Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

As i am in the process of opening a bass shop in Glasgow this thread has been fascinating. It's been like having a personal how not to do it class, all the complaints and comments on here should be banged into the heads of potential music shop emplyees and certainly i will make it required reading for any body i employ in the future ( and for myself). A wee question, as most of the makers/distributors i have contacted want very large minimum stock before you can be a dealer and as i am doing this on a tight budget, most of my initial stock will be second hand, would you still visit this kind of shop? I posted a thread "calling all scottish bassplayers" and got some great replies, but have a look wherever you live and give me some advice, i want the kind of shop that bass players want to use and you all can help, ta

I LOVE shops that have lots of S/H instruments, it's so much more interesting and exciting and much more likely to get me to open my wallet.

What puts me right off is if I spot the S/H prices are way too high. What you should also remember is that justification of the purchase to the partner is almost always a prerequisite and to be able to say "ah but it was a bargain and I can always sell it on at a profit later" smooths the way considerably :)

I love shops with second hand gear too.

I would be much more likely to visit than a shop full of new stuff.

New stuff is liable to get me straight on the net looking for the best price. That's not so great for a smaller independent I'd guess.

Good luck with the new venture.

Oh yes! A shop with used gear. That's what so many are lacking. My idea of hell is the guitar wall at PMT.

It's a bugger you're in Glasgow - bit of a stretch from N. Oxfordshire. Wishing you the very best of good fortune. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Hmm, i will stick up for the bass cellar after my first visit.

I went in on Tuesday for a quick look around, I didnt play anything, as it was quite full and i felt slightly off put at everything i had heard on here about. So Wednesday, when im back in London, i pop back in and its empty, except for the two fella's who run it. I ask if i can play a warwick corvette the 5er made of ash. No probs i get plugged in and play away. Then i ask if i can compare it to a bubinga bodied one, grand it seems. Then i ask if i can play a thumb for kicks. I get plugged in again. They were really helpful and answered all my questions on the bass's, and didnt have a problem with me spending an hour in there playing some of their instruments. I got a quote of 900 or so on the first warwick i played, and if i had the money i would have defiantly bought it there.

I think i got a good day or something maybe, as i was really pleased leaving there.

I think it's fair to say that the Bass Cellar has made a real effort over the last few months, and is now a much friendlier and more helpful place. I make a point of dropping every few weeks and I've certainly noticed the change.

The new manager (big guy with a beard, plays some tasty slap) is a proper shop manager type - greets you when you come in, lets you look around, asks if you need help, passes you the basses. The atmosphere in the shop is completely different when he's there.

If that's a permanent change then it's excellent news for all of us.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='264461' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:20 PM']However on the same day I visited about 20 other music shops in London (...I know) and generally people were really nice. In one shop, I think it was Wunjo Guitars, as soon as I looked at an old 60s jazz bass, the guy asked me if I wanted to try it out and what I wanted to plug it into. I ended up playing that bass for about 20 minutes and then I moved onto playing a old ric (they didn't stock EBMM). The weird thing is, a few minutes later a guy came in and bought both basses while I was still playing them. Each bass was priced around £2000 so can't have been short of cash to buy £4000 worth of basses without even trying them. Anyway i'd recommend Wunjo Guitars.[/quote]

A couple of years ago, I dropped into Wunjo guitars, looking at the time for one of the new Burns basses. The guy I spoke to was extremely helpful, even took my number and called me back on the Monday. I was interested at the time in a particular model which, it turns out, they don't do left handed. I would certainly drop into Wunjo any time I'm passed to see what they have, as itg was great that somebody bothered to come back to be even though it was only to say 'sorry, they don't do lefties'.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='265492' date='Aug 19 2008, 01:37 PM']It won't be a huge surprise to you that The Bass Cellar is owned by Music Ground, as is half of Denmark Street.

The independents are Wunjo's, Chris Bryant, Rose Morris, and Vintage & Rare. Also, don't forget Macari's around the corner on Charing Cross Road.

V&R are just as capable of being surly and unhelpful (NOT always) but they're selling a very different product to a very different market. The other independents are very friendly, helpful places. IME, of course.[/quote]

Interesting, the indies are obviously the ones I saw the more interesting stuff in. In general, I find Denmark Street prone to being pricey, though I'd expect that in central London. What I do find disappointing is that for the most part they don't seem to carry much other than a few very high end items (especially the vintage place, which to be honest I've never gone into as I'm just not into [i]real[/i] vintage stuff, and in any case it is well out of my price range), with the most of the stock being multiple low-end things. The high level of cheap stuff does mean they often have good deals (at least, if you're not left handed). Still, this sort of business model which seems to concentrate on the lower end, stocking mlutiples of the same instruments in bulk, doesn't interest me so much. Even were I not left handed, I find the palce in general seems to lack choice and be very far from 'the home of music' it seems to be marketed as being. Handy to buy accessories and things, as nowadays with House of Music (what was the Bass Centre when it moved from Wapping to Brune Street) gone it's the closest spot for guitar bits nearest home for me.

