Why become a member? ×

Thinking about a custom (again)

thedontcarebear

A few on here who followed it will remember my old ebony ACG that I was getting made, but it got ruined in the post and is hanging on Alans wall at the moment I believe, Alan was awesome with a refund etc, but I think I really want the vision of my bass made in to reality, it was all about the choices of the woods and how they would look for me, so I am considering getting a luthier to make me a bass with the same woods that I wanted before, but am not sure who, anyone know a realish Shuker build time nowadays? Any lesser known American Luthiers to consider?

This was the ACG before posting (not sure if many have seen these pictures actually), you can get what I mean about the choice of woods I made, and how I wanted the sections of the body......

Bent pots and damage from that, and I believe Alan said it damaged quite a bit of the wood and last I heard he had the fretboard taken off it, I am sure I saw it in the background of one of the photos on here hanging there without the board, not sure 100% all the issues it had though, it needed a refinish too as for some reason the finish was going cloudy in a few places (I am sure Alan has found out why now though).

Ehh? When did this happen? Was it in a Hiscox case when it was sent, who did the damage and what do you mean by a cloudy finish?

I watched it being built and was really looking forward to seeing it, then for some reason, probably because of the trouble and you not posting it on here, I forgot about it.
That is so sad, can't it be righted?

Quite a few months ago now, yeah was in a hiscox, must have been a lot of force on top of it, didn't really start this to be a thread about the ACG though.

There will be an ACG in this house soon enough though as my housemates Wenge top one is finished now.

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='rjb' post='261927' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:03 PM']RIM Basses seem to do some very nice stuff. There are a few of his in the Build Diaries section.

[url="http://www.rimcustombasses.co.uk"]www.rimcustombasses.co.uk[/url][/quote]

I do love his stuff, I have considered getting one of his for a while.

That's a real shame about your ACG dude!
The standard of courier/postal services is appalling. I sent a bass out in a Gator Hard Case once, the same one Jon shipped my single cut to me in, in about an inch of bubble wrap and brown paper too, when it got to the other end, via UPS, the case was apparently shattered! Thankfully the bass was OK...

Surely you'd have to drop a Hiscox case from a great height or drive over it in a van to damage it!

Can't really comment about build times from other luthiers though, Shukers seem to be taking about 6-8 months on average just now.
I think Alan at ACG comes in on time, not heard any complaints about Overwater or GB bass build times.

As far as other luthiers to check out though, have a look at [url="http://www.cbbasses.com"]CB Basses[/url]
I've been GAS'in' for one of those for ages, think he's got a 12 month waiting list though :)

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

Just to chip in on this thread.
I have no idea what UPS did to the parcel to do what they managed to go to the bass but it must have very large and very heavy as the damage was due to the case being compressed.
The damage.
Two stacks were bent and one of the circuit boards was broken.
Neck pickup had been pushed in so hard that it stripped the retaining screw.
Strap button on the back of the upper horn had been pushed in and cracked the lacquer.
Binding had been damaged on the E string side of the neck.
Mr Bear was not happy with the finish which was a fair point as the lacquer had developed a slight cloudiness in a couple of areas. I was going to re-finish the bass in order to put this right.
I have since removed the finger board due to the damage to the binding having tried to fix the binding first but it did not look to good so I decided just to remove the whole lot.
The bass has been partially stripped and I have been watching the neck to see if there has been any movement in it but it seems to be perfectly all right.
I have put a new finger board on and as time permits I will get the bass back up and running.

All in all it was a very disappointing episode due to the damage and the finish problem. I hate having disappointed customers.

The bass was insured but the carrier does not allow insurance to the full value of the bass so I lost a bit on the bass and it took ages to get the money from them needing constant calls and e-mails to finally get them to settle.

Alan

[quote name='skelf' post='262317' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:08 PM']Just to chip in on this thread.
I have no idea what UPS did to the parcel to do what they managed to go to the bass but it must have very large and very heavy as the damage was due to the case being compressed.
The damage.
Two stacks were bent and one of the circuit boards was broken.
Neck pickup had been pushed in so hard that it stripped the retaining screw.
Strap button on the back of the upper horn had been pushed in and cracked the lacquer.
Binding had been damaged on the E string side of the neck.
Mr Bear was not happy with the finish which was a fair point as the lacquer had developed a slight cloudiness in a couple of areas. I was going to re-finish the bass in order to put this right.
I have since removed the finger board due to the damage to the binding having tried to fix the binding first but it did not look to good so I decided just to remove the whole lot.
The bass has been partially stripped and I have been watching the neck to see if there has been any movement in it but it seems to be perfectly all right.
I have put a new finger board on and as time permits I will get the bass back up and running.

