Why become a member? ×

A simple, great piece of advice.

Mike

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a piece of advice I got ages ago that is quite simple but no less useful.

[i]When playing live, imagine you're recording in the studio, tape rolling. [/i]

[i]When recording in the studio, imagine you're playing live.[/i]

This has helped me play with more precision on gigs, and be less sloppy. It also helps with relaxing when recording and avoiding 'red-light' syndrome.

I was rehearsing last night with an Elton John tribute that I'm about go out with and realised (again) that if you imagine what you're playing live is being recorded for some album, you really take a bit of extra care in playing with clarity and precision.

Good advice!

Though obviously don't let your imagination get the better of you in either situation - nobody wants to see you stop mid-riff at a gig with a "can I do that bit again?" or see you sloshing beer down the front of the amps in the studio!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1429608592' post='2753032']
Though obviously don't let your imagination get the better of you in either situation - nobody wants to see you stop mid-riff at a gig with a "can I do that bit again?" or see you sloshing beer down the front of the amps in the studio!
[/quote]

I'm not sure the audience want to see me play for three minutes and then spend two hours editing it in Pro Tools... :P

Edited by ras52

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1429605913' post='2753006']
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a piece of advice I got ages ago that is quite simple but no less useful.

[i]When playing live, imagine you're recording in the studio, tape rolling. [/i]

This has helped me play with more precision on gigs, and be less sloppy. It also helps with relaxing when recording and avoiding 'red-light' syndrome.

I was rehearsing last night with an Elton John tribute that I'm about go out with and realised (again) that if you imagine what you're playing live is being recorded for some album, you really take a bit of extra care in playing with clarity and precision.

Good advice!
[/quote]is it the Elton tribute with Nigel on drums Mike?

Another way to avoid red-light syndrome is to record everything - rehearsals, writing sessions, gigs, everything the band does when it is together. This way you get totally used to it and there's no problem when the metaphorical (or actual) red light goes on in the studio.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1429605913' post='2753006']
Hi all,

Good advice!
[/quote]

Yep like that a lot and makes a lot of sense
Dave

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1429610852' post='2753074']
I'm not sure the audience want to see me play for three minutes and then spend two hours editing it in Pro Tools... :P
[/quote]

I don't think anyone in a studio would want to see me jumping up and down, punching the air and shouting 'f#ck yeah!'

i like it
our last studio session we specifically wanted to record it like we were playing live, not just one peice at a time
we recorded the 5 songs one after the other all together, then re-recorded each part back over it to maintain the pace and feel, much better than playing to a click track

although when we do play live i hardly move, something i really need to get out of