The best service I've received has come from a range of places:

some pretty good places in Belfast, especially Matchetts. Thy put up with me bothering them about info on lefty Strats and things for years before I finally could afford my US Std new in there, back in 94.... after that, I bought pretty much everything in there - still do pick up bits from them when I'm in town. good folks.

House of Music / Bass Centre were superb - I bought a few small bits in there, including a hard case for my Tanglewood acoustic. They did a repair on that for me after the top developed a split. I remember opening the case to show them it when I took it in, surrounded by all this high end stuff and expecting the normal snootiness you get in shops about what they perceive as 'low end', and was pleasantly surprised by how positive, even complimentary, they were about the brand. That makes a difference. I'm disappointed they're gone - only discovered that a couple months back when I wanted to start looking at P basses.

Holiday Music - superb expriences in there, best lefty stock I've ever seen. Shame is now they've moved from Leytonstone out of London to some place that, judging from the website, ain't easy to get to if you don't drive, so I've probably lost that as a source. Sham,e as I'm looking for a local place, preferably independent and good with lefties, that I can develop a relationship with.

Guitar works in Reading I can highly recommend - really good letting me try out a CIJ Tele and Strat - ended up buying the Tele a couple of months later. Great attitude from the salesfolks, good deal. Recommended. The big new place in Reading near the B&Q is also good, friendly helpful staff, though a tiny bit pricier than GW.

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='595821' date='Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM']some pretty good places in Belfast, especially Matchetts. Thy put up with me bothering them about info on lefty Strats and things for years before I finally could afford my US Std new in there, back in 94.... after that, I bought pretty much everything in there - still do pick up bits from them when I'm in town. good folks.[/quote]

I remember Matchetts I used to go in there a lot when I was signing on in Belfast and they would let me play anything, although I really cant remember ever buying anything there !

The worst service I got in Belfast was the music shop near the Central Library( I cant remember what they were called ) I enquired about a hard case for a double bass to which the owner replied that they dont make them. When I questioned him about this he came screaming from behind the counter repeatedly shouting " well you tell me where I can buy them ". Didnt buy anything there either

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='595856' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:16 PM']I remember Matchetts I used to go in there a lot when I was signing on in Belfast and they would let me play anything, although I really cant remember ever buying anything there !

The worst service I got in Belfast was the music shop near the Central Library( I cant remember what they were called ) I enquired about a hard case for a double bass to which the owner replied that they dont make them. When I questioned him about this he came screaming from behind the counter repeatedly shouting " well you tell me where I can buy them ". Didnt buy anything there either[/quote]

Where's that, now? I remember there was one place out on York Street, opposite the station could be funny..... worst I ever encoiuntered, though, was Session Music, back when they were on Dublin Road. I remember them refusing to quote me anything other than list price (which even back in those days was £200 over general street price) for a Strat, claiming Fender would'nt let them or somesuch nonsense..... needless to say, never bought anything in there.

[quote name='jamiejames' post='575298' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:19 AM']A wee question, as most of the makers/distributors i have contacted want very large minimum stock before you can be a dealer and as i am doing this on a tight budget, most of my initial stock will be second hand, would you still visit this kind of shop?[/quote]

I would be far more inclined to visit that kind of shop.

Second hand instruments to me spell quality and value. Quality because they are tried and tested, they have survived the use of previous owners and have been nice nicely played in, so they feel and sound wonderful. They also spell value because they are obviously cheaper than the new thing, which attracts me even more. Furthermore, for a shop which is selling second hand instruments, I'd be extremely interested in visiting just because they are likely to have some interesting stuff, not just the usual racks of jazz basses and P basses. For instance, it has been a long time since I walked into Guitar Guitar in Newcastle and saw something that I really wanted to try, never mind buy!

I have long been a fan of buying used rather than new when it comes to basses. Really, I would prefer it if all shops made more of an effort to stock second hand items.

Best of luck with the shop, keep in touch here and let us know what you have in.

[quote]Guitar works in Reading I can highly recommend - really good letting me try out a CIJ Tele and Strat - ended up buying the Tele a couple of months later. Great attitude from the salesfolks, good deal. Recommended.[/quote]

+1

[quote]The big new place in Reading near the B&Q is also good, friendly helpful staff, though a tiny bit pricier than GW.[/quote]

Where's that then ? The only big place I can think of is Dawsons, and that is nowhere near B&Q, which is right next to the Madjeski Stadium.

