Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Well done guys. But [/size][size=4]arghh!...[/size] [size=4] you’re all making me sweat a little :P[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’m going to really struggle this month…. and for the next few months.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]All in a good cause. What little free time I have is being devoted to a trio of projects with Mike ‘urb’ Flynn of this ‘ere parish: a jazz album that his band J-Sonics have recently recorded (which I’m helping to mix); our own electronica project, which is taking shape as an EP (nearly finished!); plus some new work with singer Paula Rae Gibson.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’m [i]very[/i] excited about it all! But it does mean that my entries for the Challenge are going to be squeezed in around this lot, as and when.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Still, I’ve never yet missed one of these Challenges and I don’t plan on doing so ;)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu0rP2VWLWw[/size][/size][/font]

I got an hour in tonight trying to nail a few of the glitches that are screwing my final mix up. I spent ages trying to find out why the midi editors would not open. Finally realised that locking the tracks (on the advice of Skol, IIRC) meant exactly that. Still, I learned something more 😃

I've just spent 3 and a half hours tonight and around the same time again over the last week trying to work out why my project was crashing all the time. During my testing I'd found that if I swapped the same rate on my Forte from 48khz to 44.1khz it would crash immediately without fail. Hours of trying every damn thing I read up on and nothing sorted it. So I stripped out the VSTs one by one and eventually found that it was Sampletank 3 Free version that was the culprit. I was 30 mins away from doing a full Windows reinstall before finding out it was that.

Anyway, still working on mine. I'm gonna leave the recording/composition as it is and do the mix. It's sounding pretty decent at the moment and I'm loving the bass sound too.

Yes, I'm wary of vst's now. When I come across any new stuff, I do a fairly thorough 'quarantined' test, to make sure it'll not rock my already rocky system. I've now a pretty good collection of pretty much all I'll be able to exploit in this lifetime, so it's now quite rare that I add anything; a year or so ago I found quite a selection of 'rotten apples' that wouldn't work or, as you've found, crashed the lot. Well done for finding the rogue before wiping your system (although sometimes, it's not a bad thing to do that, anyway..!).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1423776754' post='2689023']
I got an hour in tonight trying to nail a few of the glitches that are screwing my final mix up. I spent ages trying to find out why the midi editors would not open. Finally realised that locking the tracks (on the advice of Skol, IIRC) meant exactly that. Still, I learned something more
[/quote]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]… did I say that? Oops :blush:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Ah! No… I remember now. It was ‘freeze’ the tracks, not ‘lock’. I think.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Point is: if your computer is straining under the demands of various VSTs, it can cause your DAW software to crash or start producing nasty sounds (known as ‘artefacts’).[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]The way around this is to output each track/instrument (or stem) of your composition as a separate audio file, with the VSTs applied. And then load each audio track back in without the VSTs. Make sense?[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]So for example: I might have a very busy and complicated drum track, which is written in MIDI and has a whole bunch of VSTs applied (virtual instruments, EQ, compression, saturation, reverb, etc, etc). It’s making my computer groan. So I solo the track and select ‘Export loop as audio’. This gives me a nice, neat copy of just the drum track as an audio (WAV) file. I then delete the original MIDI drum track and all of its associated VSTs from my composition - and replace it with the new audio file. Job done![/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]On very busy compositions, I often end up using this method to create audio copies of each ‘mix stem’ (vocals, drums, bass, guitars, synths, etc), so that my final composition contains only audio files and very little in the way of MIDI/VSTs. It keeps everything ‘lean’ and prevents my computer from sweating during the final mix.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Or you could just buy a new computer :)[/size][/size][/font]

In Bilbo's case, Cubase, you can just 'Freeze' the Instrument/Midi track.
This will just output as Audio (no need to export then import the bounced track),
but you won't be able to edit the Midi track while frozen.
All it does is disengage the VSTi, and take the load of the CPU, and unload any RAM associated with the Samples.
If you need to edit the Midi track, just unfreeze, edit, then Freeze again.
When you have the notes and expressions just how you want, then bounce down to Audio.
In Cubase, this will save you having different Audio file versions of the same track building up,
in the pool with the various edits.

