Why become a member? ×

DB112 vs SL112?

acidbass

Hi all,

Been looking at these cabinets as an option to use with a Tonehammer 500 head. What's the general feeling on here about how they compare to one another? I know the SL112 is a lot lighter but weight isn't an issue. Planning on using two matching cabinets for most stuff, with one for smaller gigs.

Tone wise I favour a more 'vintage' style sound with emphasis on low mids.

Any experiences more than welcomed :)

Danny

Hi Danny

Not an option you mentioned, but i have a TH500 paired with 2 X TKS112. Both without a tweeter.
The sound your after, is exactly the sound i try to achieve.
Cant compare to the SL or the DB, but may be worth you trying out the TKS if you get a chance.
I would say your welcome to try mine, but im sure a day trip to Wales probably isn't pheasible!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425474291' post='2707676']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237894-ncd-tks-enginnering-content/"]This thread might give you something else to consider...[/url]
[/quote]

The only cabs I'd change to from my db112s. However, someone is going stick a dirty great Neumann in front of one this weekend and it's the best uber vintage on steroids sound I've heard.

Edited by scalpy

I like the SL112's with a TH500, I favoured that against the CN112.
I do have a DB212, which is great, but I run that with a DB amp.
Policesquad and I demoed these 3 great 112's;
CN V SL V TKS, and we both thought the TKS was the clear winner.
You'd have to try really hard to get a bad sound out of any of them
but the TKS had the little X factor, IMO.

Ive lost count of the number of times I've tried a pair of DB's against CN's, SL's and TKS.

I really like 12's and would love to settle on the 'perfect' pair for me but can never quite make my mind up!

The DB's sounded fantastic with the DB750 head and I gigged that a few times. Eventually it was all too heavy for me.

There is a lovely low end thump to the DB's that the two Neo cabs struggle a little to replicate. However a decent amp and some experimenting with eq can get pretty close whilst also adding a bit of clarity and brightness.

The TKS cabs sit nicely between the DB and the neo cabs. I have a feeling this might be partly due to the ceramic speakers. If you don't need a tweeter then they are a great price compared to all the others (Still good with a tweeter just not as exceptionally low priced) and very well made indeed.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1425517508' post='2708226']
I've heard Steve Lawson's rig a couple of times, sounds amazing ! He uses TH500's and SL112's.[/quote]

I suspect he would sound amazing through pretty much any rig...