Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB Volo - 33" E-C tuning

Byo

Hi y'all,

I saw a post here regarding the '15 NAMM and Ibanez's new BTB Volo bass, which is their own take on the 33" Fodera thingy strung E-C.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_products/2014/workshop/volo.html

Has anybody been able to try one out yet? Any prices?

I am not into the BTB shape, the horns a too big for my taste but the 33" makes it look a little better than the normal 35" BTB's that are around.
And to be honest, it may be the cheapeast 33" E-C bass around.

Ibanez has been trying out some cool stuff over the past years at very decent prices (Fretted/Fretless hybrid, Fanned Frets, Kaoss SR bass...).

Cheers!

Byron.

Love the idea, like BTB basses in general, but like you I find the BTB horns a big turn-off. If there were a 33" E-C bass that had a more conventional appearance I'd definitely be interested in it. Having said that, I've not yet gone out of my way to find one...

I think if they'd made a 33" SR bass they'd have been on to a winner here.
Folks tend to look to the Soundgear range as a nice full scale yet compact solution, so a 33" would've been real nice and the shorter scale would've balanced well with the shape.

I had GAS for one of these for a while. One day I tried stringing one of my current 5 string basses E-C. Sounds great and the only adjustment I needed to do was intonation. Now all my 5-string basses are E-C and I have crossed this one off the GAS list.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1429731426' post='2754447']
Prices coming in at about £680 although not seen one in the flesh yet. Seems to be a pre-order item in most UK outlets currently.
[/quote]

680 quid is not bad, but I wish they had gone for the Nordstrand pups instead of the Bartolini ones in this model.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1429709268' post='2754156']
I think if they'd made a 33" SR bass they'd have been on to a winner here.
Folks tend to look to the Soundgear range as a nice full scale yet compact solution, so a 33" would've been real nice and the shorter scale would've balanced well with the shape.
[/quote]
100% with you mate. The SR would have been a killer bass in a 33" E-C!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't thing anyone is questioning how it sounds, I agree that it actually sounds pretty decent,from that video and their official one, but I think the shape and size of it misses the mark.
With regards to the pickups, anchoring your thumb on them to play the E string would suck.

Si

Agree with you Si.

Both shape and pups are just wrong... Maybe with a SR body and some traditional looking pups (i.e. 5 string jazz bass singles size) they would have nailed it.

Better luck next time Ibanez...

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1431568150' post='2772706']
Agree with you Si.

Both shape and pups are just wrong... Maybe with a SR body and some traditional looking pups (i.e. 5 string jazz bass singles size) they would have nailed it.

Better luck next time Ibanez...
[/quote]

Yup, the general consensus, here and on Talkbass is that they've missed the mark a little on this one.
You never know, they might give it another go based on feedback.

I do think there's a market for the spec (I would I guess ;) ), and I think that if someone will do it well and this price range it's Ibanez......but it's difficult to see how this particular model got through a bassist focus group?! lol
Oh well, onwards and upwards for them

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Some blithering buffoon rambling on about one here:

http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-33/edition-videos/dv_ibanez_btb33_volo_bass_reviewmp4/

I bought an SR605 and restrung it E-C. Didn't need to change the but and it plays really nice. I wouldn't spend the best part of £700 on something like this. They should've done the SR1400 (thru neck model) with a 33" scale and the Nordstrand Big Singles. Would have been KILLER and less than £1000. Missed opportunity with this I think...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1432746370' post='2784576']
Some blithering buffoon rambling on about one here:

[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-33/edition-videos/dv_ibanez_btb33_volo_bass_reviewmp4/"]http://www.iguitarma...bass_reviewmp4/[/url]
[/quote]

Great review as always Dan, and may I say, what beautiful playing too!

[quote]
Me too
[/quote]

Potentially but it might take some nut & neck adjustment, set-up and experimentation with string gauges to get that low 'B' intonated and ringing properly. Getting a good low 'B' is a challenge on a 34" scale bass let alone 33".