Why become a member? ×

Am I too shallow for leaving this band?

MikanHannille

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1422907590' post='2678272']
Perfectly valid reasons to bag it mate.

Got to ask though, 8 months of rehearsals before your first gig and you didn't see the signs ? :huh:

Les
[/quote]

My fault on this one. I should've stopped when they declined the drummers idea to do support gigs early on. I wasted a good amount of time there.

seems odd, we have been together a month and a half, have 30 songs and already one gig down. We would have done a gig on friday but at short notice my car was out of action and i couldn't guarantee to get it going. We do any gig that comes up that pays.

I think if it had been 8 months, the drummer would have got bored and gone elsewhere, he is very keen on gigging.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422912403' post='2678387']
seems odd, we have been together a month and a half, have 30 songs and already one gig down.
[/quote]

That's more like it!
I'm rehearsing with a new band on the 8th, gig on the 27th. Would have liked at least one more rehearsal, to be honest... :unsure:

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422912403' post='2678387'] seems odd, we have been together a month and a half, have 30 songs and already one gig down. [/quote]

That's exactly the situation I'm in with one of my other bands.

3 rehearsals, one gig done and two rebookings from it. Second gig this Friday

Les

Sounds like a typical vocalist to me.....the better they are the more objectionable they can be....ours independently appointed himself as musical director even though he can't play a single instrument....I just let him get on with it up to a point where I get pished off with him, I then take great pleasure in exposing his total lack of understanding of music and hence sending him scurrying back into his box for a couple of months...the rest of the band have an agreement that this is how we deal with him....the point of this is....he is a damn fine singer and a bloody good front man....can we do better...simply, no, so in the interests of having the best band we can we tolerate and humour where needed, he is not a total arse just a typical front man!

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8 months of rehearsal is WAY too long. I like to be well-rehearsed personally, but in fact it's better to get out as soon as possible even if it's not totally 100% - it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking your sets have to be absolutely polished and perfect before gigging - this is a waste of time because it really doesn't work like that. You want to get good at playing gigs, not good at doing rehearsals..[/font][/color][/quote]

Absolutely this - do some gigs at the first opportunity and then practice a you go.

If you're doing it for fun and then not having any then that gives you your answer - not shallow; common sense.

I guess if you get home from rehearsals wondering whether you enjoyed it then its definitely time to walk. Sounds to me like the number of songs is an excuse as well. I cant see any rteason not to get out there and at least do some open band nights. Ultimatum time?

• 2 weeks later...

I know the problem, its "comfort zone idleness music" A band run for the benefit of the band, so they do not have to learn anything new.
Most landlords put the phone down straight away if you start reeling off a list of old 70's rock.
Admittedly a few very well established bands still get away with it, but only just.

The markets dead for that type of stuff now, like 60's music, the 80's are the new 60's now.
Leave them too it, lifes too short to spend your time effort and money on someones hobby.

I'm always fascinated about what works and why...
I'd not be that fussed about an 80's band or a 70's band
myself but I think they'd do ok in pubs.
The problem is getting out of them. £250 will be paid
without many questions being asked but it is harder
to get popular and generate better fees, IMO.
80's pub bands round here would struggle to get £500
at other gigs. Nobody would pay that for gtr bands, generally.