Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird style or not ?

patrikmarky

Really have gas for a thunderbird style of bass .sadley I don't have the funds for a Gibson at the moment and needs to be 5 string ....rumour is there a "one trick pony".....anyone got any thoughts on the epiphone or tokai option ? The schecter Nikki sixx signature looks cool but I'm not a fan of signature bass's and don't
Think it comes as a 5...

Have you looked at the Epiphone Thunderbird pro V? They look like a Thunderbird but nothing much else is similar - they are active so you can get a decent range of tones out of one. I had the 4 string version for a while and it played well and sounded just fine. Just thought I was too old and too fat to get away with wearing it. :)

The pro v is pretty rare, especially the translucent black. They come up on ebay occasionally. Quite nicely done, but you need to like a wide fretboard ;) . Some of the early ones had pick up issues with 4 string variants fitter rather than 5. Good hunting...

I wouldn't say my standard Epi tbird is a one trick pony by a long shot , its not as versatile as my active status , i'd say it was very meat an potatoes its not going to do you an amazing slap sound but it really sits in mix.

Tonal variation of where i play how ive got the picksups dialed in and subtle moves of the tone knob can turn it from a growly Rocker to a psudo upright with me muting and playing front PU only and using my thumb

Funnily enough I thought my Epi T-Bird was very versatile. I did a few sessions with it of varying genres and it always sounded great. I also personally thought the slap tone was fantastic! Real growly thump to it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1426950701' post='2723894']
Have you looked at the Epiphone Thunderbird pro V? They look like a Thunderbird but nothing much else is similar - they are active so you can get a decent range of tones out of one. I had the 4 string version for a while and it played well and sounded just fine. Just thought I was too old and too fat to get away with wearing it. :)
[/quote]

Are you me? :o Or are there a few old/fat blokes?

I had one too and thought it was cracking- sold it to a young skinny rock god type!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1427020149' post='2724678']
Are you me? :o [u]Or are there a few old/fat blokes?[/u]

I had one too and thought it was cracking- sold it to a young skinny rock god type!
[/quote]

I get the feeling there are maybe one or two.

There are certainly a lot of rock gods. At least, that is impression they give.

The big problem with Thunderbird shaped basses is that they are all very different and often have little in common as regards sounds, playability and construction. Which one is the right one for you will depend what you want from the bass.

Also there are very few 5-string models available. There was a Gibson version (in the 90s?) with a set rather than through neck construction but that was discontinued ages ago. The Epiphone 5-string version has pretty much nothing in common with the original Thunderbird other than a similar body shape. In terms of getting the sound of the original Gibson Thunderbirds, the Mike Lull T-Bass is supposed to be the most accurate, but it's not cheap. Cataldo Basses will make you a 5-string Fenderbird with Thunderbucker pickups...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1427094662' post='2725589']
bought this little £275.00 + postage ...not a bad price ..think it looks well cool :)
[/quote]Posing the question and acquiring one in just 2 days, good work sir and a fine score; enjoy.

Certainly was ...I'm pleased I went for the epi option ....its a bit of a gamble ..always loved the shape it's an icon and the active pups
Swung it .....looks like the fernandes has to go up for sale again as its getting bumped further and further down the pecking order ...
Thanks guys for all your inputs ..much appriciated ...

Edited by patrikmarky