I was in the Bass Cellar the other day, I was the only customer at the time. What were the staff doing? Staring out the window at nothing whilst I waited patiently at the counter. If I hadn't said anything I reckon I'd still be there now! So as far as I can see nothing has changed there, it's still the same crap service and badly informed comments (a difference of opinion on neck widths, where they were so far off base it was unreal, apparently all 5's are the same width, really?). Conversely I was in The Gallery a couple of days later and was treated very well as usual and had to drag myself away to get some work done, whereas I could hardly wait to leave the Bass Cellar.

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='596889' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:32 PM']Where's that, now? I remember there was one place out on York Street, opposite the station could be funny..... worst I ever encoiuntered, though, was Session Music, back when they were on Dublin Road. I remember them refusing to quote me anything other than list price (which even back in those days was £200 over general street price) for a Strat, claiming Fender would'nt let them or somesuch nonsense..... needless to say, never bought anything in there.[/quote]

you mean baird sound. they could be a bit funny, but knowledgeable old guys - i used to rent pa stuff there. almost bought a natural bodied p bass there too!

marcus music was awesome when it was in north street - i used to sit in there for about 3/4 hours on a saturday when i was a teenager, playing lots of things i blatently couldn't afford, and they were really sound guys. was in there on saturday actually when i was at home; and it was balls.

john at matchetts was an awesome guy (and bass player) - he really, really helped me out more times than i can remember. bought my bart tct from him, in 1996 or something, and it's still in use in about it's 20th guise!!

Edited by eightball

I didn't realise the shop had such a bad reputation, I thought it was just me.

I always feel odd when I'm in there. It's like I'm a child in a shop with my mother telling me not to touch anything.

And whenever I ask the staff for advice I get really short answers that make it clear that you're wasting their time.

Horrible place...

[quote name='ped' post='563866' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:59 PM']They have been in contact with us and are keen to improve their standing and reputation with Basschatters. I hope your positive post is a step in the right direction. Has anyone else had a positive experience there?

ped[/quote]

doesn't seem to be happening does it? :)

Just went in there half an hour ago. I didn't ask to play any basses but I did ask for some advice.

There was a youngish guy with long hair who was helpful. He helped me pick some strings because they didn't have the DR Hi Beams in the gauge I wanted.

The other guy who's normally in there (short hair, goatee) carried on Facebooking or whatever it is they do the whole time :) Although he did say how much the strings were without taking his eyes away from the screen.

Felt a bit nicer - but then I [i]was[/i] buying something.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the strings were a decent price. £27 for 5 string ernie ball sets and £35 for DR Hi Beams.

Edited by Dubhghaill

[quote name='metaltime' post='608777' date='Sep 25 2009, 04:55 PM']A great music shop is Hotroxs in Nottingham, Its only small and only really sells effects and other bits but the guy there is great. Anyone who is interested in trying out different effects should go there.[/quote]

If this is the same guy - [url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/[/url] - then I've had good experiences buying online.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='605791' date='Sep 22 2009, 04:44 PM']doesn't seem to be happening does it? :)[/quote]

No it doesn't does it. I don't know why they confined it to Basschatters either. If they don't know how to run a bass shop in a way that emphasises customer service and care, price matching and holding decent stock, they probably should give up. I really wouldn't trust their after sales service either, if they have any, which is one thing they could offer to get one over on the internet sellers. Why can't they get a bloody web site sorted too?

Had a day off today and so decided to drive the hour to Brighton to visit GAK. Now I haven't been there for nearly 10 years back when I was playing guitar, so wasn't sure what to expect on the bass front at all. OMG what a great time, Mark at the shop was super helpful and let me try anything I wanted (even though he knew that I wasn't spending any money today) in a room on my own. Guess what? When I come buy my new bass (oh yes there is definitely a new one in the offing, I wasn't just taking the mickey) GAK are going to be right at the fore of my places to buy from. How hard was it to give decent service? Not hard at all, just a pleasant word and attitude and a willingness to help. Bass Cellar, if you're reading this thread at all and you should be, this is how it's done.

[quote name='metaltime' post='608777' date='Sep 25 2009, 04:55 PM']A great music shop is Hotroxs in Nottingham, Its only small and only really sells effects and other bits but the guy there is great. Anyone who is interested in trying out different effects should go there.[/quote]
Yeah i've been in there a couple of times, they've got some really great gear and their service is top notch