Why become a member? ×

Who has the blackest bass?

Annoying Twit

Anyone have a 'Disaster Area' bass? I've recently bought some nylon coated strings to try out, which are bllack. I've also been reading a thread on a DIY Bass Kit. I was wondering how black you could get a bass. Fretless ebony board. Black finish (including the neck), Black hardware. Black nut. Nylon black strings and a black 1-ply pick guard.

Has anyone done this? Who on basschat has the blackest bass?

EDIT: I found this on talkbass. IMHO this looks damn good. I'll even forgive the non-black strings.

I couldn't inline the image here, this is a copy uploaded to my own tiny pic account. [url=http://www.talkbass.com/threads/can-anybody-show-me-a-black-bass.412076/]here is the talk bass thread, though IMHO this is the best bass on that thread[/url].

Edited by Annoying Twit

Painting in the pole pieces might work, but the basses with black pole pieces on the talkbass thread don't look wonderful IMHO. I think covered pickups a'la the humbuckers on my 7 string would look nice on the black jazz bass above.

Or the black covered pickups from the Lodestone bass with black screws.

Black blade pickups might work as well, but I couldn't find any fully black jazz bass ones.

It's just personal taste obviously, but when I saw basses with black pole pieces on the talkbass thread, they just looked wrong to me.

EDIT: Oooh - it's possible to buy gold bass guitar strings. Anyone else think that the jazz bass up there would look even better with gold strings rather than steel coloured ones?

EDIT: Holy ... something! The following strings are gold coloured because they are actual gold plated!

http://www.optima-strings.com/gold-strings-electric-bass.php#p2

Edited by Annoying Twit

My Westone Pantera Deluxe II X790 is about as black as it can be without having black frets and the logo blacked out. Sporting a set of DR Black beauties.

[attachment=188260:pantera2.jpg][attachment=188261:pantera7.jpg]

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428056200' post='2737503']

EDIT: Oooh - it's possible to buy gold bass guitar strings. Anyone else think that the jazz bass up there would look even better with gold strings rather than steel coloured ones?

EDIT: Holy ... something! The following strings are gold coloured because they are actual gold plated!

http://www.optima-strings.com/gold-strings-electric-bass.php#p2
[/quote]
When I was a kid I bought a set of those for my guitarist bother, for his birthday.

Thomson do a five string set that I might be very tempted to try at some point, they'd look gorgeous on my Cort (which isn't a particularly black bass so probably shouldn't mention it in this thread...).

Edited by KingBollock

My Warlock is pretty black. The frets are steel and it has a white headstock logo and little white logos on the pick up covers, but other than that it is black.
I have considered, and not given up on the idea of, changing the pick ups to DiMarzio DP127bk black bladed pick ups.

I like the idea of black coated strings but I can't imagine they'd work well with a pick.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1428067153' post='2737682']
That is just gorgeous. :gas:

I think I said the same when you offered it for sale.
[/quote]Thanks Paul, it was gorgeous, and I sometimes wish I had kept it. :(