Why become a member? ×

Barefaced help

GregBass

Hi everyone
I currently play through a TC RH750 with Markbass 4x10 and 1x15, which give me a great sound. Unfortunately, even the Markbass cabs are becoming too much for my ageing back so I am considering changing to a pair of Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs. I have no experience of these, but they seem to have a great reputation and Alex at Barefaced assures me that a pair of those cabs will outperform my current rig.

Does anyone else have any experience of how the Barefaced cabs rate compared to Markbass?

Thanks

Greg

Edited by GregBass

Much cleaner sounding. My current cabs are BF Super 12Ts, previous set-up was either a pair of Markbass 12s (one combo, one ext cab) or a Markbass 212. I love the sound of the Markbass cabs, so have that now with the BF cabs, but I`ve really noticed how much treble and upper mids I don`t need now, in order to get that same sound.

So now, both my ears and back are happy - which is nice.

I've heard an RH750 played through 2 Super Compacts on a gig and it was a fantastic, huge sound.

If Alex recommend 2 BB2's as a replacement I'd believe him. He usually gives good advice when it comes to the sound people want and his cabs.

Did he say anything about the Retro 210's? They might also sound pretty good.

Edited by chris_b

I can't comment on those particular cabs but I have the big twin cab and its immense! I've used loads of different cabs throughout the years and the Barefaced is, by far, the best I've ever played through!

Re my earlier post, I should have also mentioned the BF cabs being much cleaner really helps out at gigs. Most gigs I DI to FOH, and previously what FOH got was incredibly trebly in comparison to my on-stage sound through the MB cabs, now it`s much nearer so both me and audience get the same sound.

I've been using two BB1's and the blacksmith head for the last four years . IMO it's an excellent combination and it still makes me smile when I go out front at sound checks . Need to be a bit careful not to overpower the FOH at smaller gigs . I've never used the Mark bass cabs , so I'm unable to comment on them . Certainly the weight of the barefaced cabs makes life much easier .

I had a Compact and a BB2 for a short while and ran them both at a rehearsal, which was immense with my F1 and Fusion. Two BB2s will be huge sounding, and you'll be able to walk in carrying both of them. Even my drummer volunteered to carry mine. :D

You'll need to re-EQ, mind - they're very clear, and will start off sounding very different to your current cabs.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1422703415' post='2675780']
I had a Compact and a BB2 for a short while and ran them both at a rehearsal, which was immense with my F1 and Fusion. Two BB2s will be huge sounding, and you'll be able to walk in carrying both of them. Even my drummer volunteered to carry mine. :D

You'll need to re-EQ, mind - they're very clear, and will start off sounding very different to your current cabs.
[/quote]

another BB2 (+Compact) owner here...
Lots of volume, those BB2 cabs are nice sounding, but you'll have to rethink your EQ again as they tend to be brighter and more middy than most other cabs. Ridiculously light for their output.

Don't worry about not being able to get the sound. Those BB2 cabs are designed to be a flat as possible, so you can get whatever sound you want, rather than lending themselves to a particular sound. If you want scooped, I think they'll be just fine. I've gigged a Super Compact with a Super Midget (same drivers as the BB2) and there's plenty of bottom end there and loads of click if you want to dial it in. The BB2 is designed to have even more bottom than both of those cabs, so a pair of them will be pretty ridiculous I reckon :-)

I have a stack of 2 BB2 cabs and don't find them particularly middy either.
You do have to re eq though and also stand some feet away when you do it - I did a gig last week where i thought i was missing some slam onstage but according to a punter at half time he could feel his intestines moving at the back of the room. And the diallable HF horn will give you all the sizzle you need without getting all spiky and horrible.

My BB2 arrived yesterday and finally this afternoon I have given it a go, its so light I can throw it up in the air and catch it repeatedly until i get bored of the game.
The amount of Bass that comes from the cab is unbelievable ! the joist's in my house have been singing and dancing !!!
Its early days for me but the tweeter knob is a great addition too.

This is my 2nd Barefaced cab and if I had the cash I would buy another.

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1422726072' post='2676164']
My BB2 arrived yesterday and finally this afternoon I have given it a go, its so light I can throw it up in the air and catch it repeatedly until i get bored of the game.
The amount of Bass that comes from the cab is unbelievable ! the joist's in my house have been singing and dancing !!!
Its early days for me but the tweeter knob is a great addition too.

This is my 2nd Barefaced cab and if I had the cash I would buy another.
[/quote]

It'll loosen up a bit too.......

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1422716710' post='2675980']
Hmmmm. More middy could be a problem, as it's the mid I tend to EQ out. I really need cabs with a deep bottom end and capable of punching out lots of top.
[/quote]

well, more middy, but perhaps because we're used to other cabs that are more mid-shy. They seem pretty flat, or flatter than most others. But you'll be using some form of EQ, right? It's just that whatever EQ you use, you'll probably need to modify it before it sounds good. Like with any other cab, I suppose

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422719397' post='2676019']
I don't know where you get the more middle bit from Mcnach! I find it's got tremendous bottom end. More than enough!
[/quote]

They do have bottom end! But also more mids than most other similar cabs. Probably because a lot of other cabs are a bit scooped perhaps. Either way, the BB2 is the bass cab that has the most mids (for any given setting) than any other equivalent cab I've owned. I never said it didn't have bottom. They do! Not as much as the Compact, but they do.

Not trying to derail the thread at all.

I was talking to someone the other day, and he said something very sensible. All this talk about lightweight cabs, you only maybe carry the cab a very short distance, probably only for a few seconds even, and you can get great collapsable trolleys very cheaply.

Most of the time it's the bass that causes back problems, it's the bass that is after all strapped to you for possibly 2 or 3 hours of a gig.

just a thought.

:)

Edited by ambient

From my experience lifting items more than half my body weight is not good for me, yes you can use the correct lifting techniques but how many of us train our body to lift ?
I sometimes have to carry my gear up stairs, across wet uneven surfaces ( gutters , holes in the pavement, holes in the carparks and around tight bends and over small obstacles ) and owning light weight gear makes it easier and safer to my back.

I'm with you on that, f8884. The Markbass cabs are pretty light for what they are, but I have just joined a band who rehearse upstairs in a hall with no car park. I can use my trolley to move the rig to the bottom of the stairs, but lugging it up then back down at home time has started to remind me that I'm not so young any more. I want to go for light, but it still has to have the sound.

My house has 5 steps straight away , then there's the car, across roads, possibly up more stairs, through narrow gaps, sometimes with drunken revellers blocking the way. Yes, I like the lightweight Barefaced cabs.

As for the sound. I have an SVT2 and its set up level with, if anything a slightly sad face eq, so I'm certainly not finding too many mids. Maybe different amps give different characteristics.

Oh yes! Look at my topics. I have a TC RH750 which I use through two Barefaced cabs - a Generation 2 Compact and one of those new fangled 2x10s of theirs. Both weigh in at 13.1 KG (with their RoqSolid covers on) and are easy to carry.

As for the sound? Nailed!

Edited by Jenny_Innie