Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)

alexclaber

What about this: A 3-way cab, 2 (let's say 12") drivers and a tweeter. Bottom driver low-passed and designed as a sub-woofer. The top part angled to get to our ears with mids going in to the driver and highs in the tweeter, designed as a full-range cab. The cab would be divided internally to separate the sub-woofer from the "top". Something like this:
[attachment=195904:Drawing2-Model.jpg]

It would need a more complicated x-over but we're talking Behemoth here, aren't we?

Soundwise, it would sound like a PA but in a single box (with wheels), nice full-range sound with extended low-end. What do you think Alex?

So like a Big Twin 2 but quieter and more complicated? ;)

Seriously though, if I could make a single driver that would do really clean full-range sound with tons of output, great dispersion, great transient response, then we wouldn't even make 2-way cabs. We made 3-way cabs in the past because we couldn't get a driver that could go high enough whilst going low enough.

Actually it looks like the new cab will be 2.5-way!

The big cab id like to see would be a vertical 4 x 10, same height as the ampeg fridge but with less width - are eight speakers really necessary these days? The idea is to make a big stage cab, with less weight and a little less bulk that retains the height (and ability to be heard) while improving dispersal. perhaps with four 10" speakers in a box with around 3/4 or 2/3 the volume (area not loudness) it could remain sealed while having improved bass response.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1436376670' post='2817695']
So like a Big Twin 2 but quieter and more complicated? ;)

Seriously though, if I could make a single driver that would do really clean full-range sound with tons of output, great dispersion, great transient response, then we wouldn't even make 2-way cabs. We made 3-way cabs in the past because we couldn't get a driver that could go high enough whilst going low enough.

Actually it looks like the new cab will be 2.5-way!
[/quote]

I'm talking about having a real "PA-like" subwoofer there, not a bass cab that goes lower than the competition. ;)

I'd love to see a 1 speaker version of the dubster, be great on its own for anyone playing reggae in small clubs and an amazing pairing with a big baby 2 for peeps who want a modular solution for bigger gigs and don't need the tweeter in both cabs. Im thinking it could be a slightly bigger, more square cab to give more bottom and perfectly fit a big baby 2 on it's side!

The "Behemoth" of 1 speaker cabs.

Simon

Edited by SimonLevee

[b] [size=5][b]Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)[/b][/size][/b]

Does it have to be big?

I had another idea when talking with my keyboard player, he also plays in a dixie band and takes his keboard with him when they go out busking (complicated system to atach it to his body). His main problem is amplification, mainly the low-end reproduction on the existing busking amps.

So why don't you take your new amp design for the active cabs, add your knowledge in light-weigh cab building and create the ultimate busking amp? Ultra light, great sound, nice lows, big output (loud as F**K!). Just have to think about the battery ;)

Is there a niche for this?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1437058120' post='2823265']
[b] [size=5][b]Barefaced Behemoth? Suggest a big crazy cab for us to add to the range! (And tell us why we should...)[/b][/size][/b]

Does it have to be big?

I had another idea when talking with my keyboard player, he also plays in a dixie band and takes his keboard with him when they go out busking (complicated system to atach it to his body). His main problem is amplification, mainly the low-end reproduction on the existing busking amps.

So why don't you take your new amp design for the active cabs, add your knowledge in light-weigh cab building and create the ultimate busking amp? Ultra light, great sound, nice lows, big output (loud as F**K!). Just have to think about the battery ;)

Is there a niche for this?
[/quote]

oooh, a busking amp... I'd like that!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1437074430' post='2823434']
We'd love to make a great busking amp but very few buskers seem willing to pay what something like that would cost to build let alone allow us to turn some kind of profit!

Maybe something for a Kickstarter? :)
[/quote]

True, your typical busker doesn't invest a lot of £££ in their equipment :(

I use a QTX QR10PA thingy (marketed as a mini PA) because it's small, light, runs on a built-in battery, more than loud enough... and it just works. But I'd love to have something that also has a great sound ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1437075743' post='2823452']
True, your typical busker doesn't invest a lot of £££ in their equipment :(
[/quote]

Quite a few of the professional buskers who descend on Edinburgh for the Fringe use AER combos which are not cheap, so buskers willing to spend on gear do exist. Although I guess there may not be enough of them to make it a viable market.

The niche i'm talking about are not only busking, i'm talking about dixie bands that walk through the street while playing. Over here in PT you see a lot of this. The grat majority does this on city hall organized and (very well) payed events so they have the money for this.

There's nothing on the market that you can strap on your body, like a backpack, and use as a personal monitor for this kind of gigs. From head i'm thinking that keyboard, guitar, mandolim, banjo, vocals, etc. will be very interested in this kind of solution. The horns overwhelm everithing on those bands.

I'm thinking about a 1x8 in a compact box will do the trick. My idea strated because my KB player uses a RCF ART 708a as key monitor and the volume and lows it pumps out are incredible for it's size and weight. He told me if only it had a battery it would be the perfect busking amp. I'm sure that Alex can come up with something even lighter and louder ;)

BTW. aren't we talking about a Behemoth design? Something new and unique? The marketing is another story... "If you build it they will come..." :D

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1437383934' post='2825390']
We definitely have to knock a load of these ideas up in photoshop - I can't help but think of your suggestion as being like a Big Twin 2 but with a megaphone bolted to each side and a big toggle switch labelled "drummer toasting direction" on top! ;)
[/quote]

Perfect! How about a comedy boxing glove on robot arm too?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1437383934' post='2825390']
We definitely have to knock a load of these ideas up in photoshop - I can't help but think of your suggestion as being like a Big Twin 2 but with a megaphone bolted to each side and a big toggle switch labelled "drummer toasting direction" on top! ;)
[/quote]

What about something like this

but with a swivelling top part that can be aimed at a drummer? Something like this: