man,others buy direct but use a higher mark up/high sales model then the distributor adds their mark up then the vendor.

It all adds up but Thomann are both distributor and vendor so those costs are saved.

Win win situation.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1430117987' post='2758000']
I asked when they will come in stock and had this:

Hello Mark,

they're ordered, delivery time should be in the beginning of august !
[/quote] :angry2:

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1429890929' post='2756098']
alittlebitrobot

It's just a reflection of manufacturing costs in China. Thomann buy direct from Saein and use a small mark up/high sales business model,
so no middle man,others buy direct but use a higher mark up/high sales model then the distributor adds their mark up then the vendor.

It all adds up but Thomann are both distributor and vendor so those costs are saved.

Win win situation.
[/quote]

How do they get their wood so cheap? I heard a Gibson employee claim that the cost to Fender of basic Squier strats was £20. (He didn't say how much Epiphones were, but implied they were higher quality). Certainly when we have instruments sold for £80 or so, the factory will be getting a fraction of that. Cheap labour is one thing, but isn't there a global market for materials?

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1429783216' post='2754838']
They appear to be 'copies' of the original Stingray bridge that had the mutes and was phased out around 1996. However they just have a massive gap between the saddles and end of the bridge and look awful. It'd probably be possible to saw it shorter if you could clean it up well and somehow touch up the missing chrome.

There must be one maker of these bridges that supply cheapo bass makers worldwide and if so, I bet Sterling SUBs use them too. It's the main thing that puts me off any Stingray copies.
[/quote]

I am just about to order some shorty Stingray-type bridges. They should be here in a couple of weeks.

[email protected]

[quote name='Bassbadger' timestamp='1430384734' post='2760810']
I am just about to order some shorty Stingray-type bridges. They should be here in a couple of weeks.

[email protected]
[/quote]

Sorry to hijack the thread but Dave I have a quick question, Why you never had 5ers in your builts? I was lusting for one of those Stringray thingies you make but none were 5 strings which was a bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...