Why become a member? ×

Barefaced help

GregBass

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1430826832' post='2764886']I'll probably wait for the Gen 4 options, you know the Tolex finish ones... You heard it here first :D[/quote]

Ha! I can't see us changing from tolex on the Retro 10 cabs and acrylic coating on the 12XN cabs. Or 'Generation 4' turning up for a decade odd, unless we stop being able to get certain components. :P

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1430826832' post='2764886']One other question, in my naïve little mind a component that "moves" a lot will wear out more quickly. And my interpretation is that the latest BF speaker shift more air by moving a lot more on the z-axis than other equivalent speakers. I'm sure some engineer will come along and tell me I'm wrong.[/quote]

Yes you're definitely wrong! Our speakers are actually designed to move a huge amount. Most bass guitar speakers aren't designed to move so far but often end up doing so (with high levels of distortion and a loss of punch) and therefore will wear out much sooner due to over-excursion damage.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1430731345' post='2764005']
Do you guys (& girls) play in bands? I'm all for lightweight but if something's too heavy get someone to help, easy. If someone else from the band won't help, then you're in the wrong band!
[/quote]

I mentioned lugging an SVT 8x10 around up-thread: I was a guitarist in that particular band so the fridge wasn't mine! Other side of the fence at that point. :ph34r:

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1430833337' post='2764989']
What amp/cab were you playing through? If it was a 4x12 I don't think it unreasonable the bass player having an 8x10. If it was a 1x12 then I'd be off the same opinion as you.
[/quote]
4x12. Which is 1/2 the weight and a lot more maneuverable in tight spaces (a person at each end handles them easily).

Both are light compared to a big drum-kit's hardware box though. :blink:

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1430816005' post='2764722']
I'm sure I'll be told otherwise, but I do wonder about the thin-ness of the ply being used on some of these cabs now. Standing up to the rigours of the road.
[/quote]I

I'm sure if acoustic guitars survive, so will a cab ;)

Unless you are touring in Afghanistan, maybe.