All in all it was a very disappointing episode due to the damage and the finish problem. I hate having disappointed customers.

The bass was insured but the carrier does not allow insurance to the full value of the bass so I lost a bit on the bass and it took ages to get the money from them needing constant calls and e-mails to finally get them to settle.

Alan[/quote]

That's awful!
I take it you're using another courier service now?
I really don't understand how they would manage to do that much damage through a Hiscox case, it's just crazy!

Eude

Eude
I don't know how it was done either.
I spoke to Hiscox and they say their cases are good for 500 kg that is a lot of weight.

I use a broker which works out a lot cheaper than going to UPS direct. Up until that point they had been really good delivery on time pickup on time not a single issue. Having spoken to a guy I have been getting deliveries from for my other business he tells me that once it gets into one of the hubs they can treat these parcels very badly. He is liable for any damage between him and the hub but after that it would seem to be down to blind luck.

I know that this thread's getting derailed in terms of your requested custom options etc but, if the ACG was and still is your choice in terms of woods and specification I suspect Alan could get it up and running in less time that any luthier would build from scratch and the laquer issue would be firmly resolved.

I think you'll struggle to do any better at any price. I particlarly love the side (sandwich) view of this bass, phenominal!

Nope, I'd put my dosh with Alan every time, even in answer to your original question (so this isn't completely irrelevant). Great pre amp too.

Peter

For a custom, I'd go with Alan again, without hesitation.
The quality of materials, the construction, the playability, the shape, the feel, the sounds, that preamp and value for money, I don't think can be bettered.
I am slightly biased though.
I would like a Status but they are different beasts.
I've heared horror stories of the plebs who work in these distribution hubs playing football with and chucking parcels around, don't these places have cctv and supervisors?
It sounds like a fork-lift truck may have been involoved with your bass.
As for other custom builders, the U.K. is going to be your best bet, after you have paid import duty, postage etc and a dollar which is getting stronger, you could pay a small fortune. And if anything similar happens to that instrument, you may not be as lucky in getting the level of aftercare that ACG provided for you.

In 1980 I had a Christmas holiday job in the Royal Mail sorting office in Colchester. We had a special procedure for all parcels from Northern Ireland, we'd stand about 15 feet from the relevant mail bag and chuck it in!

If it was a bomb it exploded. That was the theory, thankfully unproven :)

Peter

I can understand that having gone through the whole custom build process once without actually getting a bass at the end of it you'd be inclined to look for someone with a shortish build time, but on the other hand it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want so it would be a pity if you didn't get it absolutely right this time. If the ACG was what you wanted except for the damage then I'd be going back to Alan - unless the idea is far to traumatic for either of you...

Alternatively, take your time, do some research, speak to some luthiers and then sit back and enjoy your new bass as it takes shape...

When I was looking for someone to build me a fretless, I must have spent at least a year looking at luthiers web sites and discussing my requirements with the ones that appealed to me before finally making my decision.

If you want to start from scratch again, then begin by having a look at [url="http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=links&catID=1"]this list of luthiers and bass manufacturers[/url] and see what takes your fancy. It's a little out of date now but at least 75% of the links are still good and there will be stuff on there that you've never seen before...

In the end it'll probably be easier to go with a UK based luthier, but with the weak Dollar don't rule out the US. Also don't be surprised by just how many quality bass luthiers there are in Germany!

I'd definitley agree with Steve.

I spoke to Alan earlier about a preamp, he's a really nice guy, and it's obviously not his fault that some total utter moron wrecked the bass.

It does make you wonder what goes on though, they're very security consious at these places, so there must be CCTV inside, so don't they get picked up for damaging parcels.
I doubt it would go down too well where I work if I started to do things that affected our customers, and resulted in us losing business.

I'd also feel inclined to go and collect the guitar this time, where ever it came from.

Edited by 6stringbassist