Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB Volo - 33" E-C tuning

Byo

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1433270492' post='2789665']
Potentially but it might take some nut & neck adjustment, set-up and experimentation with string gauges to get that low 'B' intonated and ringing properly. Getting a good low 'B' is a challenge on a 34" scale bass let alone 33".
[/quote]

Oh I'm not sure about that, I've played a few 33" basses that have great B strings, mostly ACGs to be fair.
I imagine the restricting factor may be the frets, if they're as small as my MGS (which the Volo is modelled on to a degree), then having anything thicker than a .125 B string would probably just choke out.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433272374' post='2789705']
Oh I'm not sure about that, I've played a few 33" basses that have great B strings, mostly ACGs to be fair.
I imagine the restricting factor may be the frets, if they're as small as my MGS (which the Volo is modelled on to a degree), then having anything thicker than a .125 B string would probably just choke out.

Si
[/quote]

Agreed although in a MGS you're citing one of the most expensive basses in the world so your examples are a little rarefied. I saw the MGS connection too and it would be great for someone to do an A/B comparison...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1433311557' post='2789879']

Agreed although in a MGS you're citing one of the most expensive basses in the world so your examples are a little rarefied. I saw the MGS connection too and it would be great for someone to do an A/B comparison...
[/quote]

Well if someone buys a Volo, let me know and we can try and sort something out :).
The 33" B examples were ACG basses, probably circa £1500 new.

Si

I have to echo Si's comments.
I've played nothing but 33" scale basses for years now, almost all of them with a low B and they have been miles better than any mass produced basses with low Bs I've ever played.
The scale length has a lot to do with how well a B string speaks however, a well built, properly set up instrument and string choice contribute massively too.
Also, as Si says, you don't need to buy a Fodera, I've had Shuker basses and now play ACG exclusively, all 33" and I've never looked back.
ACG's start at £1100 for a Standard Series 33" 5er.

As far as the Ibanez goes, the hardware all looks good, so assuming the neck is nice and stiff and you cut the nut well, I'm sure it'd be lovely tuned B to G.

Eude

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thomann has the "Volo" in stock for just over £600.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb33_ntf.htm

I would go for it if it had a SR or even an ATK body, but I just do not like the BTB shape at all...

If they did a fretless version I would buy it instantly. Don;t mind the body shape, sounds good, put an ebony fingerboard on it.

does anybody know how much it would cost to strip the fretboard and replae it with ebony? probably not worth the effort!!

• 1 month later...

Haven't read all the thread yet. I like the idea, but think the bass itself is ugly . Maybe a wine colour would be better? A different shape also.
Then again, i think if status made this instead ( headless)'they would've nailed it .oh, and those pickups .. Ugh
Only IMHO ;)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Ray - thanks for your response but we're beyond aesthetics now... It is what it is... me wanna try with a view to buy...

Please tell me where you've seen one on UK soil...

Edited by visog

• 1 month later...

Right so I finally get try one care of Andertons in Guilford. They Set me up in their 'Bass room' with the BTB33 into a nice Markbass combo and left me to it. It's a really cool bass: through-neck, barts, 3-band EQ, mono-rail bridge. However, after playing for a while I realised that I wasn't getting much more than a standard 5. So yes it's up a forth which is OK if that suits your music but other than that, it's the same number of notes as any other 5-string 24-fret give or take (it has a weird s-shaped neck end). Also the 33" scale was pretty much undetectable in comparison with my GB 35" scale. Similar position and string tension. (In contrast, an Alembic SC with 31" scale reduced the strings to floppy butter making everyone Stanley (almost) with sheer effortless of playing.)

So my verdict was not to buy, but for someone without a 5, or entering the market for a 5, it's a hell of a bass for the money...

• 2 months later...