Here's the thing though.
With an i7 Quad core, and a load of RAM,
all the bore fest, that I have written above......
is a thing of the past...... :D

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1423820609' post='2689306']
Here's the thing though.
With an i7 Quad core, and a load of RAM,
all the bore fest, that I have written above......
is a thing of the past...... :D
[/quote]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Ah Garry, you’re taking the fun out of it! :P[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[i][size=4](note to self: I need a new computer).[/size][/i][/size][/font]

That last but one post is wonderfully helpful, Paul. It makes perfect sense and I can now go back to the track and see what I can do to address these 'artefacts' (get me). My biggest problem with all of this isn't my computer (which remains astonshingly stable for a 12 year old PC using Windows XP), it is finding uninterrupted time to learn and retain all of this stuff :lol: I never seem to get more then an hour and a half to sit there knobbing about. Very frustrating!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1423821548' post='2689323']
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Ah Garry, you’re taking the fun out of it! :P[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Funny enough, one of my boys is running Logic V5.xx (Emagic) on an old pc with windows XP,
and he keeps telling me it's more fun - The Midi timing on it is great.

I upgraded from an old Core 2 Duo with 8GB of ram to an overclocked i7 running at 4.6ghz and 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM (don't you just love RAM that's called Vengeance?). I had a track, one of my entries for this competition in fact, that it couldn't play without a glitch unless I froze half the tracks and even then the CPU use was hitting 80-90%. Under my new system the same track, with everything unfrozen and played in realtime hits around 8-12% CPU usage. The crazy thing is, it runs quieter than my old system too!

I might manage to put forward an entry this month (1st timer). Haven't started yet, but i have an assignment to do on my "introduction to Ableton" course so i'm thinking of basing my track on this picture and doing the whole 2 birds 1 stone thing. When is the deadline for the competition? Apologies if i don't make it in time, but i'm pretty busy. I'm getting a cinematic sounds VST on monday so hope that has some cool train sounds :) thinking of doing something dark and atmospheric.

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1423867592' post='2690018']
I might manage to put forward an entry this month (1st timer).
[/quote]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Welcome![/size][/size][/font]

[font="Helvetica"]Deadline for entries is midnight on Friday 21st February. Don't worry of you don't get something 100% finished by then. Half-baked is always better than going hungry :)[/font]

Ok, I'm submitting.

After never really getting into any flow with last months comp, I wondered if there was more to life than Kraftwerk and sci-fi soundtracks. I decided there isn't.
Nevertheless, I thought I should approach this one more loosey-goosey and instead of my usual thing of writing on the bass and then transferring to MIDI, I kept this almost all on the bass (this is BASSchat after all). The other reason is to get the CLANG of steel on steel that the inspiration picture put in my head.

Not overly happy with it by any stretch but I'm really busy with work this month so I have to leave it where it is.
Anyway, enough waffles, here's the noise:
[url="https://soundcloud.com/alittlebitrobot/clangour"]https://soundcloud.c...trobot/clangour[/url]

Edited by alittlebitrobot

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1423923296' post='2690405']
Ok, I'm submitting.

After never really getting into any flow with last months comp, I wondered if there was more to life than Kraftwerk and sci-fi soundtracks. I decided there isn't.
Nevertheless, I thought I should approach this one more loosey-goosey and instead of my usual thing of writing on the bass and then transferring to MIDI, I kept this almost all on the bass (this is BASSchat after all). The other reason is to get the CLANG of steel on steel that the inspiration picture put in my head.

Not overly happy with it by any stretch but I'm really busy with work this month so I have to leave it where it is.
Anyway, enough waffles, here's the noise:
[url="https://soundcloud.com/alittlebitrobot/clangour"]https://soundcloud.c...trobot/clangour[/url]
[/quote]

Mmm..! Waffles..!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:150404]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1423932701' post='2690536']
Whoo-whooo! Mine's done :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mornats/trains"]https://soundcloud.com/mornats/trains[/url]

I had the idea of the rough bass and the piano stabs in my head already and found some nice train-esque hi-hats in my EZdrummer midi. And now finally I can go and listen to all the others.
[/quote]

Stabs in my head..!

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:176161]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1423898135' post='2690130']
21st is Saturday, Paul
[/quote]

Oh good grief... I've done it again, haven't I!? :blink: Cheers Rob. I really must start using a calendar rather than counting on my fingers.

[color=#800000][b]To clarify: voting ends next Saturday 21st![/b][/color]

I've also amended this in the OP.

Well, it's an extra day if nothing else ;)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424008236' post='2691436']
More like this:...
[/quote]

:lol: [sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1424010485' post='2691457']
voting ends or voting begins?
[/quote]

Challenge close, voting begins...

([i]You'll have to excuse him, he's had a hard time. All those clubs, late nights, dancing till dawn; it's taken its toll. The poor fellow. We try our best, but there's a limit to even modern medical science. Still, he's 'almost harmless', as they say. Poor lad; so young[/i]...)

Edited by Dad3353