Why become a member? ×

What cab with a Matamp GT200 MK1??

Jimelliottbassist

I'd probably recommend any Berg cab. When I had mine I had the Matamp 212 with Celestion ferrite drivers. When cranked it gave a nice Ampeg 810 thump but without the weight and need for volume. The Matamp 212 will vary with whatever driver you put in it, but they are a coloured cab. I tried mine with a Barefaced Gen 3 Super 12T which was entirely uncolored and it was like the amp had blown it nose, but a lack of thump.

The Mk1 (to be honest, that's an over simplification as they are always in a state of development) is not hugely bass heavy (which was one of the reasons for the Mk2) so you might consider a low-tuned cab such as a large box/ported 115.. such as my Purple Chili 115 (link to sale in sig.. shameless plug!) which sounded great with the GT200.

Without sounding obvious, you'd be better off trying out a few cabs and go with the sound you like. There is no 'right' cab, just the one that is right for your ears

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Jimelliottbassist' timestamp='1423693154' post='2688105']
212 with ferrite drivers sounds cool. It needs to be carried up a stair case and I play in a 4 piece rock band most of the time. I'm popping up to see Jeff tomorrow.
[/quote]

Mine (2 of them!) were pretty heavy at 29Kg. If you had neo's this should help. The Matamp 212 is a good choice as it's compact and the amp sits nicely on it.

I'd check it out with the TKS range ...as they tend to do ceramic units in
lightweight boxes. I'd stick with 12's but the 15 boxes also sounded very good indeed
and I am not generally a 15 fan. Ask Bassgear what demo line they have in stock..
I'd always be looking to pair a big block with ceramics.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim.
I've used quite a few of the above cabs with my mk1.
The Matamp 2x12s are really good. They're pretty old school. In spite of that they hold up well against modern cabs.
I've got a Berg 4x12 and that's got a ton of low end. The preferred cab with the GT though is a Barefaced 69er. That holds together with the stupid settings I use.
There's more low end with that than the berg 6x10 I got to a/b with the 69er.
All great cabs though.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1426026564' post='2713675']
For the retro sound, Marshall 4x15 ? The bass players answer to the 4x12.
[/quote]

I had one back in the day...woefully underpowered back then.
A pre '79 type model, I believe, and I ran it with a Hiwatt.