Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1424010485' post='2691457']

voting ends or voting begins?
[/quote]

Ah. Yes. I'm not having much success with these announcements, am I?

Voting begins on Saturday! :) Well, technically Sunday morning. But the deadline for entries is midnight on the 21st.

PS: probably best to just put me down now. Don't prolong it. Quick and painless. Death by custard is preferable.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1424043500' post='2692013']
Saturday 21st is very early. I have a lovely song in my head that might be done next Monday or Tuesday. I haven't a hope of getting it down this week. Mid term and work have me fully loaded. I wouldn't expect anyone to wait for me but would an entry that late be accepted?
[/quote]

Not if it's going to beat mine..! <_<

No, seriously; Skol will reply in his 'official' capacity; personally I see no major problem with pushing the deadline, except that he's unlikely to be able to announce a correct date until several days after that..! :P
It would give me time to compose a couple more, I suppose, but I'm not allowed to enter several at once (I wonder why..? They're terribly good, you know... :huh: ).
Over to the experts...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1424043500' post='2692013']
Saturday 21st is very early. I have a lovely song in my head that might be done next Monday or Tuesday. I haven't a hope of getting it down this week. Mid term and work have me fully loaded. I wouldn't expect anyone to wait for me but would an entry that late be accepted?
[/quote]

Sorry chap, I can't budge the deadline this month! :(

The reason being I'm away in Amsterdam from Sunday night until Thursday next week (sadly business, not pleasure) and I wouldn't want to delay the kick off until Thursday/Friday, as that would mean biting a chunk out of next month's composition time.

If you can get something finished for Monday night that would be fine*. I mean... you can submit a track [i]anytime[/i] after the deadline if you like; it just might not get the votes it deserves with everyone else having a head start. But better late than never!

Sorry to be such a scrooge. Any other time and I'd happily give you a couple of extra days.

*EDIT: let me know in advance if you plan to do this, and I'll try to make sure I have an Internet connection that evening.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1424084300' post='2692297']

Sorry chap, I can't budge the deadline this month! :(

The reason being I'm away in Amsterdam from Sunday night until Thursday next week (sadly business, not pleasure) and I wouldn't want to delay the kick off until Thursday/Friday, as that would mean biting a chunk out of next month's composition time.

If you can get something finished for Monday night that would be fine*. I mean... you can submit a track [i]anytime[/i] after the deadline if you like; it just might not get the votes it deserves with everyone else having a head start. But better late than never!

Sorry to be such a scrooge. Any other time and I'd happily give you a couple of extra days.

*EDIT: let me know in advance if you plan to do this, and I'll try to make sure I have an Internet connection that evening.
[/quote]
Cheers dude.

I'm out this month, there just isn't enough time to finish anything listenable. Which is a pity, because I really liked the picture, and had some ideas for music to go with it. On the other hand, listening to the submissions so far, my entry would probably have ended up with no votes anyway:-D.
Good luck to all!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424255863' post='2694340'] Don't worry, I've gone for this month's [i]nul points[/i] crown! [/quote]

That's the second best prize after winning. I was sure I was on for it last month. I had zero up until the voting closed and the final tally showed three for me. I don't know how that happened. I was glad of the sympathy votes in a way, but I was also kind of looking forward to getting literally zero.
Maybe this month!

I came into Basschat today to have a look at what was happening with this thread and I just had a thought. Paul's title to the thread is 'February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING'! Whilst I applaud the enthusiasm and motivational punch of the wording, surely the title should be 'February Composition Challenge - GET WRITING! Or 'GET COMPOSING'. Recording is the part of the process where we budding composers translate out ideas into a form that our peers and audience can readily consume. If I wrote a piece and posted the score, I would still have entered but it would be diffiult for the bulk of Basschat members (including myself) to recognise the quality of it's contents. Nevertheless, the fact remains that, before recording the composition, you need to write/compose it. If anyone is recording stuff they have not yet written, I suggest they stop immediately.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1424265751' post='2694505']
Nevertheless, the fact remains that, before recording the composition, you need to write/compose it. If anyone is recording stuff they have not yet written, I suggest they stop immediately.
[/quote]

You'll probably not be surprised that my beautiful composition wasn't so much composed as completely improvised...
But I won't do it again, honest!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424267715' post='2694535']
You'll probably not be surprised that my beautiful composition wasn't so much composed as completely improvised...
But I won't do it again, honest!
[/quote]
:lol:

I must admit , I have to record a fair bit of my noodling as I search for a tune / riff or melody for instance as I go along . The trouble with me is that I might think 'ooh that sounds alright' but if I stop playing and turn round to start recording the thing I will have already forgotten it :blush:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1424265751' post='2694505']...If anyone is recording stuff they have not yet written, I suggest they stop immediately.
[/quote]

... and that's the trouble with music, today. :angry: I see that you know nothing of jazz, in which the key element is, indeed, the playing (and thus, perchance, recording...) of stuff which has never been written, still less formally composed. There are many works by Bach in which the improvisation (of 'on the spot' fugues...) are the main feature. Do primitive tribesman scratch their native rhythms in the sand before embarking upon their ritual dances..? No, of course not. Really, my lad, I'm disappointed that this mania for over-intellectualisation should strike one so young. Punk..! What do you do with punk, eh..? Written..? Composed..? Decomposed, more like, the greater (or should that be lesser..?) part..! West coast, Grateful Dead; 'Dark Star'..! Ten Years After; 'Going Home'..? All 'composed'..? All 'written'..? Pshaw..! Piffle..! Balderdash..! Pebbledash.. Oh, wait a minute... :blush:
/rant

:lol: :P

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1424265751' post='2694505']
...surely the title should be 'February Composition Challenge - GET WRITING! Or 'GET COMPOSING'. Recording is the part of the process where we budding composers translate out ideas into a form that our peers and audience can readily consume.
[/quote]

Good point; noted!

I'll change the title when next on my desktop (current stabbing away at a phone keypad).

And for future challenges we'll use the title "GET WRITING!". Same gist as "composing" but it sounds slightly less daunting ;)

PS: this month we're going to trial a new voting system (you heard it here first!).

It'll allow you to vote for as many entries as you like (one vote maximum per entry), so we should get a better spread of results - and hopefully a closer finish.

This is all assuming I work out the technicalities...

If it tanks, we'll revert back to the traditional 'one vote' system. But no harm in trying, eh :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1424285057' post='2694780']
It'll allow you to vote for as many entries as you like (one vote maximum per entry), so we should get a better spread of results - and hopefully a closer finish.
[/quote]

Yep, it should be a closer finish.
In fact, If every voter votes for every entry.......it should be a massive draw. :D

Edit - Lurks beat me by three minutes. :facepalm:

Edited by